Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio plug on computer won't play my show to its potential

mwittkamper

Whenever I have audio head jack plugged into my computer to transmitter I get " error with sequence ( invalid procedure call or argument)". Some sequences will play with the lights coming on 10-15 second after it starts. I have tried two different cables. When nothing is plugged in to audio out Port on laptop the show plays fine. I have Reinstalled software. Not sure what else to do. Has anyone seen anything Like this?

Edited by mwittkamper

Sounds to me that the laptop audio out jack has some type of internal issue where something has been wired incorrectly to the computer motherboard somehow. (would think this very unlikely, though).

I'm thinking you might be using the wrong jack for audio, either from the laptop or into the transmitter.

As I've never seen anything like you described, but I have seen those errors from the Sequencer from time to time when sequencing and gotten that error loading or saving a large sequence file, or something went flaky somewhere, had to shut down the LOR software and reload, then everything worked fine.

So you may want to unload the LOR Software and do a reboot, then try again and see if the problem persists.

Other than this, I have no idea why just plugging an audio cable from a laptop to a transmitter would create any such errors or problems.  It just doesn't make sense.

Edited by Orville

I agree with Orville, unusual for a Laptop.

OTOH a desktop has both a front and rear set of connections and it detects when a plug is inserted and there is (supposed to be ) a question that pops up Use: Line In or headphones.

I have had that message submerge on my Dell and getting it to be uncovered was tricky (I had to close other apps. because the message belonged to the OS, not apps)

Another possibility is you are using another Audio Out Device normally: HDMI or Blutooth and that needs to switch

Make sure you are using the proper ends. TRS (Tip / Ring / Sleeve) is standard for stereo out like headphones and out to a transmitter. You can also use TS for mono.  Try to stay away from TRRS which has a mic ring. I have seen those cause all types of issues.

USB to what type of jack? Again TRRS is very common nowadays and can cause issues. If it's USB to TRS that should be fine but I don't think I have seen one. They all typically add the mic component.

46 minutes ago, mwittkamper said:

Both cords are TRS, two ring. Still does it through Bluetooth though.

Are you specifically using Bluetooth per chance?

If the answer to that is yes, this could be why the music and lights are getting out of sync. 

Bluetooth IS notorious for delayed sound, which can be just enough to throw your show completely out of sync, lights and music not playing well together.

If you're using bluetooth technology you probably want to get rid of it. 

Many users that have tried using bluetooth speakers have experienced lights and music/sounds getting out of sync with each other. 

Just not a good match for a musical light show display 

Edited by Orville

No only tried using my Bluetooth head phones to see if I sill get the 15 second delay in lights from when song starts which It did .

Dumb question, but if you play say a youtube video or something not LOR is it synchronized properly?  If so I would say that most likely it is LOR Software related.  The show player would control the audio hardware.  Also i have found that when i play the show for the first time it has to create a log for each file and can delay the start of the song.  i wonder if the show is not waiting while the Log is created.  maybe try a show of one song and let if play through at least 2 times to see if corrects.

If you watch the control panel you can see the logs its creating.  perhaps pasting the error in the forum would be helpful.  

Op may need to get the LOR Regwipe software, uninstall the LOR Software, run the LOR Regwipe(I think you have to ask the LOR Help Desk for it?), then re-install the software.

It's about the only thing I can think to do, as this will remove ALL traces of the LOR Software from the Windows Registry.

I'm thinking perhaps there is something in the registry that might be causing the issue, even though it runs fine when audio is not connected to the transmitter, but every time you connect something when the LOR Software is running seems to cause the issue.

So, I'd try this, and if that doesn't correct the issue, either there has to be something not configured correctly in the Windows settings that is creating this, or by very rare chance, the audio part of your laptop has some type error that only a repair center can correct, it'd be very rare, but the on-board audio board may not have been programmed properly when it was created.

But I really believe it's some type of software conflict created by additional LOR info still in the registry(from prior installs or older versions info still in registry), or be a configuration error in the Windows settings, it might actually be both.  LOR Regwipe can fix the registry issues, but you'll have to locate and correct any sound settings in Windows.   

One thing I had to do was to tell Windows the LOR software was an exception, and give it permission to run, I had to do this for every .exe file in the LOR Software suite that ran anything related to LOR.

Been a long time since I did that, so I don't recall how I did it, and may be something you need to do to get the software to play correctly.

These are about the only things left that I can think of that could possibly be creating your issues.

Edited by Orville

Thanks to all for the support. When I just play one song on a loop I get nothing but errors on the log screen if the song doesn't play, if it does play lights delayed and then at restart of song I get hundreds of errors all saying same thing on log. I have tried Uninstalling software and reinstall, I have Uninstaller audio drivers, I have even tried using a mirror screen which is by HDMI that has audio plug all still doing the same. I may have to look into the regwipe as suggested or get a new computer to run it. Once again I appreciate the support but my knowledge of the system has been put to the test and I'm at a lost. 

1 hour ago, mwittkamper said:

Thanks to all for the support. When I just play one song on a loop I get nothing but errors on the log screen if the song doesn't play, if it does play lights delayed and then at restart of song I get hundreds of errors all saying same thing on log. I have tried Uninstalling software and reinstall, I have Uninstaller audio drivers, I have even tried using a mirror screen which is by HDMI that has audio plug all still doing the same. I may have to look into the regwipe as suggested or get a new computer to run it. Once again I appreciate the support but my knowledge of the system has been put to the test and I'm at a lost. 

I see you're in Florida, what part?  I'm in NE Orlando(Union Park area).

12 minutes ago, Orville said:

I see you're in Florida, what part?  I'm in NE Orlando(Union Park area).

Pinellas county/ tampa bay area

2 minutes ago, mwittkamper said:

Pinellas county/ tampa bay area

Unfortunately I can no longer drive(gave up my DL in 2013 and sold our vehicle, as my wife can no longer drive either), or I'd have offered to drive over and take a look at your computer to see if I could figure out what's going on with it and your audio and light delay issues.

That's why I asked where you were located.  I know there are (or were) a few LOR users in that area thsylt may have been able to help in person (if they're so inclined).  Wish I could help out in person, then perhsps we could have find the issue creating this.

11 minutes ago, Orville said:

Unfortunately I can no longer drive(gave up my DL in 2013 and sold our vehicle, as my wife can no longer drive either), or I'd have offered to drive over and take a look at your computer to see if I could figure out what's going on with it and your audio and light delay issues.

That's why I asked where you were located.  I know there are (or were) a few LOR users in that area thsylt may have been able to help in person (if they're so inclined).  Wish I could help out in person, then perhsps we could have find the issue creating this.

I really appreciate that, thank you.

17 hours ago, dgander said:

Have you opened a ticket with LOR? If you have a log file with errors they can diagnose.

I have not, kinda gave up on it

The LOR team has been really helpful the times i have used them.  its a little clunky to open a ticket.  you could probably call them during open hours to help you place a ticket.  you can try emailing HELPDESK@Lightorama.com if you cannot launch a ticket the normal way.