Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up Easy Light Linkers across generations

Serenata67

I have two new ELLs (v5, I think) and one old ELL (v4, I think).  I have the two newer ones connecting to each other, but the older generation doesn't connect to the newer ones.  The user manual says that the new ones are backwards compatible, so what do I need to do to get the older one to connect to the newer ones?

I have box A connected directly to my computer, with a new ELL connected to it.  Box B receives the signal from box A, and it has a new ELL.  Box C has an old ELL and is not connecting.  The light in the box is flashing and it isn't detected by the HWU.

Edited by Serenata67
tweaked the question

• The title was changed to Setting up Easy Light Linkers across generations

Connect only the box c to your computer via the LOR interface only. Check its firmware. Its probably needing to be updated. The firmware files are on the LOR site.

5 hours ago, dgrant said:

Connect only the box c to your computer via the LOR interface only. Check its firmware. Its probably needing to be updated. The firmware files are on the LOR site.

Is the firmware checked through the Hardware Utility?  How do I know if the firmware needs to be updated?

1 hour ago, Serenata67 said:

Is the firmware checked through the Hardware Utility?  How do I know if the firmware needs to be updated?

Yes, HU to check what is installed.

Yes HU is the usual way to send FW to a SINGLE device on the cable at a time .

The site lists the latest download for each

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Yes, HU to check what is installed.

Yes HU is the usual way to send FW to a SINGLE device on the cable at a time .

The site lists the latest download for each

I'm sorry, this is still not clear to me.  The latest download for each what?  For each controller box?  For each ELL?  For each and every single Light-o-Rama item I own?  My question was how do I know if I need to download an update.  How do I see the version I have?  Also, I'm not finding the list of updates on their site.  When I Google: Light-o-Rama Firmware Updates, it brings me to the user manual of how to do it.  According to that instruction, it says that the firmware updates should be in the "Firmware subdirectory."  I can put them there once I download them, but I'm not sure where to find them. 

And the above linked instruction only talks about the firmware for the controllers, not the firmware for the ELL.  If I need to update the firmware for the old ELL, how is that done?  That's the question I really need answered.  I need to know how to get the old ELL to communicate with the newer ELLs.  If updating the firmware for the controller is the way to do it, then great.  But if I need to update the firmware for the ELL, how do I do that?

36 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Also check the speed setting in each one and the frequency.

*shrugs*  And how do I do that?  The forums here seem to expect a lot of base knowledge already, and I'm a novice reaching out for help.  I could really use some links to resources or even keywords that would be helpful when searching for the resources.  "speed setting" and "frequency" came up with a lot of avenues, and I wasn't sure if they were getting at what you're telling me to do.  Is this how it's done, in the Network Preference Program?  (That link says "Note that these settings are not supported if you are using Light-O-Rama Easy Light Linkers for wireless communications, and that 500K is currently supported only on G3 controllers, Cosmic Color Ribbons, Cosmic Color Bulbs, and Cosmic Color Pixels.  You may also have to upgrade your firmware to use 500K."  Or is there somewhere in the HWU that does this so that it will work with the ELLs?

The user can select one of 32 operating frequencies in the 902 to 928 MHz band.

The user can select one of the following network speeds:
19.2Kbps, 57.6Kbps or 115.2Kbps.

The basics are on page 4 of the manual.  In a Star configuration, they all must be set the same.

(a repeater, extends the existing network. those should use a different Freq, but same speed)

Pixies are not supported on a ELL network (speed limited) For now: Dumb type controllers only (AC or CMB24)

As to firmare access, I believe you go to the regular lightorama website, click on Support button at the top of the page, there should be a link to the Firmware under the Support area.

And yes, there are firmware files there for EVERY SINGLE ELL, CONTROLLER TYPE, AND DIRECTOR units that LOR has ever sold, past and present.

To see the FW in a controller, connect ONE CONTROLLER ONLY via the RS485 adapter and comm port, refresh, when the controller shows up in the HU box, the FW are the numbers after the controller ID, type, then the FW installed in it. 

I don't know about ELL's as I don't have any, but if they can be seen in the same manner as a controller, listing should be the same as other controllers.

Then in the HU, once you have the newest FW, you download it into the controller, ELL or Director via the FW update area in the HU, as I recall there should be a clickable button labeled Firmware at, or near the bottom of the HU main window, where you check controller ID, type, and FW installed in that rectangular dialog box at the top of the HU window(centered).

You're going to need to read the manual for how to upfldate FW, ut's in all the nanuals for every controller and device LOR sells.  It's all in the manuals, just look up the firmware option in the index, it's there.  And it tells you about everything you need to know to do this, and the proper way to do it.

Good luck.

Edited by Orville

11 hours ago, Serenata67 said:

The forums here seem to expect a lot of base knowledge already, and I'm a novice reaching out for help.

What? Nobody in here expects anybody to have a base knowledge but at the very minimum you should have read the manual.

https://store.lightorama.com/pages/hardware-manuals-and-documentation

• Like 1