Light-O-Rama Forums

Garage door (window) ghoulies

TheDucks

I have a 7 window (18wx12h) Garage door. So I went looking online (HD,Walmart, Target...) for something that lights up (120V, controllable by my CTB16PC ) for Halloween.

Nada. What I found small enough is all battery only :(   OTOH last year, I gabbed 7 (assorted) Santa themed that used mini lights that worked out perfect

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v0MaCuzn1BUSh2MT8mb7p_0GLg1yG8sJ/view?usp=drive_link  (each window has a vampire outlet below it)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S3O__xEyKNFaysVMjCJnL5AvFkG1zeLy/view?usp=drive_link (note the service loop, which allows normal door motion. You can see where I hung the controller, which also serves the side windows)? Not lookin for bank busting itema and the MUST be light because of the door balance.

So  is any Coro shops making a set of 'small, 'ghoulies' (assorted Halloween themed images) (for standard string length mini-lights)

3 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

Sigh, I only have 12" tall (18" wide) and that is a freckle over the glass area. 

I find it hard to believe that I am the only  one that wants something (peeking) in those windows. Ghost was just 1 thing that came to mind. 7 windows (I think single doors have 4 of this size. There are doors with wider windows, just less across.

I suggested mini-lights as there is less wiring and gives us a use for our superseded AC hardware. 10, 35 lights seem to be common, so no tricks needed

You could always buy battery powered ghosts, ghouls, cats, etc. and do what I do with them when possible.  Most of these the battery/light compartment can be removed  if so, I remove all the internals, battery connections, Light/L.E.D. bulb and install a C7 socket, 120VAC C7 incandescent or dimmable L.E.D  bulb through the battery compartment if on the bottom and the prop has room for such inside it.   Or I go to the $1.25 store and buy a 10 light 120VAC light string for very small props and just stuff them inside, or if room and the prop is flat, drill holes for the lights to fit through the outline of the item.   

I did this with a 10 light string, orange lights, for some Halloween black cats I bought at the Dollar Tree years ago that get hung in my windows.  Worked out very well too, and I controlled the 4 cats with my CTB16PC controller.

Just some additional suggestions/ideas that may or may not work for the props you're looking to add for your CTB16PC Controller.

BTW: I hollowed out Styrofoam pumpkins and used the C7 sockets and lights, and have also converted many of the small to mid-sized battery operated pumpkins (Jack-O'-Lanterns) using C7 sockets and bulbs, which worked out very well too.  As most of these are large enough to accomodate the C7 socket and bulb.

Good Luck! 🙂

Edited by Orville

Thanks Orville. For 3D props, I do convert.

This is an active rollup door. Things need to be flat(ish) /thin and light weight so as to not affect the weight of the door (neighbor insulated his door, I could hardly lift it (after pulling the release) during a power outage. I can lift 100 lb things.

OK, Finding the right keywords, I managed to find a couple of 12" tall at Walmart.com (ordered) Thanks

4 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Thanks Orville. For 3D props, I do convert.

This is an active rollup door. Things need to be flat(ish) /thin and light weight so as to not affect the weight of the door (neighbor insulated his door, I could hardly lift it (after pulling the release) during a power outage. I can lift 100 lb things.

OK, Finding the right keywords, I managed to find a couple of 12" tall at Walmart.com (ordered) Thanks

That's what my cardboard black cats are, very thin, but just thick enough to poke the orange incan lights through it.

And they worked out at my late mother-in-laws garage that was a roll up door.  Just depends on the clearance when the door is opened, there was close to a 1-foot clearance from the garage door to the ceiling when opened, so the mini light sockets and bulbs worked in my case for the cats I used at the time.

Just have to make sure they can clear everything above the garage door.

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Orville said:

That's what my cardboard black cats are, very thin, but just thick enough to poke the orange incan lights through it.

And they worked out at my late mother-in-laws garage that was a roll up door.  Just depends on the clearance when the door is opened, there was close to a 1-foot clearance from the garage door to the ceiling when opened, so the mini light sockets and bulbs worked in my case for the cats I used at the time.

Just have to make sure they can clear everything above the garage door.

The Garage/house was built in the late 50's and the Garage is unfinished. Originally (before the construction industry got the codes to require finished Garages and basements.), the door was a wooden tilt up..

Some of the confusion here; I am putting things INSIDE (See picture links in my first post). Last Christmas, they dangled when the door was open (I did not use the suction cups, just tied them to the cross wire I used).

Last Halloween I made a Coro smart Bat (I gave it aircraft navigation lights in addition to the outline. Anyone know if i got them proper?)  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1siTb-AQad9AG0o_lhJ9E3owk2hFkzOqI/view?usp=drive_link