Light-O-Rama Forums

Using LOR Controllers in Rain/Snow

chowell

I know some of you state that your shows may not run correctly in the rain/snow. Do you actually shut the show down during the storms? Can there be damage to the controllers themselves or will the breakers just pop as usual? I have obviously popped GFI's during my static displays in the past and am just wondering if I should shut the show down during a storm.

Thanks much.

Corey

I leave mine on rain or shine (occasional snow and ice). Never a problem. If weather is causing GFCI trips, I stop the show then reset the breakers. This keeps the controllers powered up and generating heat.

I also run mine regardless of weather. I've only had 2 problems,

1. I forgot to shut the darn box and the board got wet and two of my channels got "stuck." I had to dry the board, fix a part and all was good. So make sure the box you are using is water proof and closed! :)

2. Tonight we had a bad lightning storm. I was actually sitting in my truck with my laptop controlling the show to make sure everything looked good before I start the christmas show up this year later this week. Lightning struck near by and the show went dark. Not sure what happened but I rebooted the PC controlling the show and it found the controller and started back up. A few minutes later another lightning bolt stuck nearby and the show went dark again. This is the first time I've seen any issues running the show in the lightning but no damaged occurred.

I do think it is wise to turn the show off and unplug the power source in a lightning storm just because of the investment made and the risk of frying the boards should one of the cords, electrical outlines or power lines nearby getting struck.

If it's just a rain shower or snow, I wouldn't be worried.

Whenever possible I prefer to shut down during the rain because of the possibility of voltage leakage. My worst fear is a child running through the yard and being electrocuted because I ran the show during the rain.

jeremy11 wrote:

Lightning struck near by and the show went dark.

Too bad you can't program that "Lighting" into your show :)