Light-O-Rama Forums

combining data cables.

bdwillie

Long story short, I have to move my workshop (portable building) and it will be a bit of a run for the data cables to go from workshop to first controllers.  Well within specs though.  I have ONE LOR enhanced network, and one DMX universe.  I have a Heavy Duty type cat6 cable that can make the run.  I would like to build adapters for both ends of the cable to plug into so I can run both the DMX and the LOR initially to the first LOR and DMX controllers.  I know that LOR uses wires 4-5-6, so I have planned to have an RJ-45 socket at the shed, and at the first controllers, with a run of three wires from the socket (4-5-6) to an RJ-45 plug (4-5-6) for the LOR, and a run of 3 wires (1-2-3) with 3 pin XLR for the DMX.  7 and 8 would have no connection    I have all the sockets and plugs already in my parts bin.  This would save me from having to make (and purchase the wire for) a new long DMX run.  Is there any reason the two could not share a common cable, as long as the individual wires did not cross and are isolated?  Also the only wires in the plugs for the LOR ends would be 4-5-6 so no weird signals would be on the plug going to the first box, and the USB adapter.  Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

32 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

Long story short, I have to move my workshop (portable building) and it will be a bit of a run for the data cables to go from workshop to first controllers.  Well within specs though.  I have ONE LOR enhanced network, and one DMX universe.  I have a Heavy Duty type cat6 cable that can make the run.  I would like to build adapters for both ends of the cable to plug into so I can run both the DMX and the LOR initially to the first LOR and DMX controllers.  I know that LOR uses wires 4-5-6, so I have planned to have an RJ-45 socket at the shed, and at the first controllers, with a run of three wires from the socket (4-5-6) to an RJ-45 plug (4-5-6) for the LOR, and a run of 3 wires (1-2-3) with 3 pin XLR for the DMX.  7 and 8 would have no connection    I have all the sockets and plugs already in my parts bin.  This would save me from having to make (and purchase the wire for) a new long DMX run.  Is there any reason the two could not share a common cable, as long as the individual wires did not cross and are isolated?  Also the only wires in the plugs for the LOR ends would be 4-5-6 so no weird signals would be on the plug going to the first box, and the USB adapter.  Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

I have made (and use CAT5) splitters.  I have 4 types. 1) Lor + 10/100 Ethernet (3-6,1-2 ), 2) 2 LOR (include Aux power 3-6) and 4 LOR (4-5 data only),

4) Was just #2  doing a flip of networks  (type #2 was at the controller, then partway down the daisy chain, #4 would be the active (used by controllers) from then on. :( not all my controllers passed thru all 8 wires)  I did use this to workaround a patch block where 4-5 went bad and I just used LOR net 2 .

All are used in PAIRS at both ends of the 'trunk cable'

The CAT6 main line (trunk) is even better as it has better cross talk immunity.  👍

Label ports Well Triple check that Ethernet is  NEVER in the wrong jax (magic smoke may happen)

Edited by TheDucks
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I have made (and use CAT5) splitters.  I have 4 types. 1) Lor + 10/100 Ethernet (3-6,1-2 ), 2) 2 LOR (include Aux power 3-6) and 4 LOR (4-5 data only),

4) Was just #2  doing a flip of networks  (type #2 was at the controller, then partway down the daisy chain, #4 would be the active (used by controllers) from then on. :( not all my controllers passed thru all 8 wires)  I did use this to workaround a patch block where 4-5 went bad and I just used LOR net 2 .

All are used in PAIRS at both ends of the 'trunk cable'

The CAT6 main line (trunk) is even better as it has better cross talk immunity.  👍

Label ports Well Triple check that Ethernet is  NEVER in the wrong jax (magic smoke may happen)

Thank you sir!

It should work fine. The standard ANSI E1.11-2008, section 7.3, table 4 specifies the way DMX is to be connected if using 8-position modular connectors (what we call RJ-45 connectors). In that table, it clearly shows 2 different networks on one cable, the first using pins 1&2 with ground on pin 7.

I recommend using pins 3,4,5,6 in their original LOR configuration (data on 4&5, ground on 6, aux power on 3), and use the ANSI standard for the DMX network (data on 1&2, and ground on pin 7). Doing it that way means that you could run your master (combined) cable directly through a LOR controller, and pick up the DMX pins on the other side.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 12:15 AM, Steven said:

It should work fine. The standard ANSI E1.11-2008, section 7.3, table 4 specifies the way DMX is to be connected if using 8-position modular connectors (what we call RJ-45 connectors). In that table, it clearly shows 2 different networks on one cable, the first using pins 1&2 with ground on pin 7.

I recommend using pins 3,4,5,6 in their original LOR configuration (data on 4&5, ground on 6, aux power on 3), and use the ANSI standard for the DMX network (data on 1&2, and ground on pin 7). Doing it that way means that you could run your master (combined) cable directly through a LOR controller, and pick up the DMX pins on the other side.

Cool!  Thanks for the info!

On 9/17/2023 at 12:15 AM, Steven said:

Thanks for the ANSI link, just got through going over it.  Will print for future reference. 

Just guessing that on the LOR data lines 4 is positive data, and 5 is negative data?  Did a search and didn't see it.  Sorry to be picking your brain so much!

I was looking to make a breakout for the two signals, never thought that pins 1-2-and 7 would just pass through the LOR controller!  With that being the case I may just convert my DMX boxes to an RJ-45 with 3-4-5-6 just passing through, and then I would only need one data cable!  With my setup, the dual cables ran next to each other as the controllers all share common placement.  Thanks again!

Edited by bdwillie

I just checked my Pixie4 and CMB24. (I used a VDV scout)

The Pixie DOES NOT pass thru 1-2,7-8

The CMB Flips 3-6, does not pass 7-8 but does 1-2 (LOR jumper setting)

I just tried the DMX jumper setting on the CMB24 (odd results) BUT when I put them back in LOR, both 1-2, 7-8 pass thru ( 3-6 is still flipped)

I have multiple dual controller boxes: CMB24 and a Pixie. 10W Floods and smart nodes

Edited by TheDucks

On 9/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, TheDucks said:

I just tried the DMX jumper setting on the CMB24 (odd results) BUT when I put them back in LOR, both 1-2, 7-8 pass thru ( 3-6 is still flipped)

Thanks!  Added to my notes.  Don't have a CMB24 but you never know when one will make it into the loop!