Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT2 vs. SPT2W

dblack

Is there a difference in SPT2 and SPT2W? Nothing has turned up in my search.

I'm making a supplies list and have a spool of SPT2 wire, but the C9 sockets from the same site say they are SPT2W.

I've seen the same thing with SPT1, too.

1 hour ago, dblack said:

Is there a difference in SPT2 and SPT2W? Nothing has turned up in my search.

If I remember correctly, LOR's order page says the "w" means it is "weather" rated. I buy from them for that reason, although it's probably marketing. I've bought lamp cord from Lowes in a pinch and don't notice much difference.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LaughsBrightly said:

If I remember correctly, LOR's order page says the "w" means it is "weather" rated. I buy from them for that reason, although it's probably marketing. I've bought lamp cord from Lowes in a pinch and don't notice much difference.

And you can’t mix them? For example, I found a site selling SPT2W sockets, and they say to use with SPT2W wire, but they only sell SPT2 wire.

I would imagine you could? I've bought SPT1w from LOR and used with plugs from AJ's without issue. Never seen "w" labeled plugs but still pretty knew to this. I suppose it's possible the W plugs (if w is for outdoor rating) could be a little thicker and not quite fit correctly. I've never bought individual sockets like C9s and attached so I just don't know. Call the vendor's customer service and ask? Buy the sockets there and the W wire from LOR at the spring sale? (I've never seen W wire anywhere but LOR so not sure if it's a marketing gimmick or the LOR wire is just better outdoors).

I have purchase two 500 foot rolls of C7 Stringer - it is on my roof (year round) and on my lawn (seasonal) - it is SPT1.... SPT2 is the same wire gauge with a thicker insulation....

SPT2 Specs

• Max Run = 170 Sockets with 7 Watt Incandescent Bulbs
  • Max Run = 480 Sockets with 1 Watt LED Bulbs

SPT1 Specs

• Max Run = 137 Sockets using 7 Watt Incandescent Bulbs
  • Max Run = 384 Sockets using with 1 Watt LED Bulbs

Edited by Jimehc

And if it does mean "wet rated" it isn't if you use vampire plugs. I would think you would have to use some sort of sealed plug to keep that rating. I don't have anything near the 7amp limit for spt1 going on one connection and it all seems work fine even if it got wet and then dried. I don't run the show in the rain anyway 

5 hours ago, dgander said:

I thought W was for white

Nope. Waterproof.  Good for direct burial. A little dielectric grease applied where the puncture will be does not hurt (Those vampire should always be above grade )

SPT comes in many colors (some are less common) Brn, Bk, Wh, Beige, Clear(ish), Grn  are just some of what I have seen.

I have been using regular SPT1 wire fir a number of years, with no issues.  My ac stuff is all led so no heavy loads.