Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Computer Crash

Wayne K

Well, I fired up the the show computer and all seems fine. 1 day later locked up. Rebooted and all seemed fine. 4 days later, yesterday it has crashed. Lost the hard drive. This was a new build last year with a m2 ssd onboard drive.  About a month ago I lost the hard drive on my other halfs computer. Both computers were built last fall within about 3 weeks of each other.  both were WD drives. 1 was a M2 the other was a sata ssd. Should not be a problem to get back up running, other than time. I have backups.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

Do keep the dust bunnies out. The floor is one of the worst places to place a running computer. Fans suck in dust and lint.

(I used to service the back-end servers in supermarkets. 6 months and the air inlets were linted badly. all were on the office floor.)

Heat is hard on parts. Graphic card fans are my bane. Most are proprietary (and not available easily if at all).

I now run fanless cards when possible (not a gamer).

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Do keep the dust bunnies out. The floor is one of the worst places to place a running computer. Fans suck in dust and lint.

(I used to service the back-end servers in supermarkets. 6 months and the air inlets were linted badly. all were on the office floor.)

Heat is hard on parts. Graphic card fans are my bane. Most are proprietary (and not available easily if at all).

I now run fanless cards when possible (not a gamer).

Agree with the graphics card fans. My last 3 builds I have gotten MB's with on board graphics as they don't need nothing fancy.

All back up and running. but I have a question about mp3 gain. Since I reloaded everything from a backup and done a fresh install of win 10, does the mp3 gain settings stay with the audio files or does one need to rerun mp3 to get all of the audio set the same again? it sure sounds like they are not the same level as I remember them from last year.

Thanks for any info

Wayne

Well, it did it again. Crashed a second time about 3 days later with a new M2 WD drive. After looking for another mb and seeing a ton of this particular board listed as refurbished. I decided to abort the onboard M2 drive thinking that maybe the reason for so many referbs listed. Installed the os on the 1 gig sata drive I had put in for storage. So far so good. Show is up and running tonight. If it quits again, my backup plan is to pull the computer out of my shop and run it as the show computer. It already has lor on it as it used for testing and setting up controllers.

Wayne

Good luck with it.  My current show computer is from 2017, but of course it's only powered for about 3 months every year.  So far it's holding out well.  Upgraded it from Win 7 to Win 10 in 2022 so it could load S6, and that required adding RAM.  So far it's doing just fine.  The only disk is a real spinning disk and it's fairly empty.  All the show files are on the file server.

I always buy older used Dell Latitude laptops from ebay and the last couple I picked up have SSD's and will never go back to platter drives.  I have an older one I could give you if you needed. 

I only use laptops where I NEED a laptop.  Firm believer in using a desktop or tower computer for anything fixed.  They are generally less expensive for a similar capability, far easier to repair, and easier to expand.  They generally are better suited to 24x7 operation without overheating.  Easier to clean the dust out of too.

I bought several refurb computers from TigerDirect before they closed their doors, and have a couple from Dell's outlet.  And the server is from a server refurb company on ebay.

When I run a laptop for any amount of time, it sits on a metal wire cake cooling rack. The metal wicks some heat and air has an easy path .

But Plus 1 on a tower. Everything is replaceable independently (an most is standard, not custom) . (I still have a early LCD from 20 years ago, a good simple console when needed)

I am with you guys on the towers. I have 1 laptop for traveling and 5 computers and they all towers. Mine, Hers, TV dvr, Lor show computer, Garage computer.