Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Me, First Show LOR

CarlosLG

Good afternoon, I need help. I want to set up a basic light show in my house and I would like to know if I have everything I need to connect the lights and start the sequences. this is what i want to buy

.Captura.thumb.PNG.0810bb512be6ff2f69a2a4e13b2cec0f.PNG

What is the Pixie4 gonna be used for? As the tree comes with its own controller...

Also if looking to get into Pixels - consider the "Pro" License Level

TSO Starter Package - is the Best "Starter" Package for the money...

Edited by Jimehc
  • Thanks 1

You show a Basic license. If you have none, buy a Starter package (with that CTB16, or Pixie),

(the starter package includes item discounted from list) The Starter package has a Black (slow speed) adapter (god for the AC and configuring any controller), but the Pixies will need a (formerly Red) HS adapter.

AND Bump the license to PRO because you have Pixels on your list  (Ralphie  (has a Pixie2) and  the Pixie4)

You will need CAT5 (lengths depend on placement of controllers), many of us build our own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the singing tree the only RGB lights you are going to use?  Like others said, the trees come with their own controller.

Do you already have lights you will be using?  And what type, RGB that requires an RGB controller or standard AC lights(LED or incandescent?) that plug directly into an AC outlet?

Also, beware of the newest AC LED strings being sold now that don't have a standard AC plug, they are now selling the newest AC LED strings that use an adapter to power the LED strings, these types CAN NOT be dimmed, faded or use any of the special effects (shimmer or twinkle), just Off or On, and any item that uses wall warts (AC to DC adapters) don't always work well with CTB16PC controllers. 

I've tried using props or lights that were controlled by adapters, and many times the adapters would keep the lights on that used them, especially some of the low voltage LED or AC (6VDC/12VDC adapter output) lights.   So I'd recommend staying away fom anything that uses a wall wart adapter with an AC Controller (CTB16PC), as the adapters can also cause the Triacs in an AC controller to fail much earlier, which can cause a channel on a CTB16PC controller to fail, which could leave you with a dead (always OFF) or Live channel (always ON) that can no longer be controlled.  Nor can you use any light strand that has its own built in controller that have them do mutiple effects, like chase, twinkle, etc., as these type lights also can not use anything but Off or On commands, if they are the type that retains their settings  then it may be possible to use them, again, only OFF or ON, otherwise, if they don't retain their setting, these type lights will DEFAULT back to their original setting every time they are turned Off, then back On, rendering them useless.  So I recommend staying away from any style lights that are dependant on adapters to power them.

RGB lights that are made for LOR style RGB Controllers get their power from their RGB output ports.  Just make sure you purchase the RGB lights with the proper connector for your controller connection, as many are sold with specific connectors, or no connector at all, as they can either be wired directly to a controller (depending on RGB controller) or you wire in a pigtail with the connector needed for your RGB lights connector type to those type RGB controllers.

Getting into RGB lighting opens up a large world of variations, controllers, connectors and RGB light types, all depending on user preferences and what, where, and how you will mount(House outline, fences, or bushes, trees around your yard) or install(RGB props) them.

I know, a lot to digest, but just trying to help you make the best decision on what you need to get started with in this hobby. 

Believe me, it can get quite frustrating and confusing at times, and this is the best place to find answers when you hit some of those times, and believe me, you will.  We all have at times.

So, if you need help, just ask here on the forums, someone may have the answer(s) you need.

Welcome to the hobby!🙂

Edited by Orville
Correct a bunch of typos
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jimehc said:

¿Para qué se utilizará el Pixie4? Como el árbol viene con su propio controlador...

Además, si busca ingresar a Pixels, considere el nivel de licencia "Pro"

Paquete de inicio TSO: es el mejor paquete de "inicio" por el dinero...

Does the tree driver work with cbt16??.
Another question, can I connect smart RGB "pixels" lights with a 240v transformer to the cbt16 controller? I leave an example image and product link

https://www.eminza.es/decoracion-de-navidad/cascada-luminosa-efecto-de-brillo-l2-m-blanco-frio-1080-led-cn-135358.html

Captura3.thumb.PNG.faf1fa7d2b4889d7ac2729a4f1b2eab6.PNG

1 hour ago, Orville said:

¿El árbol cantor es la única luz RGB que vas a usar? Como dijeron otros, los árboles vienen con su propio controlador.

¿Ya tienes las luces que usarás? ¿Y qué tipo, RGB que requiere un controlador RGB o luces de CA estándar (¿LED o incandescentes?) que se conectan directamente a una toma de CA?

Además, tenga cuidado con las cadenas de LED de CA más nuevas que se venden ahora que no tienen un enchufe de CA estándar, ahora están vendiendo las cadenas de LED de CA más nuevas que usan un adaptador para alimentar las cadenas de LED, estos tipos NO PUEDEN atenuarse, desvanecerse o use cualquiera de los efectos especiales (brillo o centelleo), solo apagado o encendido, y cualquier elemento que use verrugas de pared (adaptadores de CA a CC) no siempre funciona bien con los controladores CTB16PC. 

Intenté usar accesorios o luces que estaban controlados por adaptadores, y muchas veces los adaptadores mantendrían las luces encendidas que los usaban, especialmente algunas de las luces LED de bajo voltaje o CA (salida del adaptador de 6 V CC/12 V CC). Por lo tanto, recomendaría mantenerse alejado de cualquier cosa que use un adaptador de verruga de pared con un controlador de CA (CTB16PC), ya que los adaptadores también pueden hacer que los Triacs en un controlador de CA fallen mucho antes, lo que puede causar que un canal en un controlador CTB16PC falle. falla, lo que podría dejarlo con un canal inactivo (siempre APAGADO) o en vivo (siempre ENCENDIDO) que ya no se puede controlar. Tampoco puede usar ningún hilo de luz que tenga su propio controlador incorporado que les permita realizar múltiples efectos, como persecución, centelleo, etc., ya que este tipo de luces tampoco pueden usar nada más que los comandos de encendido o apagado.apagado, luego encendido de nuevo, haciéndolos inútiles. Por lo tanto, recomiendo mantenerse alejado de las luces de estilo que dependen de adaptadores para alimentarlas.

Las luces RGB que están hechas para los controladores RGB de estilo LOR obtienen su energía de sus puertos de salida RGB. Solo asegúrese de comprar las luces RGB con el conector adecuado para la conexión de su controlador, ya que muchas se venden con conectores específicos, o sin ningún conector, ya que pueden conectarse directamente a un controlador (según el controlador RGB) o usted cablea en un cable flexible con el conector necesario para su tipo de conector de luces RGB a esos controladores tipo RGB.

Entrar en la iluminación RGB abre un gran mundo de variaciones, controladores, conectores y tipos de luces RGB, todo según las preferencias del usuario y qué, dónde y cómo se montará (contorno de la casa, cercas o arbustos, árboles alrededor de su jardín) o instalarlos (accesorios RGB).

Lo sé, mucho para digerir, pero solo trato de ayudarte a tomar la mejor decisión sobre lo que necesitas para comenzar en este pasatiempo. 

Créame, a veces puede ser bastante frustrante y confuso, y este es el mejor lugar para encontrar respuestas cuando se encuentra con algunos de esos momentos, y créame, lo hará. Todos tenemos alguna vez.

Entonces, si necesita ayuda, solo pregunte aquí en los foros, alguien puede tener la(s) respuesta(s) que necesita.

¡Bienvenido a la afición! 🙂

thank you so much. I still don't have lights because I'm trying to understand everything.
Can you give me an example of lights with dimming effect, shine, twinkle please??. Do they work with the cbt16 controller?

21 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Los paquetes de inicio vienen con adaptadores de alta velocidad, ahora...

Muchas Gracias. ¿¿El RS485-Hs Alta velocidad tambien funciona con cbt16 o necesito el RS485 with adapter booster??

1 hour ago, Orville said:

¿El árbol cantor es la única luz RGB que vas a usar? Como dijeron otros, los árboles vienen con su propio controlador.

¿Ya tienes las luces que usarás? ¿Y qué tipo, RGB que requiere un controlador RGB o luces de CA estándar (¿LED o incandescentes?) que se conectan directamente a una toma de CA?

Además, tenga cuidado con las cadenas de LED de CA más nuevas que se venden ahora que no tienen un enchufe de CA estándar, ahora están vendiendo las cadenas de LED de CA más nuevas que usan un adaptador para alimentar las cadenas de LED, estos tipos NO PUEDEN atenuarse, desvanecerse o use cualquiera de los efectos especiales (brillo o centelleo), solo apagado o encendido, y cualquier elemento que use verrugas de pared (adaptadores de CA a CC) no siempre funciona bien con los controladores CTB16PC. 

He intentado usar accesorioso luces que estaban controladas por adaptadores, y muchas veces los adaptadores mantendrían encendidas las luces que los usaban, especialmente algunas de las luces LED de bajo voltaje o CA (salida del adaptador de 6 V CC/12 V CC). Por lo tanto, recomendaría mantenerse alejado de cualquier cosa que use un adaptador de verruga de pared con un controlador de CA (CTB16PC), ya que los adaptadores también pueden hacer que los Triacs en un controlador de CA fallen mucho antes, lo que puede causar que un canal en un controlador CTB16PC falle. falla, lo que podría dejarlo con un canal inactivo (siempre APAGADO) o en vivo (siempre ENCENDIDO) que ya no se puede controlar. Tampoco puede usar ningún hilo de luz que tenga su propio controlador incorporado que les permita realizar múltiples efectos, como persecución, centelleo, etc., ya que este tipo de luces tampoco pueden usar nada más que los comandos de encendido o apagado, si son del tipo que conserva su configuración, entonces puede ser posible usarlos, nuevamente, solo APAGADO o ENCENDIDO; de lo contrario, si no retienen su configuración, este tipo de luces volverán POR DEFECTO a su configuración original cada vez que se apaguen y luego se vuelvan a encender, dejándolas inservibles. Por lo tanto, recomiendo mantenerse alejado de las luces de estilo que dependen de adaptadores para alimentarlas.

Las luces RGB que están hechas para los controladores RGB de estilo LOR obtienen su energía de sus puertos de salida RGB. Solo asegúrese de comprar las luces RGB con el conector adecuado para la conexión de su controlador, ya que muchas se venden con conectores específicos, o sin ningún conector, ya que pueden conectarse directamente a un controlador (según el controlador RGB) o usted cablea en un cable flexible con el conector necesario para su tipo de conector de luces RGB a esos controladores tipo RGB.

Entrar en la iluminación RGB abre un gran mundo de variaciones, controladores, conectores y tipos de luces RGB, todo según las preferencias del usuario y qué, dónde y cómo se montará (contorno de la casa, cercas o arbustos, árboles alrededor de su jardín) o instalarlos (accesorios RGB).

Lo sé, mucho para digerir, pero solo trato de ayudarte a tomar la mejor decisión sobre lo que necesitas para comenzar en este pasatiempo. 

Créame, a veces puede ser bastante frustrante y confuso, y este es el mejor lugar para encontrar respuestas cuando se encuentra con algunos de esos momentos, y créame, lo hará. Todos tenemos alguna vez.

Entonces, si necesita ayuda, solo pregunte aquí en los foros, alguien puede tener la(s) respuesta(s) que necesita.

¡Bienvenido a la afición! 🙂

so with cbt16 you can only use lights with 1 light mode, on and off, and with pixie4 rbg you can use leds with flashing effects, glow...etc that don't have a built-in controller. I'm right?

thank you

1 hour ago, CarlosLG said:

Another question, can I connect smart RGB "pixels" lights with a 240v transformer to the cbt16 controller? I leave an example image and product link

https://www.eminza.es/decoracion-de-navidad/cascada-luminosa-efecto-de-brillo-l2-m-blanco-frio-1080-led-cn-135358.html

NoT with smart RGB.  The effects controller is in  the button box.
No(t really well because of the separate button box. The button forgets its mode every time power is removed) on an CTB16 PC GEN 3 with dimming curve on the port set to On/Off for that port  (I have 2 SIMILAR. 1) US Flag (24V) where the button is in the AC unit (and it remembers the setting between uses) and a wonderful 4.5' wire frame Halloween Cat (from HD), 5V,with a forgetful button and no specs (or mfg response and not shown for this year 😒) (there are 2 sections in parallel, making a natural split point if I knew the Max Voltage of the string. I could power a bank on my CMB24 from 5V and use 2 channels (ungroup a dumb RGB port) (The Home Accent Holidays series sold out before I could get back the next day)

3-Pins??  All mine have 2 pins. Please post the Label side (Curious what it says).

Captura3.thumb.PNG.faf1fa7d2b4889d7ac2729a4f1b2eab6.PNG

No, the LOR singing trees DO NOT work with a CTB16PC Controller, the trees use a 12VDC port output voltage to the pre-installed RGB lights that come with the package deal.  If they were connected to a CTB16PC Controller you would fry the RGB strings in the trees and could even possibly start a fire, as the RGB Singing Trees are a low voltage 12VDC system.  LED bulbs can actually pop and possibly even explode if too much excessive voltage is applied to them directly.  That's why there are specific types of controllers for RGB, and specific ones for AC powered (120VAC/240VAC) lights depending on controller configuration.

And  you wouldn't want to use anything with a transformer on a CTB16PC like that, always try to find lights that DO NOT use transformers or adapters with a CTB16PC, they could cause damage to the controller, and again, could become a fire hazard. 

But it does depend on the item, sometimes specific type adapters may work, but in my experience, just best to not use anything with transformers or adapters on AC Controllers, like the CTB16PC.

Edited by Orville

56 minutes ago, CarlosLG said:

so with cbt16 you can only use lights with 1 light mode, on and off, and with pixie4 rbg you can use leds with flashing effects, glow...etc that don't have a built-in controller. I'm right?

thank you

The controller supplies the effects (AS LONG AS THERE ARE ZERO modules/controls between the controller and device) 

There are 3 general types of lights:

1) AC powered (just light up when you plug them into the wall. Nothing else. No other control) Effect is per Port

2) Dumb RGB (12V or 24V DC are most common). 4 wires +v, R,G,B  Effect is per RGB Port

3) Smart RGB (5V and 12V DC most common), most have 3 wires  +V, Data, Gnd Effect is per Node

You mentioned 240VAC (Guessing Europe). LOR does offer the CTB16 in 240V. Be absolutely sure to select 240V  on Ready To Go (RTG) RGB packages

thank you

Not exactly  the CTB16PC AC controller is capable of fading up/down, setting the lights to any intensity from 0(off) to 100%(full on), they can also twinkle and shimmer, but the entire string or strings on the channel they are used on would be the lights that would be affected.  To use the effects across all 16 channels of a CTB16PC would require each channel have the effect or effects done in the sequencer.  So channel 1 could be twinkling (blinking off/on), Channel 2 could be shimmering (very, very fast off and on, not a twinkle and not really a blink, as the shimmer effect the lights do not go full off), Channel 3 could have fades up/down.  So you are not really limited to one effect, as these effects can be used in conjunction with each other along each channel of the CTB16PC Controller.

If you haven't downloaded the Demo version of the LOR Software, I'd highly recommend you do so, then you can somewhat see and understand how these effects are used.

With smart RGB controllers, you can control each pixel independantly, so you can do much more with smart pixels (RGB) than you can with a standard AC Controller or Dumb RGB Controller.  All depends on what YOU want to do and how much control you want or need in your display.

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheDucks said:

No con RGB inteligente. El controlador de efectos está en la caja de botones.
No (no muy bien debido a la caja de botones separada. El botón olvida su modo cada vez que se desconecta la alimentación) en una PC CTB16 GEN 3 con curva de atenuación en el puerto configurado en Encendido/Apagado para ese puerto   (tengo 2 SIMILARES. 1 ) US Flag (24V) donde el botón está en la unidad de CA (y recuerda la configuración entre usos) y un maravilloso marco de alambre de 4.5 'Halloween Cat (de HD), 5V, con un botón olvidado y sin especificaciones (o respuesta MFG y no se muestra para este año 😒 ) (hay 2 secciones en paralelo, formando un punto de división natural si supiera el voltaje máximo de la cuerda. Podría alimentar un bancoen mi CMB24 de 5V y uso 2 canales (desagrupar un puerto RGB tonto) (La serie Home Accent Holidays se agotó antes de que pudiera volver al día siguiente)

3 pines??  Todos los mios tienen 2 pines. Por favor, publique el lado de la etiqueta (Curioso lo que dice).

you're right. 2 pins is connected to the DC transformer 😄