Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing trees won’t come on!!!

Price Family Lights

I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem. I went to hook up my singing trees the exact way I did last year and only Felix came on. He seemed to be lagging in his singing. I have them arranged Elden, Felix, Zuzu, and Ralph’s. I have them dazie chained just like I am supposed to and I just can’t figure out why they aren’t working. It was raining earlier today, will this cause them not to work? I have the controllers sealed up tight, just can’t figure it out. If anyone else has had this problem please let me know what you did to fix it. I had this happen a few years ago, and then they just started to work after that, but I had no problems the last 2 years. 

Thanks,

Mike

Anything can happen with water, the most powerful source on earth.

When it happens have you tried to wiggle your data cable, if all of them are not working I would start with the first data cable. 

if some work and some don’t I would look at the cables in between.

Elsin and Felix could have a bad cable.

While they are all daisy chained together have you ran a HU search? This will give you some clues if one or all are not found.

I will monitor this but I don’t live in teh forums during the busy season. I will reply as soon as I see a reply.

JR

Since those trees come with the controllers, did the get stored  connected (in place) or did you attache the controllers to the trees  at setup?

CAT5  daisy chain, is the cable end clicking into place (leave the 'cap' loose for the test. I have had the tang catch and release while installing the  water resistant cap )

💡 Use HU to set each controller to use the firs LED as status (tic at the bottom), the LED mimics the status LED until the first sequence. That shows you have power and LOR Net connected.

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Since those trees come with the controllers, did the get stored  connected (in place) or did you attache the controllers to the trees  at setup?

CAT5  daisy chain, is the cable end clicking into place (leave the 'cap' loose for the test. I have had the tang catch and release while installing the  water resistant cap )

💡 Use HU to set each controller to use the firs LED as status (tic at the bottom), the LED mimics the status LED until the first sequence. That shows you have power and LOR Net connected.

It is not recommended to change ANY settings on the controllers that come with the singers. They are all preset at the factory. 

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

It is not recommended to change ANY settings on the controllers that come with the singers. They are all preset at the factory. 

JR

I changed mine with no problems whatsoever, ran them for 2 years with Pixie2Ds set at ID #06/07 for Ralphie and ID #08/09 for Zuzu.

Now they are on my Pixie16D, Ports 3 & 4 using ID #0C/0D for Ralphie, and Ports 5 & 6 using ID #0E/0F for Zuzu, haven't had any issues changing there Port and ID assignments from the presets. Last year they were on the same ports, but controller got a new ID for 2023, so there previous port ID #'s were: #17/18 forbRalphie and ID #19/1A for Zuzu, ran flawlessly for the duration.

Re-ID'd because I added 2 Pixie4D's to my display for 2023, and I wanted consecutive ID's in sequential order. 

Just MY preferences, YMMV.

Edited by Orville

3 hours ago, Orville said:

I changed mine with no problems whatsoever, ran them for 2 years with Pixie2Ds set at ID #06/07 for Ralphie and ID #08/09 for Zuzu.

Now they are on my Pixie16D, Ports 3 & 4 using ID #0C/0D for Ralphie, and Ports 5 & 6 using ID #0E/0F for Zuzu, haven't had any issues changing there Port and ID assignments from the presets. Last year they were on the same ports, but controller got a new ID for 2023, so there previous port ID #'s were: #17/18 forbRalphie and ID #19/1A for Zuzu, ran flawlessly for the duration.

Re-ID'd because I added 2 Pixie4D's to my display for 2023, and I wanted consecutive ID's in sequential order. 

Just MY preferences, YMMV.

Orville, Im not talking about unit ID's.

JR

I was mainly talking about turning on 1st pixel status. as a handy way of seeing that Power and Net are there with the cover on the controller.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I was mainly talking about turning on 1st pixel status. as a handy way of seeing that Power and Net are there with the cover on the controller.

I know but people get in there and start experimenting/ troubleshooting and then mess everything up. LOL Trust me Ive seen it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Orville, Im not talking about unit ID's.

My apologies, I thought you were.

But I take the term settings to mean most anything to do with a controller, ID is a setting, defining a prop(if available is a setting), so it's kind of a broad term in some situations.

And many refer to incorrect terms for what they are actually asking about, like the channel vs port confusion, ethernet vs RS-485 connections via cat5 cable on a controller, among other things that sometimes throws the question off being asked.