Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting S5 Sequences to S6 Sequences with a large twist.

Obejohnknobe

Greetings everyone!!!!

Hope everyone had a great Halloween Light Show as I did not due to a wind storm that toppled most of my standing props and damaged cards and pixels.  Do not worry, had back ups to everything......

The new S6 is awesome and love the upgrades to motion effects.  When the new software came on line, I overhauled my display to include changing IDs to a different layout from 2 nets to 4 nets.  When I tried to transfer all of my S5 sequences, I got a lot of errors and was just over whelming to me.  Does anyone have a step by step cheat sheet on how to change from S5 to S6 to include changing IDs and nets?  Any recommendations and hints will help as I have about 10 sequences needing to transfer.

Thank you for any help in advance!!

John

There should be no noticeable upgrade/conversion process from S5 to S6. The .loredit files will just open and you can continue working normally.

It sounds like the problem is that you changed all of your IDs and Networks since last opening your files from S5, meaning when they open, you should see a bunch of warnings that you've made Preview (layout) changes and now the sequence is trying to figure out where to associate all of your effects/old props, which may or may not still be there. If anyone is ever going to overhaul a preview (writing to anyone who might see this for future advice), the best practice is to create a NEW preview rather than editing your current one, because it's easier to tell the software to Assign a New Preview or copy things vs trying to mesh two completely different things together during the next time you open an old file, without being able to reference the original.

Here's what you need to do:

Open one of those S5 .loredit files. It's either going to give you a warning that the preview cannot be found and import it as a new preview, or tell you there have been preview changes since last opening. It will ask if you want to try and convert to the new preview with changes, or import as a new preview. You want to import as a new preview, which will end up being your preview from last year. Don't touch this preview. Let all of your sequences from last year open and associate to it, THEN use "Assign Different Preview" to bring it over to your completely new preview. You can automatically match by name or channel, but if neither of these factors are the same, you have one of two choices:

1. In the convert preview screen, you can double click on each prop and tell it where to match. Once you're completely done, you can export the map so you can import it with the next one and not have to double click everything again.

2. Match nothing, and just let the previews transfer with match errors. Copy and paste from your archived @ props into your new props in the layout.