Light-O-Rama Forums

Compressed LMS size by version

colonel

I'm running v4. I have several lms files that even compressed are too big to play.  Does V5 or 6  compress or play any bigger sequences than v4? 

Thanks

I've yet to encounter this in 4 4.16 PRO  and I have created several multi-song versions from several MP3 files.

I have several sequences that have a 5 song, 10 song and even 20 songs as one large MP3 file in a few sequences.

I think the largest sequence file I created so far was almost 1.2GB, it compressed and played fine.

Maybe if using a compilation, and not all the MP3 files were in the proper format and the same bit rate, could possibly create such a problem?

Also, if the MP3 has embedfed copyright or some other type of protection it might cause this.  Not sure if it could, just a thought.

Edited by Orville

The ones that hang up are between 1.2 and 1.6 gig. I can sometimes re-arrange the order and make it cache differently but not a good solution. I've done all of the things to save size. I just want to know if the newer versions handle large sequences better?  I also do xL and FP but converting keeps me stuck with Lor for programming.  Thanks. 

50 minutes ago, colonel said:

The ones that hang up are between 1.2 and 1.6 gig. I can sometimes re-arrange the order and make it cache differently but not a good solution. I've done all of the things to save size. I just want to know if the newer versions handle large sequences better?  I also do xL and FP but converting keeps me stuck with Lor for programming.  Thanks. 

Are you sure they are ALL in CBR and the same bit rate.

Only time I ever had an issue was I didn't know 2 of the MP3's I made the compilation from were in VBR, and when I saved them I thought the commercial music editor I used would make them all the same, but I neglected to choose the correct settings, and it caused some issues until I re-ran the entire compilation back through my music editor, then I didn't have issues with it.

I haven't had a chance to play around with S6 on my laptop yet, been too busy trying to update all my sequences in S4 for this year, as well as get my new RGB props done.  Which I'm about 5 or 6 days behind schedule with the prop building due to the last 5 or 6 days it has been practically NON-STOP rain.😖☹️

Which version are you running. Your profile says S5 but you mention S4.

I am going from memory here, 2018 was the last time I looked at S4. None of my sequences approach 2 GB so all this may be moot.

In the S4, show player, i always found the best results with checking, Use Compressed, and leaving Load All before Play UNCHECKED. The S4 cache is extremely dumb and just gets in the way, especially with big files. Also select, Use Compressed in the tray Right click menu. You should also use the Sequence Compressor to prepare the files in advance, S4 is only 32 bit and is memory limited. If you have less than 16, it will run out quickly. IMO no Windows install should have less than 16GB.

Somewhere in the S5 development, 64 bit access came on board, can't remember which version, and that helped considerably with memory handling and can use much more if you have it. I have 32 GB and on occasion I have seen 20 plus gigs in use with a lot of sequences loaded at once.

S6 has a completely revamped control panel and show player. There is just one Playback file created and all the mucking about with compression is gone. Once you create a show, one click on a button prepares all the sequences for playback.

One last thought. Last time I checked, the S5 and S6 show players would recognize and play LMS files, without any conversion. Just playing them will not change them in any way, but you do have backups anyway, right?

16 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Which version are you running. Your profile says S5 but you mention S4.

Somewhere in the S5 development, 64 bit access came on board, can't remember which version, and that helped considerably with memory handling and can use much more if you have it. I have 32 GB and on occasion I have seen 20 plus gigs in use with a lot of sequences loaded at once.

S6 has a completely revamped control panel and show player. There is just one Playback file created and all the mucking about with compression is gone. Once you create a show, one click on a button prepares all the sequences for playback.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. I own V5 but never used it.  Didn't want to "learn anything new" if it didn't help my ever expanding lms sizes.