Light-O-Rama Forums

12 volt battery for power

Blow mold Snowman

Assuming that they are 12 volt pixels, no problem.  If they are 5 volt pixels, it can still be done, but ONLY if you regulate the 12 volts down to 5 volts.  The pixel controller DOES NOT perform that voltage regulation.

If you needed 5V, you probably would be better starting with a 6V battery (yes, those are still made and are used for rally high current loads, where a single 12V would be way heavy))

For voltage regulation. Keywords:  Buck-Boost   I am not sure of the common availability of those in a 30A range or the noisy immunity of LOR controllers in that service.

💡 at 12V, is a piece of cake. Remember most batteries are rated in AH (ampere hours) AT a 8Hr rate. You get less AH if you draw faster.

💡💡  Remember to include a Low Voltage cutoff. Deep discharges are hard/bad for batteries

Thanks for the info. Looking to make my pixel matrix stand alone.

10 hours ago, Blow mold Snowman said:

Thanks for the info. Looking to make my pixel matrix stand alone.

Matrix... Stand alone...

You have other considerations. Many of our members use controllers on Vehicles without issue,

1) The vehicle supplies or recharges the 12V battery. How will you get that done? Solar? Daily Swap?

💡 Batteries hate deep discharge or being left in a low state. Oh! COLD also reduces capacity and affects recharge. Please supply the conditions they will be used in for more advice. Ohio... Winter...  is not the same as SoCal 😁

2) They shut OFF (disconnect) the power to the controller after the show is done for the day . You should also include Automatic Low Voltage shut off to prevent deep discharge, (Dead batteries can freeze and burst)

One of our members that runs a Matrix will have to supply you with the typical power numbers in WHr that you need to support.

WHr and show run time are needed to size the (bank of) battery correctly