Light-O-Rama Forums

Need a Magnetic base FM antenna for cze-05b

Orville

Looking to purchsse a magetic base FM antenna for my cze-05b FM transmitter I just bought.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can buy one that will work with this FM Transmitter?

Also, any suggestions on an outside, weatherproof box I could mount this inside of, along with my N4-G4 Director? 

Or just an outside weatherproof box for just the transmitter itself?

I'd prefer to mount both in the same box, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Orville
Subject had cze-05n instead of cze-05b

• The title was changed to Need a Magnetic base FM antenna for cze-05b

As for a box, See if you can fit it into something like a 12 x 12 x 6 PVC electrical box.  Get then at Home Depot or Lowes.  I have three of those in the yard right now.  One has a 350W 12V power supply, 5V regulator (one string of 5V pixels), and a Falcon E1.31 controller.  The second has another Falcon controller and expansion board, and the third has the four power supplies for the pixel tree (although that will get a rebuild next year because that box is REALLY tight.  The first one is mounted horizontally so the lid is on top, and the other two are vertical.  None have leaked.

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

There are a few on Ebay, do a search for "BNC magnetic fm antenna."

The unit I have uses an RCA jack for the antenna connection, been searching for FM Antennas with that type (the old stereo system type female round  smooth plugs) of connector, but, so far haven't found one.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

As for a box, See if you can fit it into something like a 12 x 12 x 6 PVC electrical box.  Get then at Home Depot or Lowes.  I have three of those in the yard right now.  One has a 350W 12V power supply, 5V regulator (one string of 5V pixels), and a Falcon E1.31 controller.  The second has another Falcon controller and expansion board, and the third has the four power supplies for the pixel tree (although that will get a rebuild next year because that box is REALLY tight.  The first one is mounted horizontally so the lid is on top, and the other two are vertical.  None have leaked.

Thanks Jim.  I'll check that out.

I'm guessing here, since these are electrical boxes, I'm thinking you can put a small padlock on them?

Curiousity(sp?) Question:

What wattage do you folks use on your cze-05b transmitter, 0.2W or 0.5W?

I know these equate to 200mW(0.2W) or 500mW(0.5W), just wondered which one most folks use and recommend.

I know the higher the wattage, the further it can get out, but I want to keep this within the proper FCC range allowed for these things.

Thanks.

Okay, I'm frustrated, went through the manual, antenna type states TNC connector, yet I have already purchased 3 new magnetic base antennas and NONE WORK, they won't fit the connector on the FM Transmitter.

I've tried finding adapters to make at least one work, all came with adapters, but none will fit the the female connector.  Thus far, this will render the transmitter useless to me because I CAN NOT use a large antenna, nor can I use the one that came with the unit, can't fit inside the box with it attached. 

I need a SMALL, UMOBTRUSIVE, Magnetic antenna that won't be visible, but be OUTSIDE the box.  We are not allowed to have any antennas on the outside, but with the type I need for this transmitter I could use it and keep it out of sight.

I have yet to buy one that the correct size adapter that will fit the connector on the transmitter.  BNC type = no go, TNC type adapters have also = a no go, even though the manual states TNC.

I have already spent over $60 on anyennas thst I can't use because I tried to go by the pictires that looked like the adapter would fit, but not one blasted one of them would.

Someone MUST know where I can get this type antenna for this transmitter, a cze-05b, would have been nice if the manufacturer would have included one in the box.  Other transmitters I own came with one, was sad this one didn't, because it's what I need where my old transmitter antenna was mounted!

Otherwise, if I do get my display up, despite the very wet weather, there isn't going to be any music, because everything must be outside, and I use a radio inside with wires going to the outdoor speakers for the music.

No antenna I can use = no music, so I really need an antenna yhat will work for my set-up as stated above.

I've wasted too much money on antennas that won't work because their connectors and/or supplied adapters/converters don't work(fit) this dadblasted transmitter.  Very frustrated and annoyed with this whole fiasco at the moment.

Don't know if this url will work, but here's the url to the photo(it's too big to upload to forum).

Back of CZE-05B FM Transmitter

Most FM antennas I see say 75 ohms, but the Transmitter shows 50 ohms.  Will a 75 ohm antenna be okay to use?

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Don't know if this url will work, but here's the url to the photo(it's too big to upload to forum).

Back of CZE-05B FM Transmitter

Most FM antennas I see say 75 ohms, but the Transmitter shows 50 ohms.  Will a 75 ohm antenna be okay to use?

Serious mismatch (high SWR expected). BTW you did not enable sharing on your link to the connector

57 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Serious mismatch (high SWR expected). BTW you did not enable sharing on your link to the connector

Stupid Google won't let me set it to share publicly, it wants details for sharing I can't provide.  And I can't shrink(resize] the photo I took on my cell to post it, no resize option that I could find to make it small enough to upload here on the forum.  I csn crpp it, which I tried, but didn't work to decrease the size. :(

I searched every place I could think of, all I could find were 75-ohm FM Antennas, couldn't find a 50-ohm anywhere.

59 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

A TNC is very similar to a BNC except instead of a bayonet, it uses threads.

Very aware if the differences.

Try the link again, I think I figured it out, so it should work now.

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

Stupid Google won't let me set it to share publicly, it wants details for sharing I can't provide.  And I can't shrink(resize] the photo I took on my cell to post it, no resize option that I could find to make it small enough to upload here on the forum.  I csn crpp it, which I tried, but didn't work to decrease the size. :(

I searched every place I could think of, all I could find were 75-ohm FM Antennas, couldn't find a 50-ohm anywhere.

Set it to Anyone (with the link)

It has been 50Y since I had antenna theory in ETA school 🙄 IIRC Dipoles are 75 ohms

3 minutes ago, Orville said:

Very aware if the differences.

Try the link again, I think I figured it out, so it should work now.

Looks like a TNC to me. Try your 75ohm, your power is low enough that short term won't damage things

16 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Looks like a TNC to me. Try your 75ohm, your power is low enough that short term won't damage things

That's the problem, the adapters that came with the antennas does not screw onto the threads  it's a push on, looked for an adapter that would fit, no luck.

I'm so frustrated trying to find an adapter that will fit the antenna and the transmitter connector or just a small antenna that'll work directly that has a magnetic base.

Spent too much already, and not one antenna or it's adapters fit due to they aren't really TNC Screw on type, but slide over or in and won't work on the transmitter antenna jack.  Won't go in or over it, no way to make a secure or any connection into it.

BTW: the antenna on top of the transmitter in the photo is the original antenna that came with it.  It's the one I need to replace with the magnetic base type.

Edited by Orville

I bought an antenna like that. Pulls out to 34". Has a magnetic base. Just push in & twist. I just can't remember where I got it from. Ray Wu maybe.  I do not use it because the FM transmitter goes for faaarrrr enough with just the regular antenna as is.

I will need to try to find where I bought it. 

Edited by lightzilla

49 minutes ago, lightzilla said:

I bought an antenna like that. Pulls out to 34". Has a magnetic base. Just push in & twist. I just can't remember where I got it from. Ray Wu maybe.  I do not use it because the FM transmitter goes for faaarrrr enough with just the regular antenna as is.

I will need to try to find where I bought it. 

That, in all likelihood is a BNC type, my scanner antenna are of that type  usially called a bayonet.  Won't work with the cze-05b, totally different type connector.