Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating groups of submodels

Red Lily Way Christmas

With many props like spinners and snowflakes  they can be sequenced with spinner and burst effects.  How can I create a snowflake prop and define it also as a spinner and also a burst effect prop.  So a snowflake defined as a snowflake, spinner and burst..  Then group each of these with other props that have the same.   So a group of burst props and a group of spinner props.  I don't  use xlights but it seems with what they call submodels they are able to do this.  Researching how I could do this for next year in S6.

In S6 (guessing also S5, but I skipped that version), I can create multiple groups using the same prop, and I can create a group that includes another group, and I can create a group that includes both a prop and a group.  It is also possible to create two props that use the same channels (but extra selections need to be made so that LOR is aware of this scenario).

In my preview, I have a number of RGB strings that perform some level of "outline".  So I've setup each string as a unique entity; a group that selects a useful "prop" (i.e. 8 strings in an actual tree, 16 in a mega-tree prop with a star, garage outline, roof-line, etc.); a grouping of like props (i.e. multiple trees, roof line and garage outline); one that includes all pixels but the mega-tree; and lastly all pixels.  All cases are useful for various uniform selections.  Also note that I've generated groups for a number of the non-RGB props, but so far I've not found a particularly useful reason this helps other than simplicity in viewing various props (the time I thought I had one, i preferred a manual method rather than what I got with grouping).

So if this solves the scenario your are looking for, then it does exist.  If there is a different need, then we might need more detail.

What I would like to do is have the single block effect up/down that goes in out and in on a nested circle (ie spinner) on a snowflake.  Many snowflakes are spinners within themselves.  A single block effect on these snowflakes like up and down, is just that.   I was exploring ways I could define a snowflake which is a custom prop and define also as a spinner to get these same effects.  Yeah there is a way to do it on the snow flake by chasing its motion effects rings . . .  just wondering if it could be defined and used like a spinner (ie nested circles).   And then group all of these 'nested circles' across all these props as a group of nested circles.

If you open up the prop definition for the prop and then go to Default Motion Effect Rows. Add a new motion effect row and select custom from the drop-down menu. Then you can click on each pixel you want in that sub-model. Then you can repeat for the other sub-models you want. And the same pixels can be used for different sub-models. Hope this helps.

Edit: I see you want to put these sub-models in a group. Not sure if what I posted will even help with what you want to do. I am assuming after you created all the sub-models, you could create a different group with that snowflake in it and just have the motion effect rows for the spinners. Then create another group with the snowflakes and only add the motion effect rows for the burst. That way you will only those specific motion effect rows for the snowflake in that group.

Edited by wicket82

I did find that the 'snowflake' prop type (new in S6) is a way to define a custom snowflake prop and have it behave like a spinner.  ex.  singleblock up/down goes out and in on the snow flake radius, and left and right does the arms around.  I'm finding that there are a lot of different effects that can be placed on the snowflake having it defined this way.   But you do lose the singleblock effects that the base custom flake provides, like panning left/right/up/down.   This is where I started,  I actually wanted it both ways.  I don't see how there is way to define the same prop (same channel config) each way.  That was what I was hoping for.  On the group note.  I did add this snowflake define this new way to the spinner group, and when applying the effect it acts the sames as the spinners (ie nested circles).  If there is a way to have it both ways, please share.  Thanks to all for the responses so far.

Update:   Creating the snowflake in the preview as a 'Snowflake' prop shape gets the motion effects of a spinner.   That is the in/out/left/right with the single block effect.  Creating a group of this prop defined as 'use preview' for its motion effects rows, gets you the motion effects you would see if you had a snow flake defined in your preview as a custom shape.   That is, you get the pan left/right, up/down on the snowflake with single block motion effects.

Though I still wish there was a way to define the prop in more than one way to be able to take advantage the strengths of each model. 

For example with the custom prop you get all the motion effects rows already defined from the vendor,  these would have to be redone manually if you define the prop shape as a snowflake to get the benefit of better single block effects.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an example of what I'm referring too.  Wreaths and Snowflakes usually have a ring structure.   Looking to create of group of just those ring submodels.   However I don't see how that it is done, as it seems these are in the motion effects rows and are not known outside of the actual prop itself.  If I am wrong and there is a way to do this, please let me know.

33 minutes ago, Red Lily Way Christmas said:

This is an example of what I'm referring too.  Wreaths and Snowflakes usually have a ring structure.   Looking to create of group of just those ring submodels.   However I don't see how that it is done, as it seems these are in the motion effects rows and are not known outside of the actual prop itself.  If I am wrong and there is a way to do this, please let me know.

I have been playing around with this idea to see if I could figure something out. As of now, I can't figure out a way to create a group with only submodels from prop. Maybe join in the zoom room meeting the first Tuesday of every month (can be found on the Official Light O Rama Community Support page). Although I think I remember you or someone else mentioning this at one of the previous meetings.

• Thanks 1