Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Scheduling with Animation in between

Steve398

Hi,

Just got my show back up after a few years away and upgraded to S6 software with a Pro license, so I'm learning as I go. My old LOR system consisted of a single AC controller turning my window decorations on and off for a few hours each night. I now have 3 AC controllers and a Pixie 8 running a few (1000) pixels, so it's very small. I added 4 HC singing trees hanging in the windows this year, thus the reason for the "upgrade". I'm too old to be crawling on the roof anymore, so the pixels on the eaves of my roof are now permanent fixtures on the house.

I have 10 minutes (so far) of content for my musical show, but I'm working on sequencing more every few days. I have an enclosed porch with a dozen or so windows (top and bottom panes) facing the street. Between shows I would like to have the animation sequence I was previously using to to turn my lighted window decorations on and off until the next show starts. The musical shows will run every 30 minutes and are now 10 minutes long, but as I add more songs I don't want to have to change the animation sequence length every time, as well as my "between show" animation schedules. My animation sequence is one minute long and has been running on a loop.

I created a schedule that plays my musical show every 30 minutes from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Is there a way to add the animation sequence between the shows so that as I add more music I don't have to keep changing the length of the animation sequence? In other words, I want the musical sequence to "interrupt" the animation sequence every half hour, and then resume the animation sequence when the musical sequence is finished. I have tried creating additional IDLE schedules between the SHOW schedules to run the animation, but after the first time they run, everything shuts down and the "Upcoming Shows" lists the next show running the next day, instead of (approx) 20 minutes later.

It looks like S6 has the ability to run a background animation sequence, but it appears (from what I have found) that this runs at the same time as the items in the MAIN schedule(?) I want to use the window decorations in my musical sequences differently from the animation. I have tried different combinations of timing for my SHOW, but I can't get them to run the way I want unless I just run the music and leave all the lights off when it finishes.

I have searched the forum but can't find anything that explains the same thing I am trying to do, as a lot of the questions were for SW previous to S6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Create a show and put your musical sequences in the main tab. Then put your animation sequences in the main tab as well, underneath the musical sequences you want to run. Go ahead and make the animation sequences run for 20 to 30 minutes. You can have multiple animation sequences or you can just have one long sequence there. Now under the options tab, select end song immediately at the end of the show; that will apply for the animation as well. Now go through and schedule a show every half hour.

Thanks Don,

That was how I originally set it up, but I didn't think about how the "Stop Immediately" setting would work. I made the changes and now have a new schedule running every 30 minutes with my music, and then the IDLE sequence at the end of each one on a loop for 21 minutes, and the new setting applied. I'll respond with an update after tonight's show if I have any problems.

My sincerest thanks.

Steve

You are going to get my standard answer for people who want to have a big chunk of non-show.  Unless there is a very specific reason that you have to run non-musical for large portions of time - DON'T.  If viewers drive by and your musical show is not running, they will just keep on driving and will NOT come back.  Just let the musical run...

Just my opinion...

• Like 2

Completely agree with k6ccc on this.  If you're running large chunks of static or looping same animstion over extensive periods of time, folks will just see your display as another "static" or boring lights running the same routine over and over. 

They'll have no clue as to your musical part of the show, will drive away, and chances are very slim to none they'll come back.

As Jim stated:  Let the music lal show loop amd run, otherwise you'll just be running folks off with static/animated lights that repeat the same thing.

The ONLY time my lights go static and animated is during my overnight hours, then the daytime show runs until my show starts back up and repeats through the Christmas Season.

Just can't fathom a really good reason to break a show up with a bunch of static or animations between each show.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

You are going to get my standard answer for people who want to have a big chunk of non-show.  Unless there is a very specific reason that you have to run non-musical for large portions of time - DON'T.  If viewers drive by and your musical show is not running, they will just keep on driving and will NOT come back.  Just let the musical run...

Just my opinion...

You have a valid point. However...
My reason for the "idle" time has to do with threats of being charged for their "time" if city law enforcement gets complaints and has to  respond to traffic problems too many times on our narrow street (yes, they said that). My street is one block long, and is accessible from both ends, but is so narrow that if people start parking on both sides, there is only room for one car to get through. This is also the reason I don't broadcast the music via the radio. If they want to watch the show, they can stand outside and listen to it on an outdoor speaker on my house. instead of in the car, but not loud enough to disturb the neighbors in their homes. It's also the reason I gave up on this whole idea 3 years ago and sold off all the LOR equipment I had for half the price I paid. I decided to scale it back considerably this year from my original plan, and will adjust my shows to one per hour if it starts to become a problem. But I want the "idle" time to allow the street to clear. I won't ever have a show that lasts longer than 15 minutes or so, and once I have more music to add I'll break the songs up and play different shows on different days or times.

I'm doing this because I want it. If others appreciate it then great. 

Still not working
The show plays just fine for 30 minutes. When it ends after 30 minutes, the status changes to "No Scheduled Show is Active" and the rest of the shows that were supposed to play for the day state they are now scheduled for tomorrow.

I have one show scheduled for 5:00 to 5:30 (call this show 1), then the next show is 5:30 to 6:00 (call this show 2), and so on. The animation sequence is the last item in each show, and finishes at the end of every show to take up the remaining time before the next show starts. I have the options set to "Stop Immediately" so the next schedule can start, but the next show doesn't start because the software acts like there is nothing more to do.

I've tried adding a 1 minute delay (show 1 ends at 5:29) but that was no help since the SW acts like it was the end of the day, and not the end of the show for that time period, and won't stay active for show 2's time trigger.

I started the 6:30 show (which is scheduled to run from 6:30 to 7:00) by closing the Control Panel, and reopening it after the 6:00 show ran and did not kick off the next show. Here is the log file output.

2023-12-02 6:30:28 PM    Scheduler    Information    Schedule loaded
2023-12-02 6:30:32 PM    Scheduler    Information    Enable schedule requested
2023-12-02 6:30:33 PM    Player    Information    C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\630 Show.lss - Playback File Initialization
2023-12-02 6:30:33 PM    Player    Information    Started show: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\630 Show.lss
2023-12-02 6:30:33 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Clark Grizwold Intro.loredit
2023-12-02 6:30:45 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Clark Grizwold Intro.loredit
2023-12-02 6:30:45 PM    Player    Information    Starting Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:30:45 PM    Player    Information    Delaying between musical sequences for 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:30:46 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:30:46 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\THX Short Circuit.loredit
2023-12-02 6:31:29 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\THX Short Circuit.loredit
2023-12-02 6:31:29 PM    Player    Information    Starting Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:31:29 PM    Player    Information    Delaying between musical sequences for 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:31:30 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:31:30 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.loredit
2023-12-02 6:34:42 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.loredit
2023-12-02 6:34:42 PM    Player    Information    Starting Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:34:42 PM    Player    Information    Delaying between musical sequences for 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:34:43 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:34:43 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Dr Seuss - You're A Mean One, Mr.loredit
2023-12-02 6:35:43 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Dr Seuss - You're A Mean One, Mr.loredit
2023-12-02 6:35:43 PM    Player    Information    Starting Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:35:43 PM    Player    Information    Delaying between musical sequences for 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:35:44 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:35:44 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Christmas Can Can.loredit
2023-12-02 6:38:26 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Christmas Can Can.loredit
2023-12-02 6:38:26 PM    Player    Information    Starting Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:38:26 PM    Player    Information    Delaying between musical sequences for 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:38:27 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:38:27 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Christmas Dont be Late.loredit
2023-12-02 6:40:51 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Christmas Dont be Late.loredit
2023-12-02 6:40:51 PM    Player    Information    Starting Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:40:51 PM    Player    Information    Delaying between musical sequences for 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:40:52 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Musical Delay - 1 seconds
2023-12-02 6:40:52 PM    Player    Information    Starting Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Idle Time.loredit
2023-12-02 7:00:00 PM    Scheduler    Information    Request received to stop show: Immediately
2023-12-02 7:00:00 PM    Player    Information    Stopping Main: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\Idle Time.loredit
2023-12-02 7:00:00 PM    Player    Information    Shutting down show: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\630 Show.lss
2023-12-02 7:00:00 PM    Player    Information    Finished show: C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Christmas 2023\630 Show.lss

Without being able to see your schedule/shows, it's hard to say what's going on. I know it works because I have it running in more than one location.

Don't over think it. Just add the musical sequences then enough animation sequences to go over 30 min. The schedule the shows every half hour.

37 minutes ago, Don said:

Without being able to see your schedule/shows, it's hard to say what's going on. I know it works because I have it running in more than one location.

Don't over think it. Just add the musical sequences then enough animation sequences to go over 30 min. The schedule the shows every half hour.

I have it set up exactly as you described.
I wish I could post a screen shot, but the forum keeps throwing me an error message when I try to attach or copy a pic

"1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 20.707kB and was skipped"

This forum has a VERY limited file upload capacity.  Post the screen capture to a website (Google Drive for example) and post a link.

I'm thinking there is eithet some type of time conflict somewhere or the filename being used for the show files could be possibly be an issue.

I played around with this years ago when I had to run my show off my computer for a few years, but I still used filenames such as Show01_530, Show02_600, etc , etc.

I never used blank spaces in my showfile names, well, I did once, and for some reason they were a problem, very similar to the ops filename, leading numbers, empty space, alphabetical name.

Sometimes, for some reason a blank space after leading numbers seems to create problems in some cases.  That's why I use either the underscore _ character, or a dash - in my filenames, if using(running) a computer to run my show.  Didn't have issues after I started doing that. 

However, that may have been something unique in my case, but tossing it out for a possibility of something to try.  Something that had worked for me when I was toying with a similar idea years ago.

Edited by Orville

10 hours ago, Orville said:

I'm thinking there is eithet some type of time conflict somewhere or the filename being used for the show files could be possibly be an issue.

I played around with this years ago when I had to run my show off my computer for a few years, but I still used filenames such as Show01_530, Show02_600, etc , etc.

I never used blank spaces in my showfile names, well, I did once, and for some reason they were a problem, very similar to the ops filename, leading numbers, empty space, alphabetical name.

Sometimes, for some reason a blank space after leading numbers seems to create problems in some cases.  That's why I use either the underscore _ character, or a dash - in my filenames, if using(running) a computer to run my show.  Didn't have issues after I started doing that. 

However, that may have been something unique in my case, but tossing it out for a possibility of something to try.  Something that had worked for me when I was toying with a similar idea years ago.

I fixed it!!! I appreciate the input, it got me thinking about how I created the show files.
It wasn't a time conflict, or the filename that was the problem.

To be honest, I don't know what was causing the issue, but your response reminded me that I created the first "show" file from scratch, a simple animation sequence that runs until it gets dark enough to see the lights better. Then I created the second show from scratch, which has my musical sequences, and added the animation at the end to fill time until the next "show" starts. The transition from the first (animation) show to the second (musical) show ran fine. But for some reason the schedule was killed at the end of the first musical show when it was supposed to transition to the next show, and the rest of the shows would not run. Even if I restarted the CP, the "current" show would start and run, but would also kill the schedule and nothing would play after that.

Originally I copied the second show over and over to create my "every 30 minutes" show files.
I wondered if something in those COPIED show files was off (SW glitch maybe?), so I made them all inactive and recreated the "every 30 minutes" show files one at a time instead of copying them.

When I ran the show using the new files, everything worked as expected.

I've been working in software testing for 25 years and finally took my own advise: You cant keep doing the same thing over and over the same way and expect a different result. So I started over.

Some hobby, making me use what I learned at work to fix this...

But I digress. Thanks to everyone for the help!!

Edited by Steve398

3 minutes ago, Orville said:

Glad you found and resolved the issue!😃

Me too.
S6 definitely doesn't like if you use an existing show schedule, and then edit the time and "save as" as a different filename.
But I also discovered that I can make one schedule for the musical sequences, and keep using the ADD button in the "Create Shows" area to schedule the same show as often as I need it. So now I have 1 "Animation" schedule, and 1 "Musical" schedule that I can add or remove show times without creating the same show over and over. Just add or remove shows as needed.to the list.

9 minutes ago, Steve398 said:

Me too.
S6 definitely doesn't like if you use an existing show schedule, and then edit the time and "save as" as a different filename.
But I also discovered that I can make one schedule for the musical sequences, and keep using the ADD button in the "Create Shows" area to schedule the same show as often as I need it. So now I have 1 "Animation" schedule, and 1 "Musical" schedule that I can add or remove show times without creating the same show over and over. Just add or remove shows as needed.to the list.

Directors don't like that "Save As" option either.  Not always, but sometimes I have to reload a sequence that used "Save As", and make a change, then use "Save" and it works.

Have no idea why "Save As" creates an issue, by rights, it shouldn't, but on occassion it does create issues, and most always when it comes to creating Show files!🤔

Edited by Orville

3 hours ago, Steve398 said:

If you don't make the show inactive before Save As, then it will notify you about a potential conflict in times. You can say "okay" and then go mark active/inactive the shows you need to change. Having used Save As many (many) times this season, I've not encountered an error.

3 hours ago, Orville said:

Not always, but sometimes I have to reload a sequence that used "Save As", and make a change, then use "Save" and it works.

Interesting. Never had an issue with Save As in the sequencer, ever, unless you count the saving it with the wrong name.

16 minutes ago, Don said:

Interesting. Never had an issue with Save As in the sequencer, ever, unless you count the saving it with the wrong name.

This is not an issue with the sequencer, it is in the "Create Shows" menu on the Control Panel. Creating a show and saving it with one name, then using the Edit function to change something and Save As to "copy" the show with another name.

44 minutes ago, Don said:

Seems to only be an issue if you use Save As then use the file saved with that from the SE to create an SD Card show for a Director unit. 

I've only encountered it a few times, as it's not a common occurrence.

Edited by Orville