Light-O-Rama Forums

Writing sequences in a light show.

JLS

I am considering writing my own show, at some point, but I am new and I have not found a good teaching source for writing sequences.  Any suggestions?

As suggested, the LOR training videos are the best way to go for learning, unless, you know someone close to your physical location whom can assist in the education. Truly its not that hard to do and frankly, many people are scared of trying new things. May I suggest, start out simple your first year, then build on your knowledge you've acquired. My standard advice is first, take a picture of your house or wherever you plan for your show to take place. Print out several paper copies. Draw your strings, props or whatever on them. Now decide how you want them to appear as in changing colors, shimmers, fades and general appearances. First year, you may or may not want to get into animation. Anyway, your pictures, lights and desired appearances will dictate your hardware needs. The software is fairly easy to learn, as in the basics. Experiment with whatever controllers you get, inside of your house and learn. Don't take too much time as the year is growing short already.

• Like 1

Providing you can find some folks willing to share sequences, that is also an excellent learning tool.

However, more and more folks have limited, or completely stppped sharing sequences, due to others abusing the generosity of these folks.  As in re-sharing their work without permission, or worse selling others work as their own.

Some may still share, but you have to sign and agree to their stipulations before they will do so.

Sadly, this is what has become of sharing sequences due to others abusing folks generosity in doing so.  But, it still doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Orville

I am in my first year and have been learning since January. I watched a lot of the Luminous Harmony videos and then picked a short intro sequence to start with and learn. I started with just 16 AC channels. I've since done about 5 songs and continue learning with each one that I do, and once I felt I understood the AC sequencing, I added RGB flood lights and then a 16x25 pixel tree and star.

• Like 1

Welcome to club. You couldn't of picked a better time to start. The S6 sequencer has so much power and makes sequencing so much easier then previous versions. especially if you are using RGB pixels. I did my first sequence 14 years ago and now I sequence everything I play in my shows. In Addition I get paid to do  some sequencing work every month. My advice is pick a song you really like and start creating. when the questions come, and they will, Hit us up in these forums. This community has a lot of very experienced sequencers on here that can help. 

Have fun with it.

Kenny

2 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

Welcome to club. You couldn't of picked a better time to start. The S6 sequencer has so much power and makes sequencing so much easier then previous versions. especially if you are using RGB pixels. I did my first sequence 14 years ago and now I sequence everything I play in my shows. In Addition I get paid to do  some sequencing work every month. My advice is pick a song you really like and start creating. when the questions come, and they will, Hit us up in these forums. This community has a lot of very experienced sequencers on here that can help. 

Have fun with it.

Kenny

Thank you so much for the encouragement. 

I would also suggest buying a sequence (or two) and be sure you get a version that you can modify. Then you can see how many, if not most of the effects are created. You can then copy and paste things from the purchased sequence into your own. I find that the purchased sequences are designed for particular prop layout (i.e., Preview) and you can match them up to your Preview. 

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

I would also suggest buying a sequence (or two) and be sure you get a version that you can modify. Then you can see how many, if not most of the effects are created.

Absolutely - learn from the experts.  I also recommend buying a couple sequences written by different people.  In many cases, the same effect can be created in multiple ways.  Different sequencers will often do things differently.  Not that one is better than another - just different.  If you see multiple ways to create an effect, you can use those differences to your advantage when you start writing your own sequences.

This is an example from SuperStar since that is what I use for almost all of my sequencing.  I started off buying several sequences from BrianBruderer (who wrote SuperStar, so he does have a good idea how to use it).  I have later bought sequences from two other sources.  One of those other sources made use of the images function for stuff that has nothing to do with images.  For one of my specific effects, that works very well.