Light-O-Rama Forums

Override Background Sequence needed!

MSB

There are very special circumstances where we would like to turn on some notification signage that runs in the background during a show and not as a main sequence. For example, we normally run the show from 5pm to 9pm every night but on weekends we have the ability to extend the show by and hour or so. That now is easy to do in version 6 but we've found that without notifying the people that are waiting in line, when it gets close to 9pm they just leave. We have many background sequences that run animation loops to simplify the musical sequence programming. One of these background sequences turn on the tune radio signs, event traffic right lane, etc.  We added some additional signage "Staying Open Late" and another background sequence that we were hoping to be able to add to the show on the fly when the decision is made to stay open late. This preview only contains the additional channels to turn on the "Staying Open Late" signs. Those channels are not in the background sequence of the normal signage sequence to prevent any conflicts. 

We need to trigger the open late sequence on the fly without disrupting the traffic already going though the show (it's about a mile long). How can we do that?

Edited by MSB
clarification

I'm thinking out of the box here, but if these "Staying Open Late" signs are simple AC lights, and they are only turned on manually when the need arises, why not just have a manual light switch to turn them on?

The show is manned by volunteers The controllers for these signs are simple 4 channel A/C and about a half mile loop away from the food collection area.  We have 4 of them all on UID 9. Channel 1 controls all the traffic and tune radio signs. Channel 2 controls the staying open late signs. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes without snow to walk between all of these controllers. All I want to do is turn on channel 2 remotely with a phone call. I have full remote access to the show PC either through the app or through Any Desk.  A logistical problem that could be easily solved by adding an on-demand background sequence. We were able to kind-of do this in V5. but in V6 the show program is significantly different. Making a change to a running sequence does not get picked up with the V6 show player even when the "Needs Prep:" button is clicked.

Edited by MSB
Fixed Food Collection

3 hours ago, MSB said:

The show is manned by volunteers The controllers for these signs are simple 4 channel A/C and about a half mile loop away from the food collection area.  We have 4 of them all on UID 9. Channel 1 controls all the traffic and tune radio signs. Channel 2 controls the staying open late signs. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes without snow to walk between all of these controllers. All I want to do is turn on channel 2 remotely with a phone call. I have full remote access to the show PC either through the app or through Any Desk.  A logistical problem that could be easily solved by adding an on-demand background sequence. We were able to kind-of do this in V5. but in V6 the show program is significantly different. Making a change to a running sequence does not get picked up with the V6 show player even when the "Needs Prep:" button is clicked.

Have almost identical 2 shows. 1 with the extra background,  just switch shows with that call

How about using the "Test Lights" tab in the control panel, or the "Start Testing" page in the Light-O-Rama App to turn on that channel?

The "Test Lights" feature can be used even when a show is running.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:36 AM, TheDucks said:

Have almost identical 2 shows. 1 with the extra background,  just switch shows with that call

I have a question. How you do that.? I get the different shows

1. Show A is the normal Show that turns all backgrounds on, Runs the Animation Loops, and Musical Sequences. Starts automatically with the calendar. Daily 4:30 pm to 9 PM.
  2. Show B Is a copy of Show A with the only difference that a Closed Sign turns on. Starts with the calendar 9-9:30 (after the main show stops at 9ish) to allow guests to exit the show and contains a shutdown sequence. This can cause songs to play back to back depending where the Show A stops and Show B Starts at 9pm.
  3. Show C Is a copy of Show A with the added background animation that turns the Staying Open Light Signs On.

The phone rings, I  remote into the show computer with Anydesk. Since Show A is in the schedule and running, I can't add show B because I get a scheduling conflict with Show A. I don't want a blip where everything shuts down while Show A is stopped and Show B is started. At the same time I would need to extend the time of Show B and Delay the start of Show C. Am I wrong or is this a lot of horsing around? I will try the Test Lights suggestion. 

On 11/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, Steven said:

How about using the "Test Lights" tab in the control panel, or the "Start Testing" page in the Light-O-Rama App to turn on that channel?

The "Test Lights" feature can be used even when a show is running.

I Tried this last night. We had a mini preview night for all the volunteers that helped build the show and their families. The show was running and from my phone app I clicked on Start Testing. The Regular Network immediately turned off. SO this is a No-Go! I never got a chance to open the preview that only has 09-02 channel in it that controls the Open Late Signs.

Edited by MSB

TRY > set one show Active - the other inactive (to avoid conflict) - remote in - set inactive show as active and then stop current show at end of song < to see if second show will take over after current show ends..

I know that if you stop the current show the only way to re-start it is to use show on demand - or restart CP to pick up the schedule again..

Edited by Jimehc

Just tried this. I had  a "normal show without the Staying Open Late sign On" (Show A) running with the show player scheduler set active. I deactivated Show A that was running and activated Show B containing the staying open late signs turned on. That alone did nothing and Show A that was deactivated continued to play. So I then clicked stop after current song. That stopped Show A  BUT Show B show that should have taken over did not start up. There is no option in the create shows to tell it to start immediately, Any other Ideas?? If I had WI-FI in the park I could just use Home Assistant and a Sonoff switch but I don't.

2 hours ago, MSB said:

BUT Show B show that should have taken over did not start up.

The show player will only start a particular show once per day. So if show B had previously been run earlier in the day, it won't start again by the schedule until the next day.

3 hours ago, MSB said:

There is no option in the create shows to tell it to start immediately, Any other Ideas?? 

Click the exclamation point on the show player.  That will let you start a "Show on demand".

9 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Click the exclamation point on the show player.  That will let you start a "Show on demand".

That makes it difficult to start up Show C because times have to be changed with the on-Demand selected. I can see errors being made and the show shutting down. It would be a whole lot easier if there was an option for an override background sequence.

10 hours ago, Steven said:

The show player will only start a particular show once per day. So if show B had previously been run earlier in the day, it won't start again by the schedule until the next day.

OK, I guess I can try that but wow, That would only allow us to test this once per day.....that's convenient I only have 2 days left before going live... 

20 hours ago, MSB said:

OK, I guess I can try that but wow, That would only allow us to test this once per day.....that's convenient I only have 2 days left before going live... 

You can quit the control panel and restart it. It forgets it already ran the show when it exits.