Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB Twinkle Question - Limit Colors?

dblack

I have 8 RGB floods and want to use the twinkle effect, but only want the lights to use green, red and white. Is there a way to define or limit which colors the flood lights are using during the effect?

When I posted on FB someone suggested motion effects but because these are dumb RGB the motion effect is not available.

44 minutes ago, dblack said:

I have 8 RGB floods and want to use the twinkle effect, but only want the lights to use green, red and white. Is there a way to define or limit which colors the flood lights are using during the effect?

Not automatically with those color selections.You can select only two of the primary colors and set to twinkle.  So you could for example select Red and Green and set to twinkle and you will get Red, Green, & Yellow.

However, with that said, it's not all that hard to just manually select colors for semi-random lengths of time.  So for example, set 00:01.0 - 00:01:10 to Red, and 00:01:10 - 00:01.30 to White, and 00:01.30 - 00:01.45 to Green, etc.  I had a specific reason to do that for a couple songs.

This intrigues me because i have 4 dumb RGB floods and dont think i have seen a issue with twinkle colors but may not have observed it. so, K6, are you saying you can only pick colors that have 2 colors in it? OR is it that twinkle is pulsing 2 colors across the LEDs?  i guess i have not paid enough attention to the function. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Aplet said:

so, K6, are you saying you can only pick colors that have 2 colors in it? OR is it that twinkle is pulsing 2 colors across the LEDs?  i guess i have not paid enough attention to the function. 

If you expand the RGB row so you see the three primary colors, and select only two of those colors (Red & Green for example) and set that to twinkle, the twinkle will semi-randomly turn on the Red and Green only - which will result in Red, Green, and Yellow.

I don't have any dumb RGB, only Smart RGB strings and floods, and I know with Smart RGB this color shift happens randomly when using twinkle across each independent bulb.

Now, with my understanding of dumb RGB strings and floods, only a single color is possible along the entire string, all bulbs/lights being the same SINGLE color, so too me, I would think the color shift that occurs with a Smart string WOULD NOT occur with a DUMB RGB string of lights or interconnected DUMB floods. 

If I'm correct (and I'm not sure if I am here), this would be a good reason to have some DUMB Controllers and DUMB RGB strings or floods in a display to prevent unwanted colors from occurring.

Since Dr_Aplet says he never noticed this with his dumb floods, this is what brings me to my conclusion(speculation) about dumb RGB and the Twinkle option.

Again, I have no dumb RGB lights or dumb controllers to test this out, so this is mostly speculation on my part at present, and from my understanding of dumb RGB products and how they operate.

Edited by Orville
Corrections/typos

Obviously if you have a string of dumb RGB lights or floods, they will all behave the same - but that was not the question.  Also since the original post said eight floods, I'm going to speculate that he has the eight floods each connected to a separate port of a CMB24D controller - so they will operate independently if sequenced to do so.

Regardless if smart or dumb RGB, the procedure I described above for twinkle on only two out of the three primary colors will result in that twinkle involving those two primary colors plus the the one secondary color that is a product of those two colors.

With that said, the original question was twinkle specifically limited to Red, Green, & White.  That has to be done manually.  White would require all three primary colors so a twinkle would have all three primary colors (Red, Green, & Blue), plus the three secondary colors (Yellow, Teal, & Purple), plus the result of all three primary colors (White).

Edited by k6ccc

AND as Jim has said: Red, Green and Yellow  (twinkling just the R  and just the G) applies to a Dumb Port or a smart Node.

I Know, cuz I tried 😐

I wanted a random flicker (On/Off or intensity change) of the (pre)set color  . I really did not want to have to code each node bit by bit (time).

Uses: Torch Flame, Yule Log, Stars, Snow falling, Lightning (the last 3 are usually all White, the former, Yellows thru Red) But never an out of range 😛 color (OK Logs do have random flicks of Blue or Green in the whole, but we do not do rasterizing with floods)