Light-O-Rama Forums

Reminders for SD Card creation

dgander

It's that time of year again and even I forgot this time until Hub crashed twice.

Reminder 1: temporarily turn off virus scanners when creating the SD card for your directors. Depending on your virus scanner, it may cause havoc once you click "create". You'll spend all your time getting the show all correct then poof, you lose all that work because it crashes on the first sequence it wants to copy.

Reminder 2: if you have a lot of sequences to put in order, create the SD card first with just a few and then add 4 or 5 at a time via "edit card". That way if you have a problem sequence, you'll find out without losing everything, you'll just lose that small section you added via "edit card". This also allows you to narrow down a problem sequence.

This year I have 54 sequences and I had much better results using the edit method than trying to create one show all at once. 

I forgot to mention, this is for S5. Not sure if S6 makes hub SD card creation any easier, someone with S6 may weigh in on any improvement 

18 hours ago, dgander said:

Reminder 2: if you have a lot of sequences to put in order, create the SD card first with just a few and then add 4 or 5 at a time via "edit card". That way if you have a problem sequence, you'll find out without losing everything, you'll just lose that small section you added via "edit card". This also allows you to narrow down a problem sequence.

I gave up using the "edit card" function years ago under S4 since it always seemed to corrupt my card.  Instead I always reformatted the card fresh before writing the entire show new.  This habit followed me through S5 and into S6.  Just this week I tried it to simply change my show times and it seems to work, but at this point in the season I only have the one pre-season sequence which is just a static light show, so not much that can go wrong.

23 hours ago, dgander said:

I forgot to mention, this is for S5. Not sure if S6 makes hub SD card creation any easier, someone with S6 may weigh in on any improvement 

S6 is 100% different than S5 when it comes to show configurations, etc.

5 hours ago, hasslerk said:

I gave up using the "edit card" function years ago under S4 since it always seemed to corrupt my card.  Instead I always reformatted the card fresh before writing the entire show new.  This habit followed me through S5 and into S6.  Just this week I tried it to simply change my show times and it seems to work, but at this point in the season I only have the one pre-season sequence which is just a static light show, so not much that can go wrong.

Yeah I had mixed results with edit. This time though it was just crashing Everytime when I loaded all 54 sequences at once. Maybe it was all the virus scanner that was causing it to crash but It seemed to work as edit this time.

• Like 1