Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows Shell Command not working in S6 Show Player

Tim Fischer

Hi! I'm having issues with Windows Command.

I have a new LED sign that I'm trying to send the name of the sequence for every song in my show. I use a `curl` command to do this, to the IP address of the LED sign.

When I run the sequence in the sequence editor, it works great. However, it is not happening when the show is played via the show player. This is on the same machine where it works in the SE.

Here's a screen shot of what I"m attempting to do. The command is not getting executed from the show however.

I blew away all my playback files and regenerated them to no avail. I then went through and re-selected the command in each sequence and re-saved it, again rebuilding the whole show. Nope.

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 11.58.09 AM.png

Windows command processing is working just fine.  It's an absolute requirement for MIIP to work.  A couple things.  First, at least prior to S6, in order for new commands to be processed, the Show Player had to be restarted.  If you have not tried it, exit the Control Panel and restart it.

Second, I wonder if it relates to it being a curl command.  Maybe the curl command is being executed, but the part after the space following "curl" is not being passed to the curl processor.  I have no clue if this will help, but try putting the entire command in quotation marks.

Here's a work around that would not be too hard to implement.  Write a simple batch or cmd file with the curl command and have the Show Player call the batch or cmd file.  Yes, you would need to have a separate batch or cmd file for each song, but it would take seconds to create each one.  Remember to restart the CP after doing that to make sure it picks up the new commands.

4 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

In Sequencer, Tools\ Sequencer Preferences in the playback tab, check, use in both Seq and Show.

Despite that checkbox, that does NOT affect commands in the S6 Show Player.  That DOES affect the Sequencer trying to run the commands (that was one of my requests a while back - thank you Matt).   I just checked both my file server (which runs the landscaping show off-season), and my show computer.  Both of those computers have neither of those check boxes checked.  Both computers are playing sequences that execute Windows commands.

Jim you're my hero. I didn't even think to restart the CP (much less reboot). It's working now. Thanks so much!

5 minutes ago, Tim Fischer said:

Jim you're my hero. I didn't even think to restart the CP (much less reboot). It's working now. Thanks so much!

At least it was the easiest answer.  That also confirms that a CP restart is required to pick up new Windows commands in s6.

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

At least it was the easiest answer.  That also confirms that a CP restart is required to pick up new Windows commands in s6.

Yep. I had a ticket open to the LOR HD for this as well. I commented telling them "never mind", but also added a feature request: CP could certainly monitor the save date on the cmdmap.lcm file just as it does sequence playback files, and reload appropriately.