Light-O-Rama Forums

4 CTB 16 PC Controllers and CAT 5 for sell cheap

cliffgraham5

I use to have 3 acres to run my Light-O-Rama program.  We moved due to age and can no longer use our program and controllers at the new house.  We have Extra small front yard.

I have 4 CTB 16 PC Controllers and some CAT 5 I would like to sell to someone that wants to use it.  I don't really want to sell it just for someone to resale.  I now live in GEORGETOWN TX and would like for anyone interested in what I have to come check it out.  That way you know it works and looks like brand new.   Please contact me if you are interested.

Yes, you posted in the right part of the forum.  However as more people move AC strings to pixels, there is less demand for AC controllers and lots of them available.

You might include the Generation (and if they are a user soldered Kit).  IMHO A Gen2 is not very useful to a new user,

HU can list the firmware and model)

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you posted in the right part of the forum.  However as more people move AC strings to pixels, there is less demand for AC controllers and lots of them available.

Yep, ain't that the truth.  I have 3 old Gen1's, 1 is in need of repair(cat5 jacks need to be resoldered), 1 is inside large wooden ammo box(inside use only), and 1 is outside, and in use, mainly to supply power to my N4G4 Director, and only 6 channels now in use.

Once I end using the incandescent blow molds and move to similar characters and items in RGB coro props/hard plastic, all those blowmolds that are well used and falling apart will be retired very soon.  And I may just keep the one AC controlker to power the Director, or may opt to use its adapter and remove the CTB16, just no real need for one much today.

Majority of my display is now pixels except for the few blowmolds I'm still using.

If this were back in 2010, I'd have jumped on tbe chance to get more CTB16PC ~AC~  Controllers, but not in 2023, they are being replaced by pixel controllers more and more now.

There's not a single old fashioned 120VAC light string currenty in my display anywhere.  Think ~AC~ Controllers are going the way of the dinosaur...exinct.🤫🤔🙃

Just this year(2023) alone I did away with hundreds of extension cords, and dropped my Cat5 runs from 2022(over 40+ Cat5 runs) down to a total of 5 Cat5 cables) thanks to going mainly RGB.

I didn't even sell some of my other CTB16PC controllers, I just gave them away, but they did have to be picked up locally.

Just didn't think it was worth it in the new age of Pixels and Pixel Controllers, which has made it faster and easier to get my display up over the age of ~AC~ Controllers and all that Cat5 and hundreds of extension cord runs 🙂

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

Good feedback, Thank You.  I could see that the light o'rama and WOW sites were still selling them.   How do you tell the generation, firmware and model of these units? 

Mine are these:    The CTB16PC is a fully assembled 16 channel computer controlled light controller that can handle a total of 30 amps. Each of the 16 independent channels can turn on, off, set to a specified brightness, ramp up or down, twinkle, and shimmer.
The PC-CTB16PC comes installed in a weather resistant enclosure allowing it to be used indoors and outdoors.
Technical Specs:
Outputs: 16
Maximum Amps: 30
Includes High Power Heatsink

Thanks for your help!!   Cliff

RED LED usually a Generation 1 and can only operate at a maximum speed of 115.4k. 

A Generation 3 will have a GREEN LED in the CTB16PC Controller and can operate at 500k network speeds.

Open HU to a connected controller, it will show you details about it when you click on the refresh button, and HU finds the unit.

Shows ID #, Controller type(don't think it shows generation though) and FirmWare installed in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I could be interested too, although I have 2 that didn't get used this year, but would like to get some neighbors involved and even setup ELL's or something similar. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:34 PM, cliffgraham5 said:

I use to have 3 acres to run my Light-O-Rama program.  We moved due to age and can no longer use our program and controllers at the new house.  We have Extra small front yard.

I have 4 CTB 16 PC Controllers and some CAT 5 I would like to sell to someone that wants to use it.  I don't really want to sell it just for someone to resale.  I now live in GEORGETOWN TX and would like for anyone interested in what I have to come check it out.  That way you know it works and looks like brand new.   Please contact me if you are interested.

Where I live I don't even have what you could even call a front yard!  And I set up a small display using whatever space I can find.  My front yard is the sidewalk from my handicap ramp to my driveway, which takes up about 3' wide and 18' long, then I have a small rectangular area directly in what they call the front(actually an end, manufactured home in a home park), that space is only 15' long and slightly over 2' wide.  My side yards are taken up on one side by the driveway  the other side by a 66' long wrap around handicap ramp to my front door.

This is what I used this past year for my 2023 Christmas Display: 1 CTB16PC Controller for 6 blowmolds (Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Santa Mouse, Snow Woman, and 2 - 2 Channel Noel Candles): total channels used: 8.

I also have 2 Pixie4D controllers, 1 controls 2 LOR Singing Trees (Ralphie and Zuzu), the other Pixie4D controls 1 RGB Snowman, 2 RGB Angels and a Chroma Cross (in 2024 their will be 4  RGB Angels and 2 RGB Snowmen on that P4D controller).

I also have a Pixie16D, this controlled my 3 HC RGB Medium sized Snowflakes, 8 HC 10W Smart RGB floodlights, and 6 HC RGB C9 strawberry strings (didn't get everything done for 2023 like I wanted, we had excessive rains during when I'd set up).  Hopefully I'll have 10 strings of HC C9 strawberry strings installed next year. The additional 2 Angels drilled out and populated with HC RGB square nodes, along with the RGB snowman that uses HC RGB square nodes.  The snowmen came with a 4 bulb incandescent string which I opted not to use, just didn't light it very well.  So replaced those with a 50 count RGB HC C9 string.  Worked out perfectly.

Anyone can do a display in a small space, just takes a bit of ingenuity and determination, and a smidgen of stubborness!🤣🤣🤣

I have no idea what your age is or health issues, but here are mine, I am legally blind(vision is severely impaired), around 80-90% deaf, bad shoulders, bad back, bad knees, bad mitro valve in my heart, COPD and Asthma, along with bad arthritis in my hands and knees.  My age I'll be 68 in November 2024.

My neighbors are always impressed how I utilize such a small space to put up my display, but I'm just too damn stubborn🤨🫨😁 to stop doing it. 

Believe me, since I became disabled in 2009 and my health not being as good as I wish it was with my medical conditions, I had thought about not doing my displays any longer (didn't even get into this hobby until 2010).

But my internal drive, aling with my neighbors keep me doing it year after year.  Sure, it takes me longer to get it up, as my display changes in placement of props every year, 2024 I got some ideas on how to utilize the small grass parkway area in front of the house.  So display, once again, will get a completely new makeover.

Like they say, you're only as young as you feel, and honestly, when I'm putting up my display I feel like a young child again, although in an old geezers body.🤣🤣🤣

I have to stop and take more breaks than I used to.  So, if I live to be 150, I'm so stubborn not to stop, I'd probably still try and get a display.

I just refuse to allow my disabilities and medical issues or very limited yard space to stop me from something I really do enjoy doing!

Edited by Orville

Jumping on an old thread, but I have a bunch of Gen 1 in my display and they still work just fine... IF you run them on DMX instead of LOR network. Why? Because then you get the full benefit of motion rows and effects. 

I made this change this year and everything performed spectacularly. I've been using DMX in my display for over a decade but I've always just ran two separate networks... this actually neatened up a bit of my display wiring.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:08 PM, Tim Fischer said:

Jumping on an old thread, but I have a bunch of Gen 1 in my display and they still work just fine... IF you run them on DMX instead of LOR network. Why? Because then you get the full benefit of motion rows and effects. 

I made this change this year and everything performed spectacularly. I've been using DMX in my display for over a decade but I've always just ran two separate networks... this actually neatened up a bit of my display wiring.

I've never quite understood DMX or how to use it, so I never went with it. 

Looked and read a little on it, but just didn't seem to be my cup of coffee 

12 hours ago, Orville said:

I've never quite understood DMX or how to use it, so I never went with it. 

Looked and read a little on it, but just didn't seem to be my cup of coffee 

If you understand LOR's unit and channel IDs (and I assume you do) then DMX isn't any harder. There are a few mental and wiring hoops to jump through to use LOR controllers on a DMX network but the bar is pretty low. 

4 hours ago, Tim Fischer said:

If you understand LOR's unit and channel IDs (and I assume you do) then DMX isn't any harder. There are a few mental and wiring hoops to jump through to use LOR controllers on a DMX network but the bar is pretty low. 

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think a Director can do DMX.  But, I'm not sure about that, will have to consult my N4G4 Director manual to be sure.

13 hours ago, Orville said:

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think a Director can do DMX.  But, I'm not sure about that, will have to consult my N4G4 Director manual to be sure.

You may well be right. I've been running my show from a PC for 21 seasons now. As of this past season I'm 100% E1.31