Light-O-Rama Forums

New LOR Mounting Advice

Webb

Hi - excited to be part of this community! Finally upgrading my Christmas light show with ligh-o-rama products. I have the full layout with arches, stakes, singing faces, trees, etc. I'm in need of knowledge to mount all the props in the yard and a few on the house. Any links, advice, items to purchase, etc. would be very helpful.

3 minutes ago, Webb said:

Brick and shingle roof

Roof: Wood, shake (thicker) 3-tab or presidential (thick tab) composition?

What are you thinking for the roof? Strings or something bulkier?

I used Adams Deluxe Shingle/Gutter Light Clips 50 pk,  Mfr #9060-99-5635 for AC strings and bullets. It has a blade that slips (do when warmer for ease) the tab of comp or hooks over gutters

Very helpful. Composite, presidential.

curious on frames/mounting for items like the candy canes, arches, singing faces, etc. in the yard. Will be setup in grass/soil. Haven’t received items yet so unsure of what to prepare for with the mounting.

1 hour ago, Webb said:

Very helpful. Composite, presidential.

curious on frames/mounting for items like the candy canes, arches, singing faces, etc. in the yard. Will be setup in grass/soil. Haven’t received items yet so unsure of what to prepare for with the mounting.

With Presidential, I inserted the blade of those clips in the gap between Tabs. (Still a bit thick, but can be done with care and no damage). Worked well on the ridge.

Are the expected props  Coro or something else?  I still favor Rebar when you need to beat it into the ground. JUST SAFETY CAP THE ENDS. for my tombstones, I stiffened those with 2 pieces of 2x2 and drilled a 1/2 hole in the bottom end of those  that the rebar fit into. (loose, because wood swells when wet) . you may need 2+ point to keep the prof facing steady in wind. 

• 2 weeks later...

For yard props I use rebar and shishkabob stakes. The rebar fits inside PVC well. The stakes are great for using instead of tent stakes. They hold well in sandy soil like what we have here in Florida. I used to line the roof with minis. I used the dripedge to secure the mini bulbs. Snowflakes are secured with eyebolts I have drilled into the walls. They do not come out, I leave them in all year and use zipties to attach to the small eyebolts

I don't do faces. Someone though had a step by step on youtube a few years back. Just search for Singing faces on Youtube. There's a program you'll want that does the animation for you upfront and then you transfer it to the LOR sequencer.

As for Singing Faces/Trees I use square aluminum tubing, connectors, and stands from ESTO Connectors.  It's expensive, but works well for my purposes and the possibilities are as endless and your imagination.

Here is a picture of the backside of my dual singing tree set up w/ V1 Elden and V1 Zuzu.  I use 1-1/2 tube as frame for each of the singing faces to secure to, then use 1" tube for double surrounding frame and stands for use on the driveway in front of single car garage door.  Had to add sand bags for weight as wind was blowing around.  I also use the same concept for my AC Controllers and put 10" tent stakes down through the stands to secure them to the ground near the side of the house.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ab3ff7761fee758f51084d16f3717a6a.jpeg

• 1 month later...

What sized diameter PVC pipe does everyone use for it to fit over 3/8 rebar? And any creative ways of attaching the PVC to coro board?

@Halladaylights - Hi - I'm in contact with Esto Connectors. Could you share the parts list you purchased from Esto for the singing faces? I'm going to have each of my 4 faces stand alone and not connect them together like you did however. I'm in contact with them and would save quite a bit of time if willing. Thanks.

22 hours ago, Webb said:

What sized diameter PVC pipe does everyone use for it to fit over 3/8 rebar? And any creative ways of attaching the PVC to coro board?

1/2" PVC will slip over the rebar.  I also use some EMT conduit that i found at a yard sale for stakes.  there are a few people on YouTube that are showing how to mount them below is just one. 
I have a large wood HOPE sign on my roof That i cut the angle of my roof on a 2x4 the length of my sign and screwed plywood feet on that cut so it holds the 2x4 straight up and down and i screw my letters to that and anchor it with a cinder block. it has not blown off my garage yet and we had some pretty good winds.  Lots of people building Leaping arches so those are pretty easy to find also on YouTube.  I don't think there is any RIGHT way to do it.  I just look for yard sales and what people are giving away.  This hobby is expensive enough so i don't need to buy something full price when i can get it at a yard sale or estate sale.  

On 11/8/2023 at 10:50 AM, Webb said:

@Halladaylights - Hi - I'm in contact with Esto Connectors. Could you share the parts list you purchased from Esto for the singing faces? I'm going to have each of my 4 faces stand alone and not connect them together like you did however. I'm in contact with them and would save quite a bit of time if willing. Thanks.

I actually just built a stand alone one for my display this year.

It's really not that complicated, but I'm going by memory at the moment.  So, you may want to verify your design and list prior to placing order with ESTO.

For a single stand alone tree I used the following to attach the LOR Singing Tree to:

Esto Connector Material List: (2) 1-1/2"x36" Square Tubing, (2) 1-1/2"x39" Square Tubing, (4) 1-1/2" 90 degree corners, (2) 1" Steel Base Stand, (2) 1"x42" Square Tubing, (2) 1"x39" Square Tubing, (4) 1" 90 degree corners, (8) 2-Hole Fasteners, (62) 3/4" self-tapping stainless sheet metal screws.

Hardware/Box Store Material List: (4) 1/4"x2" Machine Screws, (8) 1/4" Fender Washers, & (4) 1/4" Wing Nuts

Tree Frame: (2) 1-1/2"x36" Square Tubing, (2) 1-1/2"x39" Square Tubing, & (4) 1-1/2" 90 degree corners, (44) 3/4" self-tapping stainless sheet metal screws.

Assemble Tubing into 39"x42" rectangle with corners.  Face screw tree to 1-1/2" Square Tubing. (This part is essentially just the frame for attaching the face to.  Take time to center on frame and fasten on screw at a time to keep tree from getting waves in it.   I find it easiest to fasten to frame with tree standing upright and start along the top of the tree)

Next, build the stand to support the framed tree.

Tree Stand: (2) 1" Steel Base Stand, (2) 1"x42" Square Tubing, (2) 1"x39" Square Tubing, & (4) 1" 90 degree corners.

Assemble Tubing into 41"x44" rectangle with corners.  Attached Steel Base stand to 44" "leg" on each side.  (I used (4) 1/4"x2" Machine Screws, (8) Fender Washers, & (4) Wing Nuts to attach the Steel Base Stands to the assembled frame.  Must drill through 1" square tubing for screws to pass through and tension with wing nut.)

The framed tree should now be able to sit inside the stand that you just built.  I connect the two together from the backside using (8) 2-Hole fasteners and (16) 3/4" self-tapping stainless sheet metal screws.  This will leave about 1/2" reveal on the front side between the 2 different thicknesses in square tubing.

I attach the Pixie 2 controller for each tree to the back of the 1-1/2" square tubing with (2) 3/4" self-tapping stainless sheet metal screws.

Assembled unit w/ tree should stand freely by itself, but I do recommend securing to ground in some manner to prevent wind from blowing over.