Light-O-Rama Forums

Convert Sequences/Ribbons for smaller tree?

LaughsBrightly

I bought a Pixie16, 16 5-meter ribbons, and some sequences from WowLights 

I have since discovered that a 17' tree is not going to work in my yard (only place I can put it is 17' from the road).

So, I am wondering if there is a way to cut down the ribbons and/or edit the sequences for an 8' or so tree and still have decent looking images?

Pretty sure I'm out of luck, but the only stupid question is the one you don't Ask, right?

If you bought the You Can Modify sequences from WowLights you can re-sequence them however you like. I have several YCM RGB sequences from WowLights and initially reworked their arches to cut them in half. That way I got 4 arches that were half the size and number of lights. I was able to use a Pixie II to run one string (now 2 arches) on one port and the other 2 arches on the other port. I cut and pasted the top half of each of their original Arches into the 4 new Arches I created in the sequencer.  So what you are proposing can be done. The strips have cut marks. You can cut them down to size and you want to seal the cut end. I would create new props of the size strips (number of lights) you plan, and copy that number from the original tree sequences into the new ones and see how it looks. With a little practice, you can change the effect, of say a total chase down the original that takes, say, 2 secs, to lengthen the new shorter string to run fewer lights in that same time frame to keep in time with the music.

It can be done, but it's a little late to get started on it. I know that I when start something this late and find myself trying to hurry, it just leads to frustration. Good luck! 

If you only want it to be about 8 foot tall I would use 12mm Pixels. That way you can still have resolution at 50 x16 pixels. I know you have ribbons, but with ribbons, if you cut them down to half their size from 16 to 8 foot you will reduce the tree to 25 x 16 res. from 50 x 16. This lowers the resolution. also with 50 x 16 pixels you would NOT  need to create a new prop. I would say go with pixels and also I would recommend not cutting the ribbons and then find a new use for the them, That's my thought on it.

Kenny

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information. Agreed I didn't have the time to re-sequence.  While looking into options like 12mm pixels, I found 3.5 meter ribbons with the density to maintain the resolution and they worked great. Ended up with a 13' tree. No resequencing.

• Like 1