Light-O-Rama Forums

Warning Message when Saving Renamed SuperStar.avi File in Sequencer

Jimehc

I would like to Report and hopefully Address an Issue I ran into...  I created a SuperStar Effect - The SS_***************.avi was saved... I saved the Sequence... I renamed the SS_*.avi File... Opened the Sequence and got warning about missing file (as expected).. I used "File References" and pointed to the New File Name.. Upon Saving the Sequence I got the (Pictured) Warning.. And OK'ed it... Upon Reopening, Played and then Exiting the Sequence again, there was no warning (all good so I thought).. I reopened the Sequence and hit "Save" this time, the Warning (Pictured) Popped Up Again.. It appear as long as you don't actually have to "Save" the sequence there is no warning - but if you have to save the sequence there is a warning... And Yes, I am already changing up the Display and working on "Christmas 2024"..

Image00010.jpg

Edited by Jimehc

Confirmed in 6.2.16

Never saw a reason to change the filename for the .avi file.  However I do put each sequence in it's own directory so all of the .avi files in a directory relate to that one sequence.  Also note that normally there will be only one active .avi file since I sequence the entire sequence as a single "Insert SuperStar Effects"

When the sequence is reopened with the renamed file, there is no error, and it plays correctly.

However, if you double-click on the SuperStar effect, while it still shows it in the Playback Window, it shows this error:

Screenshot2023-11-09194752.png.7e8fced8af1610a3e8f95d4c4e8ab56a.png

SuperStar does not show up after clicking OK, although it continues playing properly in the Playback Window.

The hope was to have, the Sequence, the Media and the SS*.avi - share a common name...

Or at least some common point for reference..

Although it is possible to insert the *.avi as a Movie effect, rather than a Superstar Effect

Edited by Jimehc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just submitted: support ticket request #7094600 has been created.

Brian says: "My understanding is that the "File References" dialog box is to be used when the file name has changed and you want to point it at a different file. But it was not intended to be used to change the name of an avi file name that superstar uses."

The ticket is now assigned to Matt.

Edited by Steven

Matt just replied and said basically: "You can't do that."

That's a shame, because it would be nice to have the Sequence file name share a portion with the AVI file.

I found a workaround:

1. Edit your SuperStar effect and save the sequence file.
  2. Use "File References" and find the AVI file name for reference.
  3. Close the Sequence.
  4. Rename the AVI file to the name of your choice.
  5. Edit the Sequence file with WordPad. Find the AVI filename from step 2 and change it to the filename from step 4.

The AVI file will now have the name you want.

The issue with this is that you need to repeat these steps every time you modify a SuperStar effect. However, for me it may work well, because usually when I edit a sequence, I change something that isn't SuperStar. I only use SuperStar sometimes, and only for my pixel tree because it won't work with nearly anything else.

Edited by Steven
new information discovered

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I only use SuperStar sometimes, and only for my pixel tree because it won't work with nearly anything else.

Really?  I sequence my entire show with SuperStar.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Really?  I sequence my entire show with SuperStar.

I could be mistaken, but in S6 I believe a motion effect or a SuperStar effect will only work on an enhanced network, and I'm pretty sure that my version 1 (or maybe 2) controllers won't work on an enhanced network. I have 18 AC controllers in my display, all version 1.

What kind of controllers are you using? Did you replace all your version 1 controllers?

8 hours ago, Steven said:

I could be mistaken, but in S6 I believe a motion effect or a SuperStar effect will only work on an enhanced network, and I'm pretty sure that my version 1 (or maybe 2) controllers won't work on an enhanced network. I have 18 AC controllers in my display, all version 1.

Correct for S5 as well.  That goes back earlier too when you could export SuperStar in either Legacy format (no ELOR required), or the new format (can't remember what that was called, but it required ELOR).

8 hours ago, Steven said:

What kind of controllers are you using? Did you replace all your version 1 controllers?

My landscape lighting only used one AC controller (4 channels used).  Most everything in the landscaping and everything for Halloween & Christmas is DC - either dumb RGB or smart pixels.  The DC controllers have been able to handle ELOR ever since ELOR was introduced (firmware update required on some).  That one AC controller was a Gen 1 controller and was replaced many years ago.  I later added two AC controllers for my singing faces (non-pixel), and those are Gen 3.

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

I'll just say Delete SuperStar Effect and use AVI as Movie Effect...

Except then it is FAR more difficult to go back and edit the effect.

• Like 1