Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller 1 is 3 & 3 is 1. Best Way To Correct The Problem?

Yodlei
Go to solution Solved by k6ccc,

5.6.8 Pro & all LEDS. Think I'm going on 3 years now with no show yet & finally got excited after all the delays...weather, placement & multiple other stupid issues. Ran a small test run on 1 controller a week ago before multiple days of rain & lights behaved. Just got everything done & ran the show & found I the above controllers switched. (Thank God no neighborhood parties tonight!). Am I better off switching the controllers out tomorrow or change the Preview/Unit #'s? The latter sounds easier for now but don't want to screw something up.

AND if the answer is to change the Unit #'s, I assume I can make a copy (to use this year since I'm running out of time) & save the original as I wanted my HC Singing Monsters to be together (Controllers 3 & 4).

I need to write a book on all the stupid little Senior issues I've had. I'm exhausted so I apologize if I don't respond right away. Going to fix a couple of sequencing issues & see if anyone answers soon. If not, I will respond tomorrow. Thanks much in advance! It did look good & Sis across the street was impressed.

Just change the controller Unit IDs (the controllers, NOT your sequencing - which I assume is the way you want it).  If the controllers have DIP switches to set the Unit IDs, it will take seconds each.  If you either have to use the Hardware Utility or prefer to do so, make sure not to end up with multiple controllers with the same ID in mid-process.  In other words, if all the controllers are powered up, if you change controller 01 to 03, and then change 03 to 01, you will end up with both controllers with ID 01.  Either power off the controller you are NOT changing, or change the first one to an unused temp number.  Example, 01 changes to 11, then 03 changes to 01, then 11 changes to 03.

35 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Just change the controller Unit IDs (the controllers, NOT your sequencing - which I assume is the way you want it).  If the controllers have DIP switches to set the Unit IDs, it will take seconds each.  If you either have to use the Hardware Utility or prefer to do so, make sure not to end up with multiple controllers with the same ID in mid-process.  In other words, if all the controllers are powered up, if you change controller 01 to 03, and then change 03 to 01, you will end up with both controllers with ID 01.  Either power off the controller you are NOT changing, or change the first one to an unused temp number.  Example, 01 changes to 11, then 03 changes to 01, then 11 changes to 03.

Guess I should've mentioned that I am not running show with a laptop....running w/SD card using the simple Director that came with the original TSO package. I've seen comments on DIP switches but don't know anything about them....too new. I do understand the end of your reply in order not to duplicate. Used the same preview for all songs so I thought I could just change Unit 01-01 to 03-01, 01-02 to 03-02, etc. & vice versa. Then after Halloween, change it back & mark my controllers with the Unit # so it doesn't happen again. Won't that work or am I missing something?

• Solution

Each physical controller has a Unit ID.  That Unit ID is set either with a set of DIP switches on the PC board of the controller, or a pair of rotary switches on the PC board, or via the Hardware Utility.  Changing the Unit ID of the controller is FAR faster and easier than changing the Preview.  Or just unplug the two involved controllers and physically swap them.

And yes, mark the controllers so it does not happen again.

5 hours ago, Yodlei said:

Guess I should've mentioned that I am not running show with a laptop....running w/SD card using the simple Director that came with the original TSO package. I've seen comments on DIP switches but don't know anything about them....too new. I do understand the end of your reply in order not to duplicate. Used the same preview for all songs so I thought I could just change Unit 01-01 to 03-01, 01-02 to 03-02, etc. & vice versa. Then after Halloween, change it back & mark my controllers with the Unit # so it doesn't happen again. Won't that work or am I missing something?

I, myself am confused with your 4 digit numbers in your response.  Controllers US hexadecimal  and ONLY 2 DIGIT Numbers. 

So I'm confused by your Unit 01-01 to 03-01 and 01-02 to 03-02  as THAT NUMBERING System WILL NOT WORK. 

01, 02, 03, 04......0A, 0B, 0C (they DO NOT have to be in numerical order when placed), are how controllers are numbered.  You can't enter more than a MAXIMUM of 2 Digits for an Unit ID number.

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Each physical controller has a Unit ID.  That Unit ID is set either with a set of DIP switches on the PC board of the controller, or a pair of rotary switches on the PC board, or via the Hardware Utility.  Changing the Unit ID of the controller is FAR faster and easier than changing the Preview.  Or just unplug the two involved controllers and physically swap them.

And yes, mark the controllers so it does not happen again.

Know each controller has a Unit ID & the 1st 2 came set as 1 & 2. I set up 3, 4 & 5 when bought & added via my desktop/Hardware Utility. After thinking about this last night & realizing I would need to incorporate the updated preview for each song if I went that route, although it's a pain, I will just swap the controllers out. Thanks much!!

2 hours ago, Orville said:

I, myself am confused with your 4 digit numbers in your response.  Controllers US hexadecimal  and ONLY 2 DIGIT Numbers. 

So I'm confused by your Unit 01-01 to 03-01 and 01-02 to 03-02  as THAT NUMBERING System WILL NOT WORK. 

01, 02, 03, 04......0A, 0B, 0C (they DO NOT have to be in numerical order when placed), are how controllers are numbered.  You can't enter more than a MAXIMUM of 2 Digits for an Unit ID number.

Sorry for the confusion, Orville, but my numbering was referring to if I changed my preview to swap controller 1's props with 3 & vise versa, instead of physically moving the controllers. I'm just going to swap controllers. At least no rain today. :)

2 hours ago, Yodlei said:

Know each controller has a Unit ID & the 1st 2 came set as 1 & 2. I set up 3, 4 & 5 when bought & added via my desktop/Hardware Utility. After thinking about this last night & realizing I would need to incorporate the updated preview for each song if I went that route, although it's a pain, I will just swap the controllers out. Thanks much!!

Sorry for the confusion, Orville, but my numbering was referring to if I changed my preview to swap controller 1's props with 3 & vise versa, instead of physically moving the controllers. I'm just going to swap controllers. At least no rain today. :)

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought you were trying to use 4 digit ID numbers in the controllers.  Just wanted to be sure I was understanding what you were doing.🙂

IMHO swapping physical controllers is a lot less dangerous (unless they are high up) than tampering with sequence code.

Just my 2 cents. 

FWIW 1st Gen Pixies (4,8,16) did not have switches, you must use HU

I built up my own assemblies: other than ID's, they are interchangeable (each has 1 Pixie4 and 1 CMB24 that has 3 LOR 10W flood dangles on ports 1-3 and the rest HC/x-lights dangles)

Why 1-3 for floods? (I changed from ports 6-8 this year)... The LOGIC Powered bank. I have 2 PSU for the box. during off season I just run the floods and a simple sequence from the Pixie. The second PSU is OFF (saves 15+expensive, PG&E Wh  🥵 . That mount$ up fast with other controller boxes present )

50 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

FWIW 1st Gen Pixies (4,8,16) did not have switches, you must use HU

I think he is talking about AC controllers, not pixie controllers.

Oh!

CTB16 PC must use HU .  Any Laptop with a unlicensed version of S6 (HU) can be used for that task if you have  any adapter (the older black works for settings, even for Pixies )