Light-O-Rama Forums

When do you start your Halloween Display?

GraysonLights09

I start my Halloween light show on Oct. 5th this year (along with radioguy1007), and was curious what time everyone else starts their halloween shows. Also what time do you take your Halloween show down to start decorating for Christmas? For us, it Nov. 1st!

Edited by GraysonLights09

If I do one, it starts October 1 every year. 

Haven't done one in a few years, was attempting to get one done this year(2023), but don't think I'm going to pull it off. 

Still have a lot of props that need to be done or finished, and running out of time to get it all done. 

Especially the sequencing side of it, as I have quite a few as WIP, but nowhere near being completed or useable yet. 

Maybe by Halloween 2024, I'll have it all done.  2023 may just be some simple animations for Halloween. 

Have a few Christmas props I'm working on, and Christmas will be the priority, as I can convert and add to my current Christmas sequences to easily add in the new items. 

Halloween I am starting all that over from scratch.

The only thing I do for Halloween is put up the lights on the eves and the year round landscape lighting.  I normally run them for about a week prior to Halloween.  Putting up the lights on the eves takes less than an hour total so I normally put them on the weekend prior to that.  So this year that means weekend of the 21 & 22 October.

Halloween night is the last night for the Halloween "show".  Those are pixels so nothing to take down until after Christmas.  I start putting up the Christmas display on the first weekend after Halloween, so this year it will be Saturday 4 November.  Because of the arrangement, the pixel tree needs to be the first thing set up (and the last thing taken down).  Standing up the tree and assembling it takes a crew.  This year I will be a bit different as I will be recovering from knee replacement surgery, so I will be more limited to ground work and have to get some friends to help with the ladder & roof parts.  I can just see the reaction of the surgeon if I told him I was going to climb ladders and walk around the roof two months after surgery!

I don't do LOR lighting for Halloween. I have a bunch of stuff that I've made and light with traditional lighting. I set up cemetery in the front  yard and I do use projectors and videos from AtmosFX.  I have the witch and the three ghosts. And a number of years ago I managed to cobble together Grim Grinning Ghosts on three pumpkins. My wife and I made the cauldron from a video I saw online.

I USED to set up my garage as a morgue and also used the other garage door opening as big rear screen. Haven't been able to do the garage things since I finished the basement and all the stuff in there had to go in the garage. One of these day I'll clean it up....

Hope this link works (let me know if it doesn't)....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JuBXnCUcroBTGJkMA

I normally start my Halloween show October 20th. It's much smaller and half the lights stay up for the Christmas show which I start setting up Nov 1. Halloween is one night where Christmas is a Season.

Edited by Mr. P