Light-O-Rama Forums

Have some old Kit style LOR controllers, CTB16, trying to set Unit IDs on 2 rotary selectors. Help with diagram?

Rhizzlebop

Hi,

I have some old controllers I bought a year or so ago.  Using some more this season and need to change the unit IDs.   Somewhere previously I found the unit ID list for controller numbers, but now I cant find where I printed and saved that.

Can someone help direct  me?

I picked up one, and the left dial was on 0 and second on 7.  It was written on as ID 7.  I changed it to 0 (left) and 8(right) and it is now reading as 8.  PERFECT!!

The next one, I switched it to 0 (left) and 9 (right), but hardware utility is picking it up as ID 5.  Which I already have a 5 so I need an ID 9.

help appreciated.

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Are you still on S4?

Basic plus is limited to 04 ID  Standard is 08 ID You need an upgrade  for 09

I've already upgraded from standard to advanced.  But I'm just talking about seeing the unit in Hardware utility, not sequencer.

Yes I'm on S4.  But again, hardware utility should see any ID Is et it to.   I just cant control multiple ones above a certain number  (but now on advanced I can have unlimited.

26 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The rotary switch may be dirty.  Rotate the switch all the around several times.  Try it again.

Since TV tuners have gone way of the dinosaur, I wonder if a product called "TV Tuner Cleaner" is still around?

I used to use that on rotary mechanical switches all the time, but now most everything is "digital", so if this stuff still happens to be available  I'd get a few cans of it to have on hand.

This stuff would clean and have those rotary switches cleaned and working in just a few seconds!

Used to buy it at most TV Repair and some Electronic parts stores, but even these have been vanishing quite a lot over the years now.

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Rhizzlebop said:

I've already upgraded from standard to advanced.  But I'm just talking about seeing the unit in Hardware utility, not sequencer.

Yes I'm on S4.  But again, hardware utility should see any ID Is et it to.   I just cant control multiple ones above a certain number  (but now on advanced I can have unlimited.

You might update your forum profile

19 hours ago, Orville said:

Since TV tuners have gone way of the dinosaur, I wonder if a product called "TV Tuner Cleaner" is still around?

I used to use that on rotary mechanical switches all the time, but now most everything is "digital", so if this stuff still happens to be available  I'd get a few cans of it to have on hand.

This stuff would clean and have those rotary switches cleaned and working in just a few seconds!

Used to buy it at most TV Repair and some Electronic parts stores, but even these have been vanishing quite a lot over the years now.

I have no idea.  if it exists amazon prob sells it.

Anyhow, So, we had tried 0 and 9, and it read as 5.

We switched it to 01 and 01 just to see if wed get something different. it still reads it as unit ID 5.  So, not sure whats going on.   I have some electrical contact cleaner I use in my 7 pin trailer wiring harness under my truck bumper.  Seems that could be similar.

Maybe the rotary knob somehow just isn't changing?  

I still really need to find the code list for all the UNIT IDs these can do for others, even if this one is toasted.

I went to the LOR page where it shows older equipment, and I found what I believe was the first gen 16 channel kit controller, and the picture looked the same.  But the only documents I see are the build kit document, and some other (forgot the name).   Neither document shows the binary code list for all the channels between the two dial combinations.

20 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The rotary switch may be dirty.  Rotate the switch all the around several times.  Try it again.

I'll try that, and maybe some electrical contact cleaner?

Any idea where I can find the document that lits all the code combos for unit IDs on these?  I still have another couple controllers I can use from this bunch I bought, but up past code 0  and 9 being obvious, I'm not sure which is the next code for 10 and 11 etc.

The old LOR documents I found on the LOR website, pictures look like this unit, and has dials.  But its just a build document for the kit, and I don't see the code list to program the unit IDs and what they are.

Iguess worst case I sit here after the holiday and set each dial on a good controller I know switches, and go through, and search it in hardware utility and make my own list?  wow.

Codes?  Those are just LOR ID dial switches. Notice that they are 0-F.  2 digits

They are show in the CTB16V1 manual. Newer version just use DIP switches (those allow additional settings)

30 minutes ago, Rhizzlebop said:

but up past code 0  and 9 being obvious, I'm not sure which is the next code for 10 and 11 etc.

The old LOR documents I found on the LOR website, pictures look like this unit, and has dials.  But its just a build document for the kit, and I don't see the code list to program the unit IDs and what they are.

Straight up is zero. It goes 1-F from there.

01, 02 .. 09, 0A, 0B, .. 0F.

2 hours ago, Rhizzlebop said:

We switched it to 01 and 01 just to see if wed get something different. it still reads it as unit ID 5.  So, not sure whats going on.

Sorry if this is too obvious, but did you power cycle it after you changed the rotary switches?

To see if it's a bad contact, set the switches to 1 and F (then power cycle). Since you were getting 5 when you had it set to 9, the '4' bit may be dirty. If it's still not working then when you set the switches to 1F, you will get 1B instead (because F minus 4 is B).

11 hours ago, Rhizzlebop said:

I have no idea.  if it exists amazon prob sells it.

Anyhow, So, we had tried 0 and 9, and it read as 5.

We switched it to 01 and 01 just to see if wed get something different. it still reads it as unit ID 5.  So, not sure whats going on.   I have some electrical contact cleaner I use in my 7 pin trailer wiring harness under my truck bumper.  Seems that could be similar.

Maybe the rotary knob somehow just isn't changing?  

I still really need to find the code list for all the UNIT IDs these can do for others, even if this one is toasted.

I went to the LOR page where it shows older equipment, and I found what I believe was the first gen 16 channel kit controller, and the picture looked the same.  But the only documents I see are the build kit document, and some other (forgot the name).   Neither document shows the binary code list for all the channels between the two dial combinations.

That cleaner you mention should work if it's to make better electrical contact.  But, if it's used to prevent electrical current, then, no, it will just make it worse.

You called this binary code in your last statement, that would be incorrect, LOR Controller ID's are based on the HEXADECIMAL system, not binary.

So, if you wanted the unit ID to be decimal #10, dial 1 would be set at 0, dial 2 would be set at A  as 0A = 10.

I'm not sure, but I think the rotary dial controllers could only go to a maximum ID of 99. 

All of LOR's manuals for anything they ever made is available on their website, so this info SHOULD be in one of the earlier CTB16PC Controller manuals.

I know my old Gen1 doesn't have the dials, but they were shown as a list in the back how each is set to create the number ID for prior units that did.

Unfortunately, I don't know where the manual is presently, but I know I still have it stored away somewhere.

Edited by Orville

12 hours ago, Orville said:

That cleaner you mention should work if it's to make better electrical contact.  But, if it's used to prevent electrical current, then, no, it will just make it worse.

You called this binary code in your last statement, that would be incorrect, LOR Controller ID's are based on the HEXADECIMAL system, not binary.

So, if you wanted the unit ID to be decimal #10, dial 1 would be set at 0, dial 2 would be set at A  as 0A = 10.

I'm not sure, but I think the rotary dial controllers could only go to a maximum ID of 99. 

All of LOR's manuals for anything they ever made is available on their website, so this info SHOULD be in one of the earlier CTB16PC Controller manuals.

I know my old Gen1 doesn't have the dials, but they were shown as a list in the back how each is set to create the number ID for prior units that did.

Unfortunately, I don't know where the manual is presently, but I know I still have it stored away somewhere.

Thank you sir,

Yes, I guess i misspoke on the binary comment.  Some sort of computer programming code base that I don't know.  LOL

Anyhow, I have CRC contact cleaner thats supposed to clean electrical connectors so they work.  Thats what Iw as talking about.  I think its sort of alcohol based but not certain.

I also have Lithium dialetric grease which is used to actually make an electrical connection better.  I have that too, but I was NOT proposing to use that on this delicate circuit board.  I use that my 7 pin camper light harness to make a better connection between the plug in cord, and the 7 pin receiver harness on the truck.  But again, I was not gonna use that here, just the other stuff to clean the electrical connections.

Radio Shack would have had it. 😢 Sometimes a gentle exercising Max (F)-<-> Min (0) a few times will wipe a contact.

Tuner tonic includes a proper lubricant (not as important  these days as there are no moving parts in a digital tunner. I miss the old channel change CLUNK).

• Like 1