Light-O-Rama Forums

Launch at start up happens regardless of checked setting 6.2.12

bdwillie

Having trouble with the launch at start up.  I do NOT want to use this feature on my sequencing computer as it is used for many things besides LOR.

Windows 10.

If I uncheck the Launch at start up, and shut down the software, it auto rechecks it the next time I start control panel.  Also if I uncheck Launch at startup, shut down the software and reboot the computer, Control panel auto launches on the reboot anyway, and the Launch at startup is rechecked.

I have fooled with this for some time trying different things to keep it from auto launching the control panel on reboot.  Still does.  I have looked for a save settings in the settings thinking that I haven't "saved" unchecking the box.  This is very repeatable, as in every time on this computer, an HP Pavilion.  Control panel starts at EVERY reboot, even when that option is unchecked.   It works as it should on my show computer, stays unchecked, and doesn't start on reboot until I recheck it.  The show computer is a refurbished Dell business machine if that matters.

It's not the end of the world, but rather an annoyance

Edited by bdwillie
added version of windows

I just checked and my Launch At Startup stays in its last selected state. It remained unchecked after a CP restart and after a reboot. Windows 11 pro.

I doubt it's the issue but is there any chance the Windows startup folder has a shortcut to CP in there.

You could try an uninstall/reinstall.......

10 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I just checked and my Launch At Startup stays in its last selected state. It remained unchecked after a CP restart and after a reboot. Windows 11 pro.

I doubt it's the issue but is there any chance the Windows startup folder has a shortcut to CP in there.

You could try an uninstall/reinstall.......

Phil, Just checked the startup folder, only thing there is the battery backup software.  Sequences and previews are backed up 15 ways to Sunday so an uninstall/reinstall may be in my future if someone doesn't have a fix.

Funny thing is that it works as advertised on the show computer out in the workshop, where I wouldn't have cared if it auto rechecked and restarted itself 🤷‍♂️

Both machines are Windows 10, with all updates done.

44 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

Also if I uncheck Launch at startup, shut down the software and reboot the computer, Control panel auto launches on the reboot anyway, and the Launch at startup is rechecked.

It could be having trouble writing to the registry. You should be able to clear it manually here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Might be worth checking logs to see if it shows an error. Tt would be Documents\Light-O-Rama\Logs\LORTray-trace.txt if using the default directory.

27 minutes ago, Jeremiah Ackermann said:

It could be having trouble writing to the registry. You should be able to clear it manually here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Might be worth checking logs to see if it shows an error. Tt would be Documents\Light-O-Rama\Logs\LORTray-trace.txt if using the default directory.

no LOR entry in the currentversion/run.  found the trace.text and no errors that I could see, just info entries.  Thanks though!  gave me some places to look! 

WAIT WAIT!  I missed this line:

-09-15T14:31:36.1650643-04:00    WARN    [rQe7extKNiCBJsYCwbw.EfMCBFtA5HXRZ0ny7GN]    [0]    Unable to delete registry entry SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: Requested registry access is not allowed.

So how do I fix this?  Clueless about registry entries.  I can add and edit, but don't know what they mean for the most part

Edited by bdwillie

1 hour ago, bdwillie said:

no LOR entry in the currentversion/run.  found the trace.text and no errors that I could see, just info entries.  Thanks though!  gave me some places to look! 

WAIT WAIT!  I missed this line:

-09-15T14:31:36.1650643-04:00    WARN    [rQe7extKNiCBJsYCwbw.EfMCBFtA5HXRZ0ny7GN]    [0]    Unable to delete registry entry SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: Requested registry access is not allowed.

So how do I fix this?  Clueless about registry entries.  I can add and edit, but don't know what they mean for the most part

Run as Admin. Different  than a User with Admin rights.

But the Q is why needed?

Are you using a 3rd party security package?

At one time, auto-starting of the Control Panel used to be set under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry. But Microsoft locked down that section of the registry at some point, and now it is stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (which is Microsoft approved). However, you may still have the auto-start entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which the LOR software can't touch - and you will have to remove manually. You can do that by editing the registry with admin privileges, but might also be able to get at it by running Task Manager and looking at the Startup tab.

16 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Run as Admin. Different  than a User with Admin rights.

But the Q is why needed?

Are you using a 3rd party security package?

As far as I know I am running as admin, there are no user accounts on here but the admin.

I am using McAfee and have been for years.

15 hours ago, MattBrown said:

At one time, auto-starting of the Control Panel used to be set under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry. But Microsoft locked down that section of the registry at some point, and now it is stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (which is Microsoft approved). However, you may still have the auto-start entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which the LOR software can't touch - and you will have to remove manually. You can do that by editing the registry with admin privileges, but might also be able to get at it by running Task Manager and looking at the Startup tab.

This morning I uninstalled, ran the LOR registry wiper, and reinstalled.  Still the same.  I didn't find any entries for LOR under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but I did find it in the startup tab of task manager, but still not in the startup folder in windows.  I disabled it in the task manager tab, and so far no LOR on reboot.  The software still auto reticks the launch at startup box on it's own on every reopening of control panel.  

2 hours ago, bdwillie said:

As far as I know I am running as admin, there are no user accounts on here but the admin.

Strange as it may sound, there are some things that still require "Run as Administrator" even when logged in as Administrator.  Mostly it's stuff that makes it more difficult to hose you over badly.