Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar Error

Jimehc

It appears that SSedit.exe has a Hard coded Default Directory > "c:\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations\Editor\Samples\Sample.lee"

If I edit the SSedit.cfg file located in the - /Light-O-Rama/Superstar - directory to show the proper directory location - it is just re-written to that absolute path.

That is not the Default Directory used during the S5/S6 Software Installation and causes an error message when open Superstar...

That cfg file needs to use the relative path as followed by the S5/S6 software installation or as set by Folder Preferences..

%Path%\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations

The work around was to copy - %Path%\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations - > C:\

Edited by Jimehc

What are you doing that is running into this issue?  I'm assuming you mean if you open a Sequence directly in SuperStar rather that the S5 / S6 way of doing it by way of Sequencer.

I just tried that on my installation and you are partially right.  It does default to c:\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations\Editor\Samples\Sample.lee if there is no visualization assigned, but if you open the visualization selection, it does properly open up to my L\: directory structure.

Damn, it's been five years since I created a Visualization file....

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

What are you doing that is running into this issue?  I'm assuming you mean if you open a Sequence directly in SuperStar rather that the S5 / S6 way of doing it by way of Sequencer.

I just tried that on my installation and you are partially right.  It does default to c:\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations\Editor\Samples\Sample.lee if there is no visualization assigned, but if you open the visualization selection, it does properly open up to my L\: directory structure.

Damn, it's been five years since I created a Visualization file....

Jim you are correct. All of my visualizations still work while opening SS outside of S6. I still use S4/ S5 and S6 LOL. Using the software as it is written is all I know with the exception of updating the SSedit file when needed. LOL

JR

Yes, it is when opening SUP files directly with SuperStar...

And an easy Fix....

I would also guess that you have a C:\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations - that exists from S4 (as that appears to be the default working directory for SuperStar)

19 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

I would also guess that you have a C:\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations - that exists from S4 (as that appears to be the default working directory for SuperStar)

Not sure if that was directed to me.  I don't have a C:\Light-O-Rama directory.  I'm not sure this computer ever had S4 on it.

It was a Report... (Actually for the second time) Brian stated back then, it would be fixed...

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Not sure if that was directed to me.  I don't have a C:\Light-O-Rama directory.  I'm not sure this computer ever had S4 on it.

That path, if it existed, is poor security as it is in ROOT.  Did the OP override the default location?

The normal install puts it in a Users DOCUMENTS folder.

You are correct in S5/S6 the Default Installation Directory is  %UserProfile%\Documents\Light-O-Rama

But that is not where SuperStar is hard coded to Look....

For what it is worth, before S5 and S6 I coded superstar to use c:\Light-O-Rama\Visualizations if it could not find a Visualizations folder in the standard lightorama path.

It turns out that in S5 and S6 the Visualizations folder was removed so superstar uses c:\Light-ORama\Visualizations for the Visualization folder.

It was an oversight on my part but it looks like you have found a good workaround for using superstar the "S4" way with an S5 or S6 installation.

If S5 or S6 is installed on a fresh computer then the Visualizations folder will not be there.

But if you have installed S5 or S6 on top of an S4 installation then the Visualizations folder will be there because it was already there for S4, and I thought superstar would find it. But it sounds like it doesn't find it. The locations of these folders are in the registry and it sounds like superstar doesn't find it because it is not in the registry.