Light-O-Rama Forums

Window Mounting

Broseidon22

Going into my 2nd year and added smart RGB pixels. I have square pixel strands for the windows but looking for the best way to actually mount them. Any help would be much appreciated!

There are many different options for mounting pixels and every one has a different way you doing it (what ever works best for them)

But it would be a big help to others trying to offer suggestions - to actually see a picture of the window / frame or opening you are trying to do...

Edited by Jimehc
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

There are many different options for mounting pixels and every one has a different way you doing it (what ever works best for them)

But it would be a big help to others trying to offer suggestions - to actually see a picture of the window / frame or opening you are trying to do...

Absolutely. 

And be sure to mention the material the window frame is set in, AND if this is a rental (that usually rules out holes and things that leave marks)

Appreciate the responses! Here is a picture. There is a wooden frame around the windows that I'd be mounting to and I own the home. My wife may have something to say about anything too destructive though 😂

Screenshot 2023-09-29 090600-compressed.png

What happened to the shutters over the porch?  😛

OK, you have a flat surface (lintel) over each window, so 'L'  bracket (to the mounting board) with the stainless pin straight up (be sure to weather seal) to Hang the vertical strips from. A screw upward for the bottom - horizontal side. (a picture frame shape mounting would be best): hook, secure bottom, cable. done

Very little visible off season.

Squares. What do you do with the wires as they are now on the surface (bullets are behind) and add thickness.

49 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

What happened to the shutters over the porch?  😛

OK, you have a flat surface (lintel) over each window, so 'L'  bracket (to the mounting board) with the stainless pin straight up (be sure to weather seal) to Hang the vertical strips from. A screw upward for the bottom - horizontal side. (a picture frame shape mounting would be best): hook, secure bottom, cable. done

Very little visible off season.

Squares. What do you do with the wires as they are now on the surface (bullets are behind) and add thickness.

I literally never noticed the shutters! lol

Okay, that makes sense. I'm planning on starting the hanging process this weekend for a small Halloween show so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks again!

I haven't tried this yet, but a mtmethod I was thinking about using for lay-flat square nodes is this:

Getting some coroplast cut into strips to fit the window frame and drill holes for the nodes, then I'd get some PVC piping cut vertical to make two halves that the coroplast with the nodes would fit into, drilling small holes into the pvc and through the coro vetween 2 to 4 nodes, mount screws from the back(screws that would mount flat to the back of the pvc, through the coro and use a small washer and nut to hold nodes in place). 

PVC has to be wide enough(open) to accomodate the nodes wires and will help to hide the wiring. 

The PVC that would be at the top and bottom (horizontal) of the windows would have small weep holes drilled into their bottom to allow moisture/water/rain to drain out.  The side sections (vertical) wouldn't need weep holes, since the moisture/water/rain would flow straight down and out.

You would also drill holes through the coro and pvc to mount it directly to the current window framing.

Again, I haven't tried this yet, but I think it would be easier and more resilent to moisture/water/rain than a wood frame.

On theory, this sounds feasible, again, not having tried it, can't say if it would be easier or more difficult to do 8t this way.

Just tossing this one out there, as it is what I am currently considering for my square nodes to outline my windows.

Any thoughts on this method I'm considering for my windows folks?