Light-O-Rama Forums

Bug? - Dumb RGB channel listing changes by itself.

k6ccc

In prep for moving some of my dumb RGB channels around, I copied one of my previews, and then started editing the copy for the upcoming changes.  Ran into something odd in the Prop Definition.  When I started with each dumb RGB channel set, there was a single entry for the channels that correctly listed three channels in use for that RGB channel set.  As soon as I entered a change on either the Start Unit ID or the Start Channel, the three channels were broken up into three separate line items.  The same change was also shown on the String Summary page - which makes the String Summary listing much longer.  The image below shows a before (red outline) and after (green outline) for both the Prop Definition and String Summary showing these changes.  Any particular reason for this change?  If the image does not show in your browser, there is a link directly to it below the image.

6.1.10_Dumb-RGB_channel_listing.png

http://www.newburghlights.org/images/6.1.10_Dumb-RGB_channel_listing.png

Listing red, green, and blue separately for dumb rgb is the newer way. Having them all on one line is the older way. Internally, the program can handle either one, but as you noticed, when you make a change it will flip to the newer approach. 

Out of curiosity, I installed 5.4.2 and it uses the newer way. So the newer way has been there for at least 2 years. 

I have not changed any of my landscaping dumb RGB channels in years, so had not noticed the change.

I am curious why?  Other that making the channel listing far longer (seems a negative to me), is there a plus to it?  You don't do it that way for smart RGB (Thank God), so why do dumb RGB any different?

I did some more digging. It has been the "newer" way since version 5.0.20. The "older" way only existed in the beta versions. 

This exists because RGB channels in S4 did not have to be consecutive. In order to maintain compatibility, the red, greeen, and blue channels in S5 had to be listed separately so non-consecutive channels could be specified.

56 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

This exists because RGB channels in S4 did not have to be consecutive. In order to maintain compatibility, the red, greeen, and blue channels in S5 had to be listed separately so non-consecutive channels could be specified.

Good answer.  Thanks Matt.