Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 8x50 Pixel Tree

Rob3

Hi, I’m very new to all of this so apologies for the simple questions. Im looking to get an LOR 8x50 pixel tree package with a Pixie 8. I have the following questions. 

1) Whats the best pixel spacing?

2) Is 180degree enough for 8 strings?

3) Can i put a star on top and control it with the Pixie 8 or do I need an additional controller for the star?

3) With the Showtime Designer generic starter pack are there sequences that I can use or do I have to program them myself?

4) With the kit below is there anything else needed to get me up and running?

https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-products/products/pixie-8-bundle

A pixie can control 100 nodes per port . You do need to pay attention to Maximum Amps per bank (and how much wiggle room the installed PSU has)

The side issue: Canned sequences, expect ports to control lights in specific places. If you do not wish to us those, you are golden. (or buy You Can Modify so you can shuffle port assignments)

2 hours ago, David Rise said:

Pixie controllers can handle 170 pixels per string.  Probably even more if you're only running 30%

David: Newbie.... They do not need complicated, but if you do ...  Not plug and Pray that it wiil work.

The reason I use 100, is LOR sequences (and their kits) have 100/port versions. No fuss No Muss.

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

A pixie can control 100 nodes per port . You do need to pay attention to Maximum Amps per bank (and how much wiggle room the installed PSU has)

The side issue: Canned sequences, expect ports to control lights in specific places. If you do not wish to us those, you are golden. (or buy You Can Modify so you can shuffle port assignments)

So i can power the 400 nodes from 4 ports then have the 5th port to power the star?

Make sure your Pixie8s using 12vdc pixels use a 500w power supply. I used 350w this year and had some issues. I see the assembled pixies from LOR have 500w power supplies. I will use these next year.

A pixie 8 or 16 has 2 power buses. you can use 2 (>350-450W) supplies (1 for each bus).  Do a load calc and save $.

A worst case Amps, is all strings White, but that will push the Port fuse if you use the whole 100 White (~6.6A) more than briefly. ( I do 1/10 sec 'Lightning Flashes' on Halloween. anything that can do White: Slam Slam. The neighbors houses reflect a lot 😈 )

Try an split the large loads between buses (200+200), then your topper on one

On 1/3/2023 at 6:21 AM, David Rise said:

Pixie controllers can handle 170 pixels per string.  Probably even more if you're only running 30%

170 is MAX on an LOR network. Doesn’t matter what percentage.

JR

On 1/3/2023 at 6:00 AM, TheDucks said:

170 nodes per port. 

JR