Light-O-Rama Forums

Nothing working

AllAmericanJock

I bought this unit on eBay and it was working fine and then it stopped. The board LED light doesn't light up at all and nothing works. The board is CTB32LD-V2. The mp3 player was upgraded by the seller to the N4-G4-MP3 Director. What am I doing wrong or is something wrong with the controller? I can take more pics or give any additional information needed. Thank you. 

1670801319744_copy_1228x1637_copy_491x655.jpg

20221211_152257_copy_1200x1600.jpg

I've never used a director before but start with the obvious. Verified power to it? Checked the fuses with an ohm meter and the unit unplugged?

Yes, pull the fuses out and put a volt ohm meter across the two ends of the fuse with the VOM in ohms mode.  Should be very close to zero.

The are removed by  pressing in SLIGHTLY, turning the cap CCW. that releases. you can check while the fuse is in the cap.

SOMETHING is Missing from that picture. Is the a cable between the director and the board. That sure will not fly if it is missing

5 minutes ago, dgrant said:

There are two fuses on the motherboard too.

I think they are bypassed by where the wires from the SIDE terminal of the fuse holder goes to. HOT is always on the end of those holders, that keeps the sleeve that is exposed safe.

Only 1 fuse controls Logic Power.

I also have never even seen a Director or the metal case controllers, but what are those four wires the drop off the bottom of the board photo?  I'm guessing that is related to the Director power and/or the panel power switch and fuses.

Another oddity - and this may just be the photo.  Just below the right end of the board is a screw with a bunch of wires connected.  I am assuming those are the ground wires from the power cables in the right side cable clamp, but they look black, not green in the photo.  Is that just the photo - and they really are the green ground wires?

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I think they are bypassed by where the wires from the SIDE terminal of the fuse holder goes to.

Looking at board photos in more detail, that does appear to be the case.

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I also have never even seen a Director or the metal case controllers, but what are those four wires the drop off the bottom of the board photo?  I'm guessing that is related to the Director power and/or the panel power switch and fuses.

Another oddity - and this may just be the photo.  Just below the right end of the board is a screw with a bunch of wires connected.  I am assuming those are the ground wires from the power cables in the right side cable clamp, but they look black, not green in the photo.  Is that just the photo - and they really are the green ground wires?

Looking at board photos in more detail, that does appear to be the case.

He has Spares then. All he needs to do is fingd the reason it blew (if that is the issue)

OP Are you the original owner of that unit?

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

He has Spares then. All he needs to do is fingd the reason it blew (if that is the issue)

OP Are you the original owner of that unit?

Says he purchased on Ebay. Never buy from Ebay. If I want to buy or sell a used controller I would do either on the official forums or Official FB page. Some ebay stores buy and sel stuff they pick up and know nothing about the item(s). Just my opinion.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Says he purchased on Ebay. Never buy from Ebay. If I want to buy or sell a used controller I would do either on the official forums or Official FB page. Some ebay stores buy and sel stuff they pick up and know nothing about the item(s). Just my opinion.

JR

Hoo boy!, kinda late to find issues. Hope it is just a fuse or a bad RJ45

On a normal 1602Wg3, there would be a ribbon cable going from the pins at the top left/center of the board (to the left of the RJ45's, and just to the right of a screw) to the readout on the 1602Wg3 face.

Not having torn one of these apart before, I don't know where the Director is getting power. Nor would I know how you would set the ID of the controller, as that would normally be done in the button's readout of the 1602Wg3.

Last I checked (or rather has best I can remember) there are 4 different fuses on those. Two on the metal plate a two on the board. Also, there is a small fuse to the right of the processor in the middle of the unit. I forget the specs on that, but it could have gone out as well. That would control the brains of the controller; and if that's knocked out the controller would be dead. Replace that and you are fine.

If you have a LOR Rs485 adapter, and you can SAFELY power up the controller, see if you can connect via the RS485 and establish a connection with the controller. Use the Hardware Utility to search for the controller. (You'll need to see the docs).

One other issue I've had on the 1602Wg3's, granted only once, was that the fuse assembly on the metal portion gave out, and the fuse would not longer make contact, and complete the circuit.

I bought from eBay through a seller who runs a LOR Facebook page. I was reluctant to buy from eBay, but he sounded like he was knowledgeable about LOR. I got the board to boot and come on. When the CTB32LD-V2 fist starts what should the led light be blinking, fast and then slow down or blink fast continuously or ??? Does the JP3 have a jumper or none. I checked all the fuses and all seems to check out. I did buy replacement fuses on Amazon but they seem to be a bit smaller (not sure what to do?) but are the same voltage rate and fast acting ceramic. The director is powered by the ribbon cable. The controller had a different director but was upgraded to the N4-G4-MP3 Director by the seller. 

Don, what did you do with fuses not making contact? 

15 minutes ago, Don said:

One other issue I've had on the 1602Wg3's, granted only once, was that the fuse assembly on the metal portion gave out, and the fuse would not longer make contact, and complete the circuit.

2 minutes ago, AllAmericanJock said:

Don, what did you do with fuses not making contact? 

Requested/Ordered replacement parts from LOR and replaced them.

As for JP3, I've never taken that unit apart. I couldn't say.

Have you downloaded the manual from LOR documentation?  (in your case, get the one for the director as well)

FWIW I would expect Port 1 on the director to get power from the controller as the director is also used stand alone (not built in)

• The topic was locked