Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating a second view of a prop (top/side) and programming a Motion to the secondary view

TallDude

Greetings!

For our show we have a really tall tree with pixels. The preview is built with a view from above so we can see all sides and make Swirls look really pretty from the top down rather than out from the side (and swirl into other things surrounding it). I was asked to look into doing text, which I would want a front view so the text moves correctly. I have a prop called Tree_TopView and a prop called Tree_SideView. I set Tree_SideView as "use the same channels as [Tree_TopView]". I can program a motion onto Tree_TopView, the playback shows the animation for both views. However I can not program a motion onto Tree_SideView, which I need to do for text scrolling.

Is there a way to do this? Have 2 different "props" that I can program separately but use the same channels? Or am I SOL?

Many thanks!

I just tried your two props with one set to use the same channels as the other.  It worked.

I am wondering what you did to get a top down view of the tree.  I could not find a way to do that as a pre-built tree prop, but I was able to do it as "spokes"  The only limitation was that I could only build the spokes with the start point at the center and not the edge of one of the strings.  That meant that the tree also had to be built with the start point at the top of the tree.  Keep in mind is that means the actual tree would need to be built that way.  Granted, I built my tree with the controller at the top behind the star, but a lot of people build their tree with the controllers at the bottom.

19 hours ago, TallDude said:

Is there a way to do this? Have 2 different "props" that I can program separately but use the same channels? Or am I SOL?

Props that have "uses the same channels as" set do not appear in the sequence grid. It would be interesting to see your preview (lorprev file) to better understand what you are doing.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, MattBrown said:

Props that have "uses the same channels as" set do not appear in the sequence grid. It would be interesting to see your preview (lorprev file) to better understand what you are doing.

Simplified as I am rebuilding so don't have the other props. Wanting to use the Top-Down view as a way to make pretty patterns but the side views as a way to do text.

TreeTest.lorprev

On 12/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, k6ccc said:

I just tried your two props with one set to use the same channels as the other.  It worked.

I am wondering what you did to get a top down view of the tree.  I could not find a way to do that as a pre-built tree prop, but I was able to do it as "spokes"  The only limitation was that I could only build the spokes with the start point at the center and not the edge of one of the strings.  That meant that the tree also had to be built with the start point at the top of the tree.  Keep in mind is that means the actual tree would need to be built that way.  Granted, I built my tree with the controller at the top behind the star, but a lot of people build their tree with the controllers at the bottom.

Not able to add effects to the one sat as "use same channel as". For the Top-Down I am using 2 Fans, one rotated 180 degrees, as they allow you to choose either inside or outside for start of string.