Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding length to color changing deck string lights

TEL

I am attempting to decorate the railing on my deck with color changing string deck lights.  There is an opening to the yard with steps after about 10 feet and I wanted to cut the string at the opening, run a wire down the railing and behind the steps and up the opposing railing to continue the strand at the opposite side.  Can I do this?  Will I expect to find 3 wires between lights or are there more?  If only 3 wires, what type of wire would be recommended?  I do have a rudimentary knowledge of wiring and can follow polarity.

Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate the help!

You don't mention the type of lights and the controller that you are using. Are you using pixels, dumb RGB, or some sort of color changing lights from the store? What is controlling these lights?

You mention three wire so I assume pixels. If pixels yes you can cut them and extend them with an extension wire. I always recommend a good quality copper 18 gauge wire.

Edited by Mr. P

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I always recommend a good quality copper 18 gauge wire.

Add STRANDED wire...

I agree with Mr. P

Go to Harbor freight or Walmart and buy a 3 conductor, light duty , outdoor extension cord and CUT OFF Both ends. (I find that is cheaper than by the foot). 💡If it is long enough, center it on the run, then cut so you end up wit Pig tails for later use 👍

Be careful to maintain which wire goes where

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.  As to Mr. P's questions, I am hoping to use lights that are similar to the ones in the attached picture.  I believe the controller is in the line itself, but am not sure as I have zero experience with these.  It looks though, that there are 3 wires in the line between the fixtures.  I just didn't want to buy these, then find out it's not possible to cut and splice them.  

I very much appreciate all your answers!

T

Deck lights.jpg

I suspect these are smart bulbs, not a smart string.

When I looked at the xmcosy+ site, these were not shown under outdoor lights. did see them on ebay :/

36 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I suspect these are smart bulbs, not a smart string.

When I looked at the xmcosy+ site, these were not shown under outdoor lights. did see them on ebay :/

Just looked at them on Amazon, 12V  outdoor, IP65 rated.  Looks like they use Xconnect connectors.  Control from their app or remote controller.

I wouldn't use these on anything like a LOR smart controller, from the videos and photo's it looks like you CAN NOT control each bulb independantly.  Seems only 3 or 4 bulbs will be one color, then the next set could be a different color, but doesn't appear to be individually controlled like a smart pixel string.  So, I'm not sure how, or if they'd work with a LOR smart pixel controller or not.

Wish I could have gotten an URL to where they're located on Amazon, so yoi could get more info, but couldn't find one using the Amazon App.