Light-O-Rama Forums

Minimum specs for CPU to run S6?

Jaynee

So, my ancient 2014 desktop CPU that I used to program my show on has died.  It's fine.  I'm not bothered.  The show was built in S4. I upgraded to S6 last summer but then never did anything because there was no way I had time to reprogram my entire list of props and songs in 5-6 months.

I'm thinking of getting a mini CPU this time around rather than a behemoth tower.  I found an old thread from 2019 talking about recommended computer specs, but it's 2023 and S6 is out - so what would be the new minimum standards for running S6?  I run the show from a miniDirector, so I'm not worried about running the show from the CPU.

I should add - this mini will pretty much only be used for LOR and Office 365 programs. Very little else, if anything.

My personal choice is to avoid a PC that will not allow a full-height PCI card (just in case you need more... <USB, Network>

Many years ago I ended up with a Dell Optiplex (LFF) that only accepted low profile cards. Almost nothing I wanted had that form (I  did get a WiFi card that fit after swapping the included bracket)

You will find the minimum specs listed on the LOR site here.

That said, my *personal* opinion? Buy as powerful of a computer as you can reasonably afford. Every time I buy a new Desktop or Laptop I get the highest CPU and RAM I can afford. As a result I've only bought 2 desktops since 2012. (And the one I have now will easily last another 2-4 years.)

To add to what Don said, particularly if you have piles of pixels, get a really good video card and PLAN on at least two monitors - I'm running four 24 inch monitors, and I'm currently sequencing about 67K channels, and next year that will go up by something close to 25K channels.  Without a good video card, you can't get decent operation with piles of pixels.  For sequencing, get the best computer you can afford.  For a dedicated show player, almost anything will do - note S6 REQUIRES Windows 10 which has higher requirements than a dedicated show computer.

I agree with both Don and Jim on this. I'm a true believer in providing a computer with all the resources it can handle therefore allowing you the options as things change. Besides, why have a computer struggling to juggle things to make it run, such as not enough RAM memory and etc...give it what it needs to do its job. Remember that Windows 10 comes to an end of support in 2025 so consider something with the Windows 11 capabilities or whatever comes next.