Light-O-Rama Forums

Permanent outdoor lights

jason404

My neighbor and I decided to put permanent lights on our houses to light them up for different holidays and occasion throughout the year. We used rextin ws2811 addressible lights, some color matched j channel to conceal them in the soffit a 12v power supply and an alitove sp108e controller(using led shop app) We followed the roof lines of our houses so we have a peak the a jumper wire going to next peak and so on(approx 300bulbs per house) His is working great no issues. Mine on the other hand the first 2 strings(before the first jumper wire)work some ok. The rest won't follow suit. They won't change color or flash or blink unless I set them to static mode then they will flash. ALL the strands worked fine when I had them in  "chase" setting. 6-8 light sections chasing each other across my roof with 10-12 light gap between each lit set. Also had a setting of 5 colors just running across my roof line then starting back at the beginning. Those worked fine but not the other settings. I switched to a sp638e controller(banlanx app) same problem. Would a lose connection in the data wire cause this kind of sporadic behsvior, or where should I start looking? The attached pic is neighbors house. 

FB_IMG_1700011800935.jpg

• Like 1

So you are running pixels on your house with a alitove sp108e controller which is controlled through a phone app? What does this have to do with LOR?

Yes I thought this was an led lightning forum. If lor is a brand I wasn't aware and different brands of controllers have been mentioned in the conversations. Admin approved my post. You have any assistance with my issue, or just looking to reconfirm the info I included in my original post?

you stated they work fine up until the first jumper wire - I would start there... Verify the connection is good... Also it could be a bad Pixel not passing the DATA along to the next pixel...

When set to a Static Color - they should not Flash, but rather be a solid color... if you have correct color to one Bulb but not the next - then the issue is between those two bulbs..

We usually replace the last Good Bulb and the First dead Bulb as a pair...

Edited by Jimehc

Jimhc, thanks I pretty much had figured it was a weak data line connection since the modes I did get working all the lights worked and no discoloration issues. Being new to this just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. My plan is to learn more about the programming and design possibilities so I can grow our display every year. 

With Light-O-Rama the programming and Design possibilities are endless.... And the Programing goes way Beyond the use of a Phone App

The nice thing is you can use your existing WS2811 Pixels with a Light-O-Rama Pixie Controller.. So easy to swap out the existing Controller

Edited by Jimehc

I suspect you are pushing the limits of a single smart string with your topology.

Look at the Power injection section Manual for the controller (applies even for LOR controllers)

Jumpers  between sections These must be from section end to start (in) end of the next section. And you may need a f-amp/null pixel (signal regeneration) at these points. What is the length of EACH section 'jumper'?   (Again, this is applies to most brands)