Light-O-Rama Forums

Broken RJ45 Cat5/6 Port

MNLights

I have a AC 16 controller that one Ethernet/Cat5 port does not work, how can I daisy chain from this box?  Is there a way to add another port?

Edited by MNLights

NOT ethernet. Pleas do not refer as someone will plug the cable where it should not be.

Get a RJ45 Y adapter and a 1' cable (or shorter) and use that at the controller. That tiny bit should not matter unless you are pushing the speed all the way

Sorry, I was not sure what the port name was in the box but one of the two available is brinen and not sure how to daisy chain from this box. I already moved another box to the end that had a bad port so that is not an option this time. 

Edited by MNLights

• The title was changed to Broken RJ45 Cat5/6 Port

Not a direct answer to your question, but I had this happen last year and LOR repaired it for something like $30 + shipping. 

They are fixable at home with some disassembly.   LOR will send you jack replacements for free.    

Another suggestion.   If you have an extra adapter you can use it.    Create a new AUX and put that broken controller on it.  Each adapter will allow one end of the line controller with one working and one broken jack. 

Had one of my CTB16PC units quit working last year  the jacks aren't usually broken.

What happens is the solder that holds the jack 8n plaxe usually breaks loose over years of use.  Mine was in use for over 8 years bwfore this ha0pened.

Just take controller apart, tes, it's time consuming, remove the large heat sinks from all 16 triacs, take out the Printed Circuit Board(PCB), turn over to soldwr side, use a fine tip soldering iron and reflow the solder on the jacks.

This reseated and put my non-working cat5 jacks back into working order in my controller.

Many times, this is just a simple repair, but takes time when you have to take out the controller from the display, and take it apart to fix it.  Took me just a few seconds to reflow the solder, took me about 2+ hours or maybe a bit longer to remove controller, take it all apart, remove all AC wiring from all contact points, get the PCB out, and remove the heatsinks from the triacs, then reflow solder to the cat5 jack(s)(by adding some more solder), then getting it all back together, then putting it back in service in the display.

So, if you can solder, you could do this yourself.