Light-O-Rama Forums

Last show was 2017 S3 software

Chris B

Hello all. Its been quite a few years since running my last show..... XMAS of 2017 to be exact.  I'm looking to maybe get a show going again this XMAS 2023. I've noticed quite a few software upgrades and honestly haven't been following up on any of them. Long and short of it my question is.... Can my what I consider legacy sequences run on the newer software? I believe the last software I have is S3. Thanks for any help

Chris

Yes.  There is a little "conversion" work to do.  Most of that relates to getting a decent preview of your show.  If you used Visualizer on S3, then it is at least fairly easy to create a Preview.  Yes, there are a lot of differences, but there is lots of help here to get you up to speed.  Also, there is a Zoom room on the first Tuesday of every month (until later in the year when it becomes weekly).  There is a specific topic each month, but after an hour, it reverts to whatever is needed.  There are a lot of people converting from S3 or S4 or S5 to S6 so usually lots of traffic related to that.  Details are announced here on the forum on the morning of the Zoom.

Thanks Jim. My sequences and audio files were all saved to usb thumb drive. I assume these saved sequences would have to be "converted". I'm not sure I'd have to do anything with the visualizer unless i wanted to start adding new sequences? Thanks again!

Chris

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thanks Jim. My sequences and audio files were all saved to usb thumb drive. I assume these saved sequences would have to be "converted". I'm not sure I'd have to do anything with the visualizer unless i wanted to start adding new sequences? Thanks again!

Chris

If you are wanting to run a show this year using S6 I would highly recommend that you start now. There is a huge learning curve going from S3 to S6 and you will be pulling your hair out more then not.

Don't let him scare you.  In order to JUST play your existing S3 sequences in S6 would take about 10 minutes.  In order to edit them in S6 will take some more effort.  But as I said before, there is plenty of help here.  There will be some concepts to wrap your head around...

If you are planning to keep your show mostly AC and not pixels, there's really no need to update to more than version 4.4. 

6 minutes ago, Brian Mitchell said:

If you are planning to keep your show mostly AC and not pixels, there's really no need to update to more than version 4.4. 

While that is a true statement, this is the golden opportunity to make the S6 jump - and the right time of year.

• Like 1

Chris I see your running on version 4 I'm still running version 3.12.2 and will be for a while,  I just like all the old stuff and don't want to change, it's kinda hard at 78 I will be old school forever. But don't let me discourage you from advancing into all the new things that are out there.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY
correction

Earle, I think the problem if I remember correctly was the last time I used the software there was an update available to S4. If I remember correctly the user interface changed so much that even my sequence editor looked different and all my sequences were no longer there. As an fyi to everyone here I had a mix of ac controllers and pixel controllers (J1sys p12r boards) if that adds to how long its been. I'm interested in giving it a go and when I've finally decided to make the leap I will be back asking lots of questions. I thank you all for your help and advice!

Chris

I'm mostly pixels now and only using one CTB16PC {Pre-Gen3} controller in my set-up.  I am using S4.4.16 PRO and I haven't had any issues, like Earl, I'm old school and I really don't like the newest methods of being forced into making previews for every little thing in my display.  I like the old sequencer, find it much easier and less complicated to use.  But, even though I'm nowhere close to Earl's age, I'll hit 67 this year in 2023, i just prefer the old sequencer, and S4 has enough features that I haven't had any issues with the RGB lighting I have in my Display now.   I just received my RGB Strawberry light order from HC, 14 new 12V RGB pixel strands, I also have 3 HC Coro Pixel based Snowflakes, the medium-sized ones, and 8 HC 10W RGB Floods. 2 LOR Singing Christmas RGB Trees {Ralphie and Zuzu} and I am now running all the pixels off my Pixie16D Controller, I still have 8 older 5V CCB100D RGB Controllers that I could still put into service if I want to use the older 5V RGB strawberry strands.   And S4.4.16 does get the job done for me.  And is probably where I will stay until the lights expire, or I do, whichever comes first. LOL

Just seems to be too much excessive work in making a preview for every prop or light strand in a display, I prefer things easy and simple, and is why I will stay with S4.4.16, the last S4 version.   I started trying to learn S5 on a new computer{refurbished}, but it died soon after I got started, never could get a preview set or any lights to work in S5 before that system went belly up on me.    Not saying the new software isn't any good, it's just not for me, you may like it, I just couldn't get anything to work in it, and seems a lot of folks still have issues creating previews to make things work.   Just don't understand why the newer software, at least to me, is not as user-friendly as previous versions are compared to S5 or S6.

Just give S6 a try, if you like it and find it workable, go for it, but if it just aggravates and frustrates you trying to make things work, then I'd suggest S4.4.16 Pro, as that is what you've been accustomed too before S5/6 came about.  All a matter of personal choice.  Just decided that the newer versions aren't for me, just too complicated in my book.

Edited by Orville

Thanks for the reply. I guess what i was hoping to do was just be able to "import" my old sequences into the new software and run a show. It doesn't seem that way without some kind of conversion process. I did order S6 today and will give it a test drive. I'll be back soon enough to ask questions on converting my what i'd call my legacy sequences. Thanks everyone!

Chris

As I said in an earlier post, in order to JUST PLAY your existing S3 sequences in S6 will take less than 10 minutes.  That is easy.  Being able to edit them will get more involved.  the first part is to create a Preview.

Likely it would help to get on the phone and strongly prefer a remote session.  If you have or can install TeamViewer on your computer, I would be happy to work with you.  I will send you my phone number via a direct message.

Jim I appreciate the help immensely and will take you up on the offer when I get the software set up on the new computer when it arrives. Thanks so much!

• The topic was locked