Light-O-Rama Forums

Planning a new show for 2024 (Newbie)

jerseyjim

4 hours ago, TheDucks said:

IMHO you are exceeding a N4G4 director by a bunch.  Get a pre-owned windows DESKTOP tower (stay away fro Small form factor). You do not need High end for the show (only) computer.

Ribbons are still counted as 1 Pixel (node) as that is the smallest controllable level.

I appreciate the suggestion on the PC.  Not a computer nerd (or even close), should I look for something with a higher processor speed?  

26 minutes ago, jerseyjim said:

how do I reply directly by showing the post I am replying to the way you guys are doing it.

Of just select the part that you want to quote (left click and drag over the part you want to select) and magicly when you let go, a popup will come up that says "Quote Selection".  Click that.

1 minute ago, jerseyjim said:

Not a computer nerd (or even close), should I look for something with a higher processor speed?  

For a show player, it does not take much.  I'm running a 7 year old i5 based computer with 65K channels and it does just fine.

Look at things like the Dell Outlet to get year or two old comptuers for cheap.

Edited by k6ccc

Just now, jerseyjim said:

I appreciate the suggestion on the PC.  Not a computer nerd (or even close), should I look for something with a higher processor speed?  

Fast computers are not needed for running the show, they are nice for programming your sequence though. My show computer is a 2010 model that I would never program on but is really great for running the show. A simple cheap pawn shop computer would work just fine.

3 hours ago, Steven said:

The blowups can be included in the animated show by disconnecting the lights. Older blowups have AC lights that you can just plug into an AC controller, while leaving the fan motor connected to a timer. Newer blowups have LED bulbs that are wired into to blower circuit. To sequence these, your best plan is to disconnect the bulbs and then run some pixel bulbs inside (or outside) the blowup.

I've got a few of the new inflatables with the L.E.D. bulb(s) wired to the blower motor.  So far, I haven't figured out a way to get the blower motor out and remove the connected L.E.D. bulb(s), not without destroying the inflatable in the process.☹️

Edited by Orville

I only have outdoor speakers for the first night and usually Christmas eve, not counting when I film so I have an audio marker on the video. All other times it is just FM. I don't watch the traffic though it appears 3 songs is the max that anyone will sit and watch. I do have my show in 3 so g sets with a 45 second message in between each set. I highlight a local charity each year. I don't suggest donations, just that they look into the charity. The format works great for me, the walk-ups know to have a radio with them, usually a headset 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Look at things like the Dell Outlet to get year or two old comptuers for cheap.

Just an additional source....I'm partial to Micro Center because I have one locally, but look into their refurbished computers, too.  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 4:44 PM, Mr. P said:

Fast computers are not needed for running the show, they are nice for programming your sequence though. My show computer is a 2010 model that I would never program on but is really great for running the show. A simple cheap pawn shop computer would work just fine.

Cheap computers in a pawn shop!?? 

Not where I live, I bought 2 brand new laptop computers(1 for my wife, and 1 for me) from Amazon cheaper than what Pawn Shops were selling old desktop or tower computers for in my area. 

Many of the used Pawnshop computers (for just 1 computer) were almost twice, or above that cost of the 2 brand new Windows 11  laptops I bought from Amazon!

I would suggest a tower computer for the show rather than a laptop.

• It costs money to squeeze components into a laptop size. If you don't need the compact size, don't pay for it.
  • A tower computer has space for expansion cards, for example to add more USB ports or another e1.31 interface.
  • You can turn the display off to save electricity, and replace the display easily if it goes bad.
  • Likewise, the keyboard and mouse can easy be replaced if they get dirty from "garage junk".
  • If you have your garage door open, a tower is much less likely to get stolen.
  • A tower is typically configured to not go to sleep the way a laptop is.
  • The tower power supply is more robust than the laptop power supply.
  • Like 2