Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting over

Mark Porter

Last display was Christmas 2019.  Been dark since due to medical issues (fixed now), retirement from the business world and moving across the continent to a smaller house (and yard display area).  The props did NOT make the move! What did make the trip was my laptop with the LOR sequences, five controllers, a storage box of power cords and the sound system.  No mega trees, arches or light strings.  The new front yard is approx 30' wide x 35' deep and graveled (Arizona desert landscape). There is an HOA but I have NO problem knee dropping Dougie, Kyle and Carrie if needed!

I know it's going to take a few seasons to get a decent display but if you were in my situation, what would you start over with for '23?  Maybe a small mega tree?  Some arches?  Its beginning to cool down (mid 90's) so I can get out in the garage and not get cooked like in a convection oven. I read that its 8 hours of prep for 1 minute of show time.  I can attest to that!

What are your thoughts?  I'd rather not get roasted, okay?

Thank you!

Mark Porter (Him/He/Dude/That Guy)

I have been toying around with the idea of some the the Coro props.  Arches for example look fairly straight forward many can be purchased for mini lights if you wanted that and some can be compacted and it may be a little more affordable to purchase.  I have quite a few plywood cutouts from the Winfield collection that i use some cheap homedepot miniture landscape spotlights in my sequences they dim pretty well too.  Next year i am planning to make something with actual motion like a ski lift or carousel.  2 cents worth. 

Knowing what controllers and software version you have would be a big help. With a 16 channel AC controller I'd think a Mega tree would be pretty easy and cheap.  Especially if you have a Walmart close by for cheap LED strings. A length of PVC, and some line and stakes to stabilize it is all it should take. For me, that's where Harbour Freight comes in (except for the PVC).  Then I'd throw some strings around or on whatever you've got outside...trees, bushes, around doors and windows, garage....whatever. I wouldn't be TOO concerned about what is flashing when, but I would take a look at the sequences to make some decisions to make SOME sense of it. You may need to make some changes to your unit/channel layout, but as long as you have the programming in the sequences, it shouldn't be that hard. With S5/S6, you should be able to create a new Preview pretty quick.

Good luck!

Why code in the Garage?  Get a Security Cam to watch the "shop" prop and a separate monitor (TV) to see the results of your code.

• 4 months later...

Hey Mark, I am in Arizona myself and would be happy to talk over things I have done in the past with LOR. I also am moving away from all my older LOR stuff and going completely Smart RGB. If you were interested I have a bunch of stuff you might be able to use to build the show back up more quickly. Lots of LED single color strands and a few CCRs.