Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Tree Cost

AllAmericanJock

In the LOR store each of the 4 singing Christmas tree's are $340 and my question is are they worth the price. For the set of all 4 it's $1360.00+. On another website there are some singing Christmas tree's, but are mostly "you build" or have bad reviews. 

I think the LOR RGB singing trees are worth it, but you'll still have to build frames and or supports for them.  So still some construction is needed.

It all boils down to your skills and how much you want to spend.

I Love my older version 1 trees, and the LOR trees RGB nodes are pre-installed for you, unlike others that you will have to populate manually, which can be a big headache.  And the LOR trees also come with a controller dedicated to its tree, making set-up much easier.

@Orville hit the major points FOR getting LOR trees.  I am a bit curious on Why LOR only sells trees RTG (sans frame, which might depend on where you choose to place them).?

If you do go with others. BURN THE STRINGS IN (24-48 hrs) BEFORE INSTALLING.

I did some estimation for 4 trees using a Pixie8  RTG w/800 nodes vs the trees normal Pixie2x4 and you save $120 doing it their way (4xPixie2).

The down side of Pixie2 is you need a way to handle and SHELTER all 4 of those NEMA 1-15P (standard US 2 prong) plugs

13 hours ago, TheDucks said:

@Orville hit the major points FOR getting LOR trees.  I am a bit curious on Why LOR only sells trees RTG (sans frame, which might depend on where you choose to place them).?

If you do go with others. BURN THE STRINGS IN (24-48 hrs) BEFORE INSTALLING.

I did some estimation for 4 trees using a Pixie8  RTG w/800 nodes vs the trees normal Pixie2x4 and you save $120 doing it their way (4xPixie2).

The down side of Pixie2 is you need a way to handle and SHELTER all 4 of those NEMA 1-15P (standard US 2 prong) plugs

I never sheltered my Pixie2 plugs, they have held up and done very well out in the weather, scorching sun and torrential rain/thunderstorms.  I just make sure the plug connections are #1. Off the ground and #2. They always face prong side up (wall mounted), or vertically if close to ground level using light stakes keeping them off the direct ground, and out of water/mud puddles.

Been doing this for all my outdoor decor for over 10+ years, never have had any issues.  Can't always shelter power connections in the outside world. ;)

Edited by Orville
Put down, when should have been "up" for wall connection

I don't own any LOR faces but I recently started Sequencing the LOR singing Trees and they seem to be a great set up for those with little to no experience with creating and sequencing of pixel props, They are pretty much plug and play. but you are now limited to only LOR V1 or V2 sequences which by the way are well worth getting for the money. Creating sequences takes a lot of time and sequencing singing elements takes a basic knowledge of how Animation works.  My only issue with the LOR singing tree set up is with the Macro set up with in the Pixie 2. These macros create the mouth, eyes and outline position channels by simulating Dumb RGB strings for each position. With this set up, it eliminates the ability to use Motion Effects. The good part is that by disabling the macro in the Pixie controller you can now make a custom prop preview for each LOR Tree and set the preview up to use Motion Effects. I have 8 singing elements in my own displays and none use the LOR Macro set up. so each singing element is capable of using any Motion Effect and any number of ME rows. My set up is pretty much the LOR V2 set up with same string position for Mouth, Eyes and outline but set up in a Motion Effect row for each position. In conclusion I have shared a lot of information here and if it is all Greek to you then it is well worth the money and less headaches to buy those LOR plug and play singing trees.

Have fun with it.

Kenny Jure

16 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

I don't own any LOR faces but I recently started Sequencing the LOR singing Trees and they seem to be a great set up for those with little to no experience with creating and sequencing of pixel props, They are pretty much plug and play. but you are now limited to only LOR V1 or V2 sequences which by the way are well worth getting for the money. Creating sequences takes a lot of time and sequencing singing elements takes a basic knowledge of how Animation works.  My only issue with the LOR singing tree set up is with the Macro set up with in the Pixie 2. These macros create the mouth, eyes and outline position channels by simulating Dumb RGB strings for each position. With this set up, it eliminates the ability to use Motion Effects. The good part is that by disabling the macro in the Pixie controller you can now make a custom prop preview for each LOR Tree and set the preview up to use Motion Effects. I have 8 singing elements in my own displays and none use the LOR Macro set up. so each singing element is capable of using any Motion Effect and any number of ME rows. My set up is pretty much the LOR V2 set up with same string position for Mouth, Eyes and outline but set up in a Motion Effect row for each position. In conclusion I have shared a lot of information here and if it is all Greek to you then it is well worth the money and less headaches to buy those LOR plug and play singing trees. I wouldn't be surprised if LOR started making singing Pumpkins for Halloween in the future. 😉

Have fun with it.

Kenny Jure

Before I received my V1 trees about 2 years ago or so.  I didn't know they used dumb mode (8 channels for V1), so I had painfully set them up for every single pixel, programming that was a nightmare! ROFL

But when jrdibble explained to me how to set them up using dumb mode,then programming them became so much simpler and easier! :)

• Like 2

The V2 Trees are great. Most know how many singers I have and the V2 have a much smoother transition between words when sequenced properly. 

Some of the ones out on the market are hideous at best.

The LOR trees are well worth the investment if you like your audience to have fun and sing along with them.

JR

• Like 2