Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for a jumpstart!

Hunter Winter Wonderland

I've been reading a lot on this page and many others but for some reason I'm still not ready to jump in the pool.  I recently purchased a used controller (CTB16PC), plugged it in and it works (as least the light does!).  I had hoped to start this in March but due to medical issues, that didn't pan out as planned.  Here is what I'm looking to accomplish given it is mid-Sept.:

1) I only have LED and incandescent lights - many of them both in light strings and yard decorations

2) I want to purchase some sequences vs. creating my own (once again... it's Sept)

3) I want to run this off of a laptop and I want to add a FM transmitter

I think once I get going it won't be too hard to get there but I don't see much information on a few key topics:

a.  Do I use LOR software or xlights (sorry if that is a bad thing to ask on LOR page)

b.  Do I need to purchase a license first before anything else can happen?

c.  When I look on the LOR getting started page - it just talks about hardware options and high-level things - it doesn't really get me up and going

d.  Is the best option to purchase a tech support package?  I opened up a ticket but I'm not that impressed with the generic replies I've gotten so far.

Sorry but I don't know how else to move forward on this.  I love decorating and I'm sure this will be a lot easier once I get it going...

Dale

Edited by Hunter Winter Wonderland
I wasn't finished typing yet

1) they will work just fine with your AC Controller

2) LOR sell many sequences (Easiest) or there are several places you can find shared sequence (harder)

3) can run show off of Windows Laptop - FM transmitter will connect to headphone jack

A) since LOR forum > LOR Software

B) You will need to purchase License to use LOR Software

C) would have to agree - there is no Quick Start Guide - got to do a lot of personal research

D) look into joining some of the LOR - Light-O-Rama Facebook Groups

• Like 1

In addition to the many videos on the LOR web site, go to YouTube and search for LOR -- you'll find a slew of videos which can be quite helpful.

• Like 1

It's virtually impossible to write a single "Quick Start" guide that's going to cover everything. The number of scenarios that come into play would be a nightmare to write for in a single guide. 

Though if you have ideas to improve LOR's documentation / support site, by all means let them know about it.

May I suggest that you join the Official Light O Rama Facebook Community or at least start attending the Tuesday Zoom classes. At this point it is super late, not impossible since you only have one controller (if it works).

DO NOT connect that controller to your computer without an LOR RS485 adapter.

HD replies may be "generic" however the reply should match the question. as asked. 

JR

• Like 1

most of the support information available is from experienced users (which assumes the new user understands how they even got there)

"Generic" assumes the user understands the "Basic"

When supporting Microsoft Windows OS questions - we start at basic replies then work towards a more generic answer (which can be time consuming depending upon the users skill level)

7 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

most of the support information available is from experienced users (which assumes the new user understands how they even got there)

"Generic" assumes the user understands the "Basic"

When supporting Microsoft Windows OS questions - we start at basic replies then work towards a more generic answer (which can be time consuming depending upon the users skill level)

By all means feel free to send ideas to LOR help make it easier. I've done a lot with them over the years to help simplify it, and others have helped to simplify it even more. 

One thing that hadn't been mentioned about lights, if any of your lighted decorations or strings of lights have a built-in controller that allows the lights to be set for chasing, twinkling, steady on, flashing, etc. ARE NOT recommwnded for use with the LOR Controller, as these lights CAN NOT be dimmed, faded up or down, shimmered, or flashed(off/on).

If the built-in light string controller allows you to set, and keep the lights own controller settings, then they could be useable, but only with FULL ON and FULL OFF lighting commands only!

Also, if the lights use any kind of power adapter(wall wart), many adapters DO NOT work well, if at all, so these type lights should also be avoided.

Also, one final note: BEWARE of Martha Stewart LED light strings, these have been noted to literally catch fire when used with a controllers various lighting commands, especially dimming them.  So, you want to avoid Martha Stewart brand LED strings. 

If you have any, trash them and replace, they ARE NOT worth the risk of burning your home down!

And, pretty much all the advice others have given you here is excellent.

This hobby takes a lot of patience, and a lot of research, as there is no way to just jumpstart into this hobby with no knowledge of controller type, what it requires to function, how to set it up, and so much more 

Many users have tried to just jump into this hobby without doing any research or study, and many just got fed up, sold off their equipment and quit.   We've seen this happen quite a bit, and most often due to they came into this hobby around this time of year, when LOR, and users on the forums are very busy working on getting their displays ready for the Holidays, and therefore, answers don't come as soon as they like, and, again, lose patience and call it quits.

This hobby DOES require not only patience, but time, always learning(it never ends), and some understanding of electricity and electronics.

Good Luck and welcome to the hobby.

Edited by Orville
Correct bloopers (typo's, spelling). Gad, I loathe cell phone keyboards!

Actually - did not see one encouraging word or any support for the New User in that whole Post - which leads to the frustration usually found in this forum...

So it is a Generic response for this forum and the User has not even reached the level of Basic... 

Edited by Jimehc

28 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Actually - did not see one encouraging word or any support for the New User in that whole Post - which leads to the frustration usually found in this forum...

So it is a Generic response for this forum and the User has not even reached the level of Basic... 

Well I'm sorry YOU don't see it that way, because I have to disagree with you.

When I first joined this forum, new users asking questions got much worse treatment.  If you weren't around before LOR made some excellent changes to improve the forum, and stop a lot of this, this OP would have been royally raked over the coals.  This forum is a lot more civil now, and a lot friendlier too.

I stated nothing, but information that would be beneficial to a new "inexperienced user" coming into the hobby, nothing more, nothing less, as did others, so I guess from YOUR OWN REPLIES, that means even YOUR PREVIOUS posts weren't encouraging either?🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Orville
  • Haha 1

One other option is to get a mini director too. LOR sells the package of mini director and FM Transmitter so if you buy their RTG seq package you do literally plug in and go. Now, it is best to understand how the LOR seq are set up so you know how to plug in your lights to make the show look good. You will need the software to make your own shows if you want to alter them but LOR does have a few RTG cards you just plug in.

Welcome to the insanity that is "Over the top decorating" known as animated lighting! LOL 

I started the way you did back in 2009 with 1 single 16 channel controller. You do need the LOR software so you'll need to purchase a license. For right now you can just do the basic or basic plus since you only have 1 controller. Once you get a few more controllers you'll need to upgrade your license. I would highly recommend buying LOR sequences. Two things to remember if you use LOR sequences. They are programmed/sequenced in what is known as a 4X4 layout. Since the controller has 16 channels, they have 4 groups of 4 channels. The example they use is 4 roof lines, 4 upper house windows, 4 porch columns and 4 bushes. But also remember two things. 1- the controller doesn't care what the channel is going to so it doesn't have to be a roof line or a bush. Just layout your lights in groups of 4 so the sequence will look good.  2- The software will not see/ignore any channels and commands for controllers you don't have. So the LOR sequences will be for like 128 channels and yo only have 16. Try not to be overwhelmed when seeing so many channels, you only need to worry about the first 16. As stated above, you will also need the RS485 that LOR sells.  You can run the show from your laptop as do I. You'll need to run a cat5/6 cable from your laptop outside to your controller. I just go out our attic window and use clear insulating tape from Frost King to tape up the small gap. 

You may need to get a driver CD from LOR to set up the used controller. You can also check the unit id of the controller and make sure it is unit 1, regular network. That way that controller will tell the software that it is unit 1 and all commands that go to unit 1 will be sent to the correct controller. 

As for an FM transmitter, I would suggest trying to put it as high as you can get it to mimic a radio tower. You may need to "play" with the volume a bit. My laptop volume is at 30 as to not overpower the car radios or cause distortion in their speakers. 

I hope this helps helps. Good luck and have fun! 🙂

Al

• Like 1

Have you done ANY previous Christmas lighting? I grew into this after years of static lighting and moving to a very basic preprogramed  "Mr. Christmas" type display,  so I already had ideas about what I wanted to do with a bigger, programmable lighting system. On most sites selling sequences, you can watch the preview to see how a particular company lays out the lights. WowLights sequences (an LOR reseller) are slightly different than LOR sequences. This should give you a pretty good idea about where you want to put the lights on/around your house. For instance, mini trees in a preview could be bushes instead.

As mentioned above, since you have a controller, you would need at least a basic software license, an adapter, and a Cat 5 cable long enough to reach from your computer to the controller. Shipping the adapter is usually really fast from LOR.  And something I haven't seen mentioned yet, extension cords. LOTS of extension cords. They need to be long enough to reach from the controller to EACH of your 16 strands of lights and an extension cord from the controller to the nearest outlet. If (or WHEN as the case maybe!) you add a second controller, it is probably better and cheaper to make your own custom lengths.

I think with only one controller to start, you CAN do this! Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

You can download and run the demo version of the software and check it out before you buy a license. It is fully functional but will not control actual lights until you buy a license.

https://store.lightorama.com/pages/download-software

You beat me to this.

Also while downloading, grab the manuals for what you think you need Documentation – Light-O-Rama https://store.lightorama.com/pages/hardware-manuals-and-documentation

https://store.lightorama.com/pages/im-new-what-do-i-do shows a simple system like what you you stated  (The # items on the green chain can be more or less)

My personal opinion is the mini-director is too limited, starting with no clock.  If you go the director route (because you might want that laptop for other uses during show season 😛 ), go for the N4-G4 (an option on the showtime central starter package ) https://store.lightorama.com/collections/starter-kit-ac/products/stcstarter Which also has the FM transmitter

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jimehc said:

BS, sorry just calling it how I see it. No, not sorry, really.

You seem to be the only one frustrated

On 9/20/2023 at 6:04 PM, Hunter Winter Wonderland said:

I've been reading a lot on this page and many others but for some reason I'm still not ready to jump in the pool.  I recently purchased a used controller (CTB16PC), plugged it in and it works (as least the light does!).  I had hoped to start this in March but due to medical issues, that didn't pan out as planned.  Here is what I'm looking to accomplish given it is mid-Sept.:

1) I only have LED and incandescent lights - many of them both in light strings and yard decorations

2) I want to purchase some sequences vs. creating my own (once again... it's Sept)

3) I want to run this off of a laptop and I want to add a FM transmitter

I think once I get going it won't be too hard to get there but I don't see much information on a few key topics:

a.  Do I use LOR software or xlights (sorry if that is a bad thing to ask on LOR page)

b.  Do I need to purchase a license first before anything else can happen?

c.  When I look on the LOR getting started page - it just talks about hardware options and high-level things - it doesn't really get me up and going

d.  Is the best option to purchase a tech support package?  I opened up a ticket but I'm not that impressed with the generic replies I've gotten so far.

Sorry but I don't know how else to move forward on this.  I love decorating and I'm sure this will be a lot easier once I get it going...

Dale

Let Just get back to the Original Topic and questions asked by this New Users first post in the official Light-0-Rama Support forum

Just a suggestion..

23 hours ago, TheDucks said:

You beat me to this.

Also while downloading, grab the manuals for what you think you need Documentation – Light-O-Rama https://store.lightorama.com/pages/hardware-manuals-and-documentation

https://store.lightorama.com/pages/im-new-what-do-i-do shows a simple system like what you you stated  (The # items on the green chain can be more or less)

My personal opinion is the mini-director is too limited, starting with no clock.  If you go the director route (because you might want that laptop for other uses during show season 😛 ), go for the N4-G4 (an option on the showtime central starter package ) https://store.lightorama.com/collections/starter-kit-ac/products/stcstarter Which also has the FM transmitter

Completely agree with theducks.  I have an N4-G4 Director that runs my shows (external), not a component built in with a controller like in the package theducks linked too.

But you'd be much happier in the long run with the N4-G4, then you don't have to worry about external timers to run the show.  N4-G4 Director will run everything from the SD Card. 

Also puts everything outside, no running cat5 from the computer through windows or under doors.  No dongle needed when using the N4-G4 either.

However, you still need a dongle when using the Hardware Utility to test lights, set ID and test controllers, as well as update firmware, setting the time directly to the N4-G4 (you can do it from the SD Card, but my experience with this is the time may not line up exactly, as it will use whatever clock time used when the card was written.  Depending on how long it takes to write the SD Card, the time between the real time on your computer, and the time on the SD Card can vary by as much as 15+ minutes BEHIND your computer, cell phone or watches current time.)

I set my N4-G4 most often with the HU(on S4), not sure if this is still the case with the HU in the newest releases though, if not, I also set my N4-G4 using the buttons directly on the N4-G4.  Both work, although sometimes setting it directly results in a few seconds difference from the actual time of my computer or smart watch.

Edited by Orville
Correct typos
  • Like 2

• The topic was locked