Light-O-Rama Forums

smart bulbs software sequencing. is it possible?

antwanuk2023

iv got a bunch of dmx lighting I rent out and use regularly but my whole front garden is covered in wifi enabled gu10 lights. im looking to do a small show for the local kids for Halloween and Christmas and was wondering if anyone knows a way to include these to the show. they dont need to do anything amazing just swap colors and maybe chase simple stuff 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think WiFi smart bulbs are fast enough to do a chase, but you could change the colors maybe once or twice a second. Your first step is to find a Windows command-line app to control them. Google the brand name (since I believe they all use a different protocol), and "Windows command line" and you'll get a lot more hits from people who know how to control them who aren't also into Christmas lights.

Once the Windows command-line app is controlling your bulbs, you need to make a bunch of 1-second empty LOR sequences and name them based on how you want the lights, for example "Lights - Off", "Lights - Orange", "Lights - Strobe" (If they can do that), etc. To create the sequence, select File -> New -> Animation Sequence. In the dialog, if you don't already have an empty Preview, use "Quick Preview" to create one named "Empty" with 1 channel and "Don't know...." Set the length to 1 second (but it doesn't really matter), and don't bother with any timings.

Once the sequence is ready, select "Sequence" -> "Windows Command", select "New Command", and paste in the Windows command-line you discovered earlier to control the lights. Test it by pressing the "Play All" button. If it works, save it as the name for what it does.

For the following "Lights" sequences, skip the "Quick Preview" step and just select the "Empty" preview you already created.

Once all your "Lights" mini sequences are finished and tested, go to your main (Musical) sequence(s). Create a new view to keep these all together if you want. For each of the sequences you created above, select the view menu and select "Add New" -> "Subsequence". Select the name of the file you created earlier, and give it the same channel name to keep things organized. By default as soon as you create the subsequence it will turn it on for the entire main sequence, so select the row with 'r' and turn it off with 'Del'. Once you have done this for all of the subsequences, select "Sequence" -> "Grid Configuration" -> "Export" to save all the work you just did. (It's also saved in the sequence file.)

Now that all the "Lights" channels have a row, simply turn them on briefly (for 0.5 seconds) when you want the lights to change. Of course you will have to do it earlier in your sequence because it won't happen immediately.