Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Switch

Bob Musil

I have used ELLs since I started this crazy hobby, but I'm having trouble with them this year.  I'm considering dumping them and just daisy-chaining my AC controllers. the problem is I have 2 controllers on the opposite side of my driveway.  Because of my setup I would have to run a cat 5/6 cable across the drive to the controllers, and another cable back across the drive to get to the main body of the show.

Can I avoid this problem by going from my pc to the 485 adapter, from the adapter in my garage to a network switch, and run separate lines from the network switch to the controllers?

No. AC controllers run on the RS485 protocol, which isn't compatible with the inner workings of a network switch.

Best case, it simply won't work. Worst case you'll damage the controller, switch, adapter or computer's network port.

You would run the main body of the show daisy chained - then run 1 cable across the driveway to pick up that controller....

Or run a splitter after the Adapter in the Garage and run two cables - one to either side of the driveway...

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Network-MVBOONE-Suitable/dp/B09GLMYRM1

Edited by Jimehc

For a more permanent solution, drill under the driveway with water pressure and put in a piece of conduit.

10 hours ago, Bob Musil said:

Because of my setup I would have to run a cat 5/6 cable across the drive to the controllers, and another cable back across the drive to get to the main body of the show.

You can put your computer in the middle of the network, and thus require just one cable across the driveway.

The Light-O-Rama network is RS485, which must be one line (no "Y's") with 2 ends. There is nothing that says one of the ends has to be the RS485 adapter at your computer. The controller on the other side of the driveway can be one end, and the controller and the end of the rest of your display can be the other end.

32 minutes ago, Steven said:

You can put your computer in the middle of the network, and thus require just one cable across the driveway.

The Light-O-Rama network is RS485, which must be one line (no "Y's") with 2 ends. There is nothing that says one of the ends has to be the RS485 adapter at your computer. The controller on the other side of the driveway can be one end, and the controller and the end of the rest of your display can be the other end.

Not really. The normal Adapter has a 120 ohm resistor built in. the other is supposed to be at the end for a total of 60 ohms.

3 terms would be 40 ohms or leaving the run unterminated and subject to noise

10 hours ago, TheDucks said:

The normal Adapter has a 120 ohm resistor built in.

I didn't realize that. I use a USB485B on my network, which doesn't have the terminator (and has 2 RJ45 jacks). I suppose the normal adapter could be modified to remove the 120Ω resistor, but that would of course void the warranty.

33 minutes ago, Steven said:

I didn't realize that. I use a USB485B on my network, which doesn't have the terminator (and has 2 RJ45 jacks). I suppose the normal adapter could be modified to remove the 120Ω resistor, but that would of course void the warranty.

If the B has 2 network ports (like the repeater), it is built for that use. the smaller Black and Red is for single end use.

Termination is best practice and becomes important as speeds increase (2nd Gen Pixies now have a Jumper so no need to make a short cable with a resistor)

(I used to install Alarm systems, the keypads would not behave on an unterminated line. BTW ELK Products has a 4 port RS485 Repeater: 2W data,+12, Gnd  that was for retrofit of other brands, It would need 12V In and the LOR data pair)

On 11/13/2023 at 9:12 AM, Steven said:

I just got a USB485B. Can I use both RJ45 jacks, with one going to the front yard and one to the side?

22 hours ago, Bob Musil said:

I just got a USB485B. Can I use both RJ45 jacks, with one going to the front yard and one to the side?

Yes.