Light-O-Rama Forums

Advice on RGB Ribbon? What to buy?

Rosie123

Hi, I currently have 2x residential controller boxes (that I plug my old school traditional lights into), I added a 10x RGB flood kit last year and have it daisy chained with my two controllers. Works great. One box is on my deck, the flood box is tucked behind the fake trees and the other box and all controls are in the garage.

My problem is the lights at the top of my house (it is too high for me to do). I have to pay someone to put them up and adjust the every year and I don't always get them taken down and the house looks awful year round. I want to add a nice permanent option, so I just plug it in the winter and its ready to go. I am looking at the RGB white strips (but I see they are shorter like 5 feet and each strand needs to plug in directly to the controller - so that starts getting messy as my house is very long). Is there longer light strand options? so I could potentially have 3-6 larger strands etc. and get extensions to make them reach the garage.

What do I need to purchase to make this happen?

Also, would the programming in the software be the same as when I added the flood lights? or do I need to learn something new?

I don't understand the technical lingo too well, but would love advice (in easy terms) so I won't have old school lights drooped and dangling up year round. I attached a pic to help visualize.

Thanks,

Rosie

housefull.jpg

5 Meters, not 5 feet. ~16 feet  Depending on how many nodes per 5M, 2-3 end to end is possible  @12V per port.  Just remember the first node maximum distance from the controller is 25' (and I will assume 50 nodes) Data degrading and voltage drop rear their ugly heads.

Strips in hard to get at places are not a great idea. Add in a roof sun exposure.... Strips are the most fragile of the 3 common styles.

Also RGB is a bucket brigade. A dead (failed) node can stop the rest from getting data. (see hard to get at note)

Not sure now....but when I used strips they will degrade with UV rays! Become very fragile!

51 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Not sure now....but when I used strips they will degrade with UV rays! Become very fragile!

Yes, they will yellow over time and turn brown if left up long enough. Mine are under my eaves so they are not in direct sun so they last a little longer.