Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Row Issue with Ripple effect

Obejohnknobe

Hello everyone!!

Thank you for all of you help and have an S6 question on motion effects.

Song - Stranger Things - Kate Bush - "Running up that Hill" for the Halloween Light show.  Use beat wizard for my sequencing as I am familiar with music and feel comfortable with it.

Ran into a problem trying to get my spiders (3 and 4 foot from Boscoyo) to do a ripple circle outward on the beat.  I can move the timing line to the beat but found what I think is an issue to separate the beat on the spiders.  Each beat (audio waveform) is on the timing line with no spacing between each beat.  Tried copy and paste for each beat but there was only 1 ripple at the 1st beat and none afterwards even though the row goes for about 30 seconds.  Used the 20 seconds on the row of the ripple effect then used infinite on number of times, ramped the speed to max (50) on the ripple effect but it is not fast enough for the ripple to occur on the beat.  Moving or sub-dividing the lines are not an option due to the slowness of the ripple. 

Increasing the beat detection in the wizard for example the timing lines will increase the beat will be every other time line.  Seems like the way to go but after I tried this, it caused the lines to go narrow on the lines on the ones moved already.  Would have to delete everything and start over and doing it on the front end  You can separate every other beat (space between the effect) with 1 ripple effect, it is on time but does not look correct.   You can also use more than 1 motion effects row (have 4 per spider) in this case 2 and add the effect with 1 ripple effect on row 1 and beat 2 on row 2 then alternate for each spider. 

Hope am clear on describing the issue.

Theoretically, using ripple on infinite number of times and ramp the speed up beyond 50, you should be able to keep it on the beat.

Any ideas before I commit to a lot of copy, pasting since there are a bunch of beat pauses in the song? 

Thanks!!!

John

set your beat ramps for the whole song... Select the first ramp - insert motion effect (Ripple-set to duration) - open the player window - Select Motion effect from preview tool bar also select Playback... Select the whole row or whatever duration of sequence and then hit the "M" key.... The effect being shown in the Playback window - will be applied to every effect in that row or for the selected duration..

Edited by Jimehc

Jim,

Really confused about the lingo and where you are finding these items.  I must be in novice mode and it is unclear to me

Beat Ramps - are you talking about the beat wizard?  I have already set the beat ramps (I call it timing lines) in the beat wizard it if that is the case.  I do not use free form which may be the case for the reference

Select 1st ramp - are you referring the beat wizard?  Where do you find that in the sequencer?  Is it the block of time where the Spider is and can select the motion effect?

Player window - Is it the Preview window where I have all of my props to see it when they play?

Did try the old click on everything to see what popped up method but found nothing that correlates.  Tried using help menu and nothing that describes the info.  Did find motion effect row option.  Is it possible you can be more specific, please?

Thanks,

John

duration of the beat you want to ripple (beat ramps)

Image013.jpg

Image015.jpg

Edited by Jimehc

On 7/13/2023 at 2:35 PM, Obejohnknobe said:

Jim,

Really confused about the lingo and where you are finding these items.  I must be in novice mode and it is unclear to me

Beat Ramps - are you talking about the beat wizard?  I have already set the beat ramps (I call it timing lines) in the beat wizard it if that is the case.  I do not use free form which may be the case for the reference

Select 1st ramp - are you referring the beat wizard?  Where do you find that in the sequencer?  Is it the block of time where the Spider is and can select the motion effect?

Player window - Is it the Preview window where I have all of my props to see it when they play?

Did try the old click on everything to see what popped up method but found nothing that correlates.  Tried using help menu and nothing that describes the info.  Did find motion effect row option.  Is it possible you can be more specific, please?

Thanks,

John

"Beat ramps" IMO and looking at his photo would be "fades". Nomenclature does mean a lot here. "Ripple" is a ME in the drop down. 

The "M" key will place all ME's in every effect on the grid row within a specified time so be careful if you have any other effects within the area.

The rest of his answer and picture, well a video would be worth a thousand words.

JR

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Obejohnknobe said:

Worked perfectly!!!  Thank you!!

Would you happen to have a video of this sequence playing?

Very nice!

Is the mega tree done with motion row effects or Super Star? What about the mini tree's in between the candy canes?

This is not mine but someone off of YouTube.  I am looking to replicate the first part of the video with the snowflake falling from the sky in a v pattern and going back up from where it came from.  Not getting where in the motion effects to do the whole house just like the video.

John

I was able to do the ripple effect on my spiders this year and do a whole house the same.  Was not able to do a video on it due to a wind storm blowing most of my props over.  I did do a short video of the ripple effect using record screen and posting on my YouTube channel "Lights on Holcomb".  Try "Running up that Hill" by Kate Bush from Stranger Things Netflix show on the channel.

John

55 minutes ago, Obejohnknobe said:

This is not mine but someone off of YouTube.  I am looking to replicate the first part of the video with the snowflake falling from the sky in a v pattern and going back up from where it came from.  Not getting where in the motion effects to do the whole house just like the video.

John

I thought it looked like Xlights running, but wanted to check. I was interested in the effects. Some of the mini tree stuff I can replicate. The mega tree is outside my skill range.

I think the guy does Xlights but have been able to replicate a few of the scenes.  The ripple effect is easy with layering of motion effects but the mega tree is also outside of my realm of expertise.  Need a really comprehensive course in Superstar and motion effects to come close.