Light-O-Rama Forums

Lightning Strobe

Maine Lights

Looking to see what everyone uses for lightning strobes for their Halloween show. I know wow lights sells some but wondering if there are other options. Have tons of C9 strobes but not sure if those would be enough. Thanks in advance  

I use the flood strobes you mentioned for Halloween. They go well with the red and green floods I use.

Never tried C7s, but the M5 strobes I use for Christmas just don't cut it.

I use the 10 watt RGB floods in my show. I use 5, and face them all towards the house. For lightning, I flash them all white. Looks pretty cool. 

Hope this helps!

https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-pixels-bulbs-ribbons-and-floods/products/flood10watt

I flash everything that can do white (100%): 2/10, 1/10, 1/10 (gaps 1/10).

That is 16 10W floods,  500 bullets along the eves (down to 347 this year, no more tall ladders for me), and misc other things that do white.

The 3 houses across the street, light UP. 

Every one of my  PSU's can support >200W per controller power bus at the same time.  😁

TheDucks, great time to be your neighbor LOL Can you post a video of that for me sometime this season? Or just message me with a link? Thanks

26 minutes ago, dgander said:

TheDucks, great time to be your neighbor LOL Can you post a video of that for me sometime this season? Or just message me with a link? Thanks

I am not doing that sequence this year . The whole thing is 6/10 of a second .

I didn't do it often as it is a bit hard on the PSU's ,

I use the W/P 400W units, mounted on the back of my CG1500,  that HC sold a few years back and no longer list , so I do baby them a bit.

I have never used the lights and thunder as a single unit in any sequence that has, or uses, the sound of thunder in a song, or if I added it in myself for dramatic effect.

Why?

In nature the Thunder rolls after the lightning flash, and I usually use white and light blue(cyan) for the flash(starts out 100% white, ends in a low intensity blue), then during the thundersounds I may light up one or more props using a dim shimmer effect with varying intensities like the lightning hit it, and it's fizzling out.

It's a but of a challenge to program it, but the effect is pretty cool.

Now that I'm reviving a Halloween Display, I've got to redo this from scratch, as I wiped out all of my old Halloween sequences to make room for Christmas stuff, since I figured I wouldn't be doing a Halloween display anymore.

Yes, even wiped everything, everywhere, including all backups I had.  Yes, dumb, but, at the time, I never thought I'd be doing a Halloween show again. 

So I figured I didn't need any Halloween sequences, and also gave all my Halloween decor away too.

But after quite a few years of no Halloween show, my neighbors convinced me to revive it.  But, it's not going to look anything near what it used to until I can find and make some more RGB props for Halloween.

So, sorry folks, currently no sequence available as to how I created this effect, but those that saw my display commented it looked really cool or awesome.  I am working on the effect, but it's not even close to where I want it to be yet.