Light-O-Rama Forums

AlphaPix channel 300 not working in shows

Dave1225

Connected an AlphaPix Classic 4 version 3 to my LOR sequences. From test mode in the Alpha pix, all channels 1-300 work. In LOR 6.1.6 Pro using Test Lights, channel 300 (blue) on last pixel does not work. All other channels work fine while testing. Show runs and controls all channels except the last channel 300 (same as when testing lights.) Not sure what else to do or test.

You did not give much to go on, but off hand, there is a configuration mismatch between the LOR software and the AlphaPix.

Thank you Jim for your quick response. When I access the AlphaPix local test mode... I can turn all channels on 1-300. All pixels on the strip work. Through the LOR "Test Lights" function, I can turn on all channels and they display correct colors per pixel via channels 1-299, but when I select channel 300 the last pixel does not turn on for blue. Red, Green, and Blue for all pixels indicate correctly as individual channels are selected in the test lights section. Please let me know what other information I can provide which would be helpful. From LOR, it is controlling all channels 1-299 fine, it's just channel 300 that for some reason isn't getting out from LOR to the AlphaPix controller. I am going to run Wireshark on it later today and see if the packet is leaving from LOR, at least then I can determine if it's on the LOR side or AlphaPix (hopefully.) Not sure if anyone else has come across this using E1.31 network where all channels get through fine except 1 and what I may be missing. 

Edited by Dave1225

Lots of people are running 100 pixel (or more) strings from LOR via E1.31 - including me (several dozen), so I doubt it's a LOR problem.  And off hand, I can't think of a LOR config setting that would give that result.  Can't help you specifically on the AlphaPix controller as I don't use those.

Let us know what WireShark shows.  I've done that, but it's been quite a while.

45 minutes ago, Dave1225 said:

Connected an AlphaPix Classic 4 version 3 to my LOR sequences. From test mode in the Alpha pix, all channels 1-300 work. In LOR 6.1.6 Pro using Test Lights, channel 300 (blue) on last pixel does not work. All other channels work fine while testing. Show runs and controls all channels except the last channel 300 (same as when testing lights.) Not sure what else to do or test.

Dave,

Shoot me a PM and i will help you. I run nothing but Alpha's.

What i will do is remote in and look at all your settings.

Thank you gsmith for your help! Turned out I was using same universe for multiple outputs (output 1: Universe 1 channels 1-150; output 2: Universe 1 Channels 151-300... which I should have configured output 1: universe 1, output 2: universe 2, etc.) This cleared up the issue of last pixel channel 300 not working. After updating the props with the corresponding outputs and starting channels all is working now :). Merry Christmas!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.  Seems odd that only channel 300 was affected.  Channel 300 is a perfectly legitimate channel assignment in DMX.  I take it that the issue was a config setting in the AlphaPix (and of course changing the channel assignments in LOR to match?

Yes... logically doesn't fully make sense to me why it wouldn't work that way (or why it worked for 99.6% of the channels), but now I know to assign each physical controller output to a unique designated universe. First year diving into pixels and dmx for me, so it's been a learning experience.

Yep, it's a learning experience.  I have the advantage that I started with pixels via E1.31 in 2012.  And computer networking is a fairly significant part of my job.

57 minutes ago, Dave1225 said:

Thank you gsmith for your help! Turned out I was using same universe for multiple outputs (output 1: Universe 1 channels 1-150; output 2: Universe 1 Channels 151-300... which I should have configured output 1: universe 1, output 2: universe 2, etc.) This cleared up the issue of last pixel channel 300 not working. After updating the props with the corresponding outputs and starting channels all is working now :). Merry Christmas!!!

Not a problem Dave. Sorry i could not talk louder. The stress of it is felt in my shoulder right now.

I would enjoy seeing video of the show if you have a YouTube page.

Merry Christmas!!