Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing tree setup

AllAmericanJock

Does anyone know of a video or picture/text on how to setup the singing tree's to the controllers, showtime director system. I'm confused about which ethernet port goes from the showtime director to the controller to the singing tree's.

I currently have 3 residential controllers, the G4-mp3 director. The singing tree's were bought this summer. Possibly getting another residential controller before Thanksgiving. 

My confusion is which ethernet port gets connected to the next ethernet port. I know there are 3 ethernet ports on the controllers and 2 on the singing tree's and 5 on the showtime director. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

How many LOR networks are you planning on running?

59 minutes ago, AllAmericanJock said:

My confusion is which ethernet port gets connected to the next ethernet port. I know there are 3 ethernet ports on the controllers and 2 on the singing tree's and 5 on the showtime director. 

Get "Ethernet "ports out of your mind.  Yes, they are the same physical connector that is commonly used for Ethernet, but LOR networks are NOT Ethernet.  They are RS-485 serial circuits.  Referring to them as "Ethernet" is just begging to mix them up with real Ethernet at some point in the future - particularly if at some point you start using E1.31 - which really is Ethernet.  They are properly 8P8C connectors although almost universally referred to as RJ-45 connectors.  Under the right circumstances, mixing Ethernet and RS-485 can result in the magic smoke* getting released.

If you are running a single LOR network, you will run Cat-5 (or more commonly Cat-5e) cable from one RJ-45 port on the Director, to either RJ-45 port on any controller, and then another Cat-5 cable from the other RJ-45 connector on that first controller to one of the RJ-45 connectors on any other controller.  Repeat for each controller so you have a single chain or circuit from Director to last controller.  Note that on your standard AC controllers, the middle connector is a smaller connector.  It does not mater what order the controllers are wired.  The last controller on the chain should have the switches set for terminations enabled (if that controller has the capability), or properly terminating resistors if the last controller does not have that capability.  None of the other controllers should have terminating resistors enabled.  As for which port on the Director, you will have to consult the docs for it as I have never even seen any Director.  However on port will be the Regular network, and the next three will be Aux-A, Aux-b, and Aux-C.

* Magic smoke is the stuff that makes all electronics work.  When the magic smoke leaks out, the electronics stops working.  Also referred to as Magic Blue Smoke.  OK, it's a joke, but electronic parts generally quit working when they smoke.

https://store.lightorama.com/pages/connecting-a-light-o-rama-system

for pictures of various configs.

The small jack is just for folk who use a common phone cable found at many stores way back when CAT cables were not everyday (for folk not in tech cities). 

Silver Satin cable  (phone cord) was terrible. There were no standards. early versions were wires made of cotton threads wrapped in foil (the conductor). It was very flexible and good (not great) for POTS service.

The only daisy chain rules: 1) don't mix non-ELOR and EOLR devices on the same CHAIN. 2)Pay attention to speed limitations on the same chain. The slowest sets the limit. 3)Complexity of Pixel sequences. 2400 nodes  is a number tossed about to stay below on a Network.

Yes... But...

(full size. The good stuff) )CAT 6 is stiffer and the twisting tension can crack traces over time.

Avoid the mini CAT cables. The wire pair We use is not as good as the 2 pairs Ethernet signals use. (yhey saved pennies per cable)

If you want to use CAT6, Use the CAT DANGLES LOR sells and uses on their floods.

https://store.lightorama.com/collections/spt-wire-and-plugs/products/rjwada?_pos=1&_sid=803a2d81e&_ss=r

I use these on ALL my controllers. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XssqectruJzV7RgB6YgUAjyPWDy9K_IY/view?usp=drive_link

Notice how some of the Jacks face out, Others face up (or down). The bend on stiff cable tends to pry.

FWIW I drilled the proper size holes and mounted that way. You can also just use as a short extension (SECURE INSIDE against trips and yanks. these are way cheaper to replace than getting a board repaired)

Edited by TheDucks

I use an N4-G4 Director to run my shows and I have 2 singing trees from LOR (version 1)  when I added them and was using the Pixie2D controllers that came with them  I put them on Net 2, which is Aux A, used 1,000k speed and enhanced network to my 1st singing tree, then went from 1st tree's controller(daisy-chained) to the 2nd Tree Controller. 

Yes, it's that simple.

Ran my trees like that for 2 years until I got a Pixie16D controller, and both trees are now set up in that, and I kept their original Pixie2D Controllers for spares(backup) in case I'd need them.

Everyone thank you. I figured it out, thank you everyone for your advice and input in this question. 

4 hours ago, AllAmericanJock said:

Everyone thank you. I figured it out, thank you everyone for your advice and input in this question. 

Please let everyone know what your resolution to solve your problem was. 

It helps others to know what your issue(s) was(were), and what advice given may have helped you to get the problem(s) corrected.